New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load info for SR 4759 in a 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for any load data using SR 4759 for reduced loads in a 223. Want to use a 55 grain bullet at about 1050 to 1100 fps. This is for a suppressed load.

I have used Trail Boss but have some SR 4759 on hand and would like to see if it can be used. I can't find any load data on the IMR web page and don't have access to a Lyman reloading book that might have that type of information.

Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 67 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I burn a lot of that in my 223s...

11 grains will give you about 1750 fps..

so I'd guess work down from that point..

my guestimate is that you'll find it within the 5 to 6 grains range... but highly recommend work DOWN to that.. instead of just starting out in that range..

I can tell you 8 grains is fine to shoot and not worry about an obstructed barrel...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, thanks for the information. I have a chronograph and will start high and work low. Have to laugh at this as I know it is backwards from normal load development but it is no fun to pound stuck bullets out of a barrel because there was not enough powder to get them out.

Reliable ignition and constant velocities are my goals. Trail Boss seems to do a lot better with small rifle magnum primers than standard.

Only thing I don't like about SR 4759 is I can't get it to meter consistently out of my RCBS Uniflow so it is not as fast to load as what trail boss would be.

Posts: 67 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote