Find
Notify
Tools

I weighed some Winchester 308 brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Butch and I agree on a lot of things and we most likely do on this but just want to clarify if I may. The range you are shooting makes all the difference in the world as that determines how accurate both the shooter and the equipment must be.

I prepare all of my ammo the same albeit competition for 1K BR or a sporter even down to bullet bearing surface sorts. Overkill for some shots yes but it is my process and it works plus Speedy gets pissed if I screw up stuff! lol Eeker

Butch weigh in on this one if you disagree and all of my dies both sizing and seating are made from the reamerS used to cut the chamber.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are saying and if you have the time and inclination, go for it. I'm just saying that hunting 300yds and closer that trigger time is more important than reloading time. If you have learned to handle your weapon, aimed properly a 1"MOA rifle will kill them dead dead with one shot. If spending more time prepping your loads and it makes you feel better and increases your confidence, definitely go for it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I understand what you are saying and if you have the time and inclination, go for it. I'm just saying that hunting 300yds and closer that trigger time is more important than reloading time. If you have learned to handle your weapon, aimed properly a 1"MOA rifle will kill them dead dead with one shot. If spending more time prepping your loads and it makes you feel better and increases your confidence, definitely go for it.
Butch

Agreed 100% AND for 300yds and under use a Flat Base.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where you been Dave?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fprefect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I resize, then trim, chamfer and then weigh.

If you are planning to use the cases in benchrest competition, I would also suggest checking the volume of each case and culling the ones with the highest and lowest capacity. I usually use a small diameter ball powder such as H110 or H380 to do the measuring. The amount of tolerance is up to you and of course the number of cases you have to work with.

I've found that the case volume is usually more important than the case weights, but of course as a rule the ligher cases will have the larger capacity and the heavier the less, so the "off size/weight casing will show up using one culling method or the other.

F. Prefect

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and generally been regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Bart B.,
I don't know where you got your facts, but for the greater part, you are wrong. Sierra does not make a 308 bullet that is a true 1/4MOA shooter. Not just once in a while, a true 1/4MOA averages that.
Well, this is the kind of statememt I'd expect from an I.K.I.A. in the shooting sports. Butch'll prove it if he comes back with more negative talk pointed my way.

Those thousands of 30 caliber HPMK's I've got that tested in the low two's, ones and upper zero's when they were dumped in the barrel from the pointing machine then packed in plain brown boxes without polishing the lanolin off of them must have been flukes.

Bart B.

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bart B., every time you post crap like this the more terrible you look. World record BR rail guns do not shoot that well.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Butch----just let it go---some things he says are correct and some of it is way out there..

Bart---How many HOF points do you have??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it when the kids don't play well.

I am new to this reloading stuff but have found some things that don't work at all like: Nothing is the same weight or size. All things being unequal some members would squawk about 1/20K of an inch and 1/1K of a gram. That's kwl, but it turned a valid question into personality conflict.

Posts: 26 | Location: South Park, Colorado | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup! How many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch says world record BR rail guns don't shoot in the low two's, ones and upper zero's. I know that.

Boss Hoss asks me how many HOF points I have. I don't know. None as far as I know. I don't care.

Bart B.

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote