Find
Notify
Tools

Flat-nose bullets in .300 WinMag???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
OK, if this just sounds way beyond the limits of advisability, let me know. At this point it's just a thought and a question.

In preparation for a good feral hog load, I was perusing my stock of bullets and spied a box of Hornady 180-grain flat-noser's. What is the consensus on working up a load for the .300 WM using this bullet?

I know it is designed as a .30-30 bullet, so what are the implications relative to velocity? Can it handle moderate .300 WM velocities?

If it's possible, I think it would be a devastating load for pigs. If not possible, please set me straight.

Thanks,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be mindful of the fact that bullets designed for use in the .30-30 are engineered for a velocity that, generally, is not in excess of 2,300 fps. Consider that with your .300 Win. Mag. you can easily add 800 fps of muzzle velocity to this. All of the sudden this bullet that is effective at .30-30 velocity will most likely come unglued at the magnum velocity. For a feral hog I would definitely look for a bullet that is compatible with the velocity. As far as blunt nose projectiles go Hornady makes bot 180 gr. and 220 gr. round nose bullets that would be better suited to your needs.

David Schnabel

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute....

If they are 180 gr. then they are RN, and they are designed for nomal velocity magnum loads.

IF... they are 170 gr., then they are FLAT NOSE and are designed for the 30-30 velocities.

What DO YOU HAVE?

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Not suggested.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, all. I'm obviously barking up the wrong tree and will cease and desist.

Terry: MY MISTAKE, I HAD 170'S AFTER ALL. SORRY FOR THE TYPO.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Here's a strange story. I was loading a friend some 150 grain barnes bullets designed for 30-30. If you've never seen them they have the biggest hollow point I've ever seen and look real mean. He had great accuracy with them and took 3 deer with excellent bullet performance. (we were also impressed with wt retention as we found one at the end of the 100 yard range with a huge mushroom that still weighed 145 grains after slamming into rocks & sand.)
So I decide to moly coat some and start thinking how cool they'd look sitting on top of a nickel 30-06 case in my rifle. "cool stuff" to show your hunting buddy's right?!
So I load some down to approx 30-30 speed and sight my '06 at 100 yds. Then along comes a deer to my stand on the 2nd day of season. I took a fairly level shot at him and hit him in the shoulder and off he goes.
I didn't think I missed but couldn't find blood or hair indicating the bullet had hit and passed through. I decided to wait 15 min and started tracking. I finished him off about 20 min later. What I found surprised me --that bullet hit the shoulder and did a 90 degree turn down and out the bottom of the brisket.
I can't say if this was just a freak deal or what but the moral of the story, for me, was to use the bullets intended for the cartridge from now on. From here on out I'll use closer to full power loads with spritzers and do the job faster, better, and hopefully more reliable. Dont know if this helps but thought I's share it with you!!