Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to reloading
 Login/Join

posted
I am somewhat new to reloading. Set up my fathers old reloading equipment last summer and have loaded some .357, .44 and .41 mags with success. I have recently purchased a TC Pro Hunter in 300 win mag and want to work up some fast and accurate loads for target and hunting for whitetail. What is the best way to setup the bullet depth off of the lands? A person told me that he uses some cold blue dipped on the bullet to see when it touches the lands and adjusts from there. Any thoughts on this? With the taper of the bullet if you adjusted back say .010 the true gap would be more, true? Also seeing this is a single shot could I get away with not using a crimp on the bullet, or would I get better accuracy from crimping a bit? One more thing about changing primers. Is it OK to change brands once an accurate load is found to zero it in better without running into pressure problems. I've read that some are hotter than others. Thanks

Posts: 11 | Location: north wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Stony point makes a guage for measuring to the lands. I like it over all others.
You can make one using a case that has been fire formed in the chamber. Slpit the neck down to the sholder junction. seat a bullet long and blacken it. I use a magic marker. chamber the case slowly and completely. slowly remove the case and you should see the inprint from the lands on the bullet.
measure from the base to the mark. that should get you close. I start about .015" with my .300wm the magnumns like a little jump and you DONOT have to crimp on a single shot.
When working up loads if you switch components always reduce the load and work back up.
when switching primers the only time I reduce is if I am at amax charge or switch to magnumn primers.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by northwoods39:
I am somewhat new to reloading. Set up my fathers old reloading equipment last summer and have loaded some .357, .44 and .41 mags with success. I have recently purchased a TC Pro Hunter in 300 win mag and want to work up some fast and accurate loads for target and hunting for whitetail. What is the best way to setup the bullet depth off of the lands? A person told me that he uses some cold blue dipped on the bullet to see when it touches the lands and adjusts from there. Any thoughts on this? With the taper of the bullet if you adjusted back say .010 the true gap would be more, true? Also seeing this is a single shot could I get away with not using a crimp on the bullet, or would I get better accuracy from crimping a bit? One more thing about changing primers. Is it OK to change brands once an accurate load is found to zero it in better without running into pressure problems. I've read that some are hotter than others. Thanks

I prefer the super razzu black magic marker on the bullet max OAL guage. Don't find a max load & then start changing components!! You change 1 thing it's start all over!! MY favorite in MY VZ-24 300WM 23" tube is WW brass 75.5g RL22 180g NP-pp Fed 215 3.340 OAL @ 3,000 fps.

Posts: 2356 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use the split case method because most of my carts. are wildcat or semi production & not available in current gauges like the StoneyPoint.
Crimping, I only crimp the heavy recoiling rounds like the 375h&h & up.
Switching primers, maybe. If your loads are well off the max. changing a primer shouldn't affect your pressure much. It can change accuracy a bit so once you have a good load, lay in at least 1000 primers from the same brand & lot.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I like the split case method, simple but effective. I have just purchased some H-1000 and Reloader-22 and will be starting with some Nosler partitions for a hunting load and Hornady 168 gr. match BT/HP bullets for some target shooting.

Posts: 11 | Location: north wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2007Reply With Quote