New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 cal varmint bullet recomendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 257 Ackley Imp. and need a varmint bullet to use for fireforming and the occasional prarie dog shoot. I might as well stop a beating heart while I'm fireforming brass. I was thinking about either the 75gr. V-max or the 87gr. TNT. Which powders work the best with the lighter bullets, I have IMR-4064 and a little Varget on hand. Any other suggestions would be a big help as I am having a hell of a time trying to make a decision. Will the lighter bullets be adequate for fireforming or should I just burn up the rest of my 100gr. BTs that won't shoot worth a hoot in my rifle!?
Thanks in advance guys!
Elk Country

[ 12-17-2002, 02:55: Message edited by: Elk Country ]

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ElkCountry,
I have a 25-06 Ackley and when I fire-form my brass I use 39 grains of IMR4895 with a Sierra 100 grain spire-point boat tail. I seat the bullet touching the lands. Hell, not only does it form brass, but it shoots pretty well too. Of course this works for me and may not in your rifle. With this load I have not generated any pressure signs in my rifle. Good luck.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
E.C.,

Me too! I just loaded up some sierra hp's behind 4350 for fireforming, still waiting on the bbl though so I cant speak as to results yet.

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Montana I shot 100 gr.Speer Hollowpoints for gophers and prairie dogs.They were real accurate in my 2506 and the results were spectacular.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric J>
posted
EC, I've shot both the 75gn V-max and the 87gn TNT in several .25-06's. Your velocity in the AI is going to be very comparable to mine, @ 3600 to 3700fps. I use ALOT of Reloader 19 for the lighter bullets. I'm getting sub 1/2 moa groups. Both of these bullets are EXTREMELY EXPLOSIVE at these velocities (translate: "Don't shoot anything you want to keep!"). As far as accuracy goes, both are good. I think the TNT has a posted speed limit but I've never spun one apart.

<Oscar>
posted
You may want to try 85 grain B.T.'s. They have been very accurate for me. With the faster powers that you mentioned, the 75 grain VMax may be the best. Also very accurate. ... Oscar

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the Barnes 100grn XLC, explosive expansion and a BC of .420

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Dan, I appreciate the reply but there will NEVER be a Barnes bullet exit a muzzle of a rifle I own!
I think I'm going to try both the V-max and the TNT and see which one my gun like the best.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 87 grain TNT's are accurate in my M99 .250 Savage.

<Chuck66>
posted
Don't leave out IMR and Hogden 4831. Some guns like one over the other but they give you speed and accuracy. I have loaded for three 25cal. and all of them liked these two the best.

Chuck T.

[ 12-19-2002, 02:56: Message edited by: Chuck66 ]