THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How do you get stuborn stains out of case necks?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you get stuborn stains out of case necks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The tumbler with cleaner, walnut, corn media, etc. I still can see crap down in that neck.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you worry about it??

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a worn-out 22 Brush, wrap some 0000SteelWool around it, and turn it in the neck with one of the non-powered handles. Generally a couple of twists does it, plus it Deburrs and Chamfers so slick that there is no chance of nicking a Bullet Base when inserting it into the Case Mouth.

I suppose you could stick the Brush in a 1/4" Drill and give it a really fast spin. Since I do all of mine after every shot, it isn't built-up very thick to start with.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the 257 brush with different steel wool turned in a lathe.

I have tried the 323 brush with Flitz turned in the lathe.

The steel wool does a nice job on the chamfer.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't clean that stuff out. It helps give you good neck tension on the bullets.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kkcc,

I don't care what the inside of the case neck looks like but certainly want them all to be the SAME for a batch of reloads when I'm finished and preparing to seat the bullets.

My thinking is I don't want any accumilation of grpahite, wax or lube on the inside of the case necks since I would consider it an inconsistant variable that could perhaps be different from one load to the next.

I use a Lyman inside neck graphiter to lube the inside of the case necks for sizing and then give the inside of the necks a spin with a cordless drill and a plastic RCBS brush before they go into the tumbler. After that whatever settles itself into the case necks hopefully is the same for the entire batch of ammo.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a RCBS "Neck Brush" it works well knocks out the crud... I use the "Birchwood Casey Brass Cleaner" + tumble every 3 reloading...

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Find a new "friend" who has an industrial strength ultrasonic cleaner. Cases come back as new.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Wink, have all the luck in the world beer

I have given up on using a tumbler, especially on the smaller bores. There is always some of the media that stays behind, if you do not remove it it can play havoc with your loads, because you change the amount of free volume. I clean the inside of the necks with a copper brush before I resize the cases. I then soak the cases in a tablespoon of dish washing liquid and a tablespoon of tartaric acid, that I disolve in roughly a liter of boiling water, I leave it in for about a half an hour. I complete my case preperation and finish the vases of with a cloth dipped in Brillo, don't use braso or silvo, they contain amoniac.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote