THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What "Electronic"Powder Dispenser and Scale?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What "Electronic"Powder Dispenser and Scale?

I'm in the market for a new "Electronic" powder dispenser and scale. RCBS has their new "ChargeMaster" Combo, and Pact has their new "High Speed" Dispenser System. I was wondering if anybody here had any actual hands-on comparisons of the two? The Pact is about $40 cheaper and a side-by-side design. I was under the impression that Pact made the RCBS line, just under a different camouflage! But I'm now thinking that maybe the RCBS model is a totally new beast. I've checked out both of their web-sites, but can't really find any real specs. for either. Looks as if Pact has the better-written warrantee of the two though.

Any Recommendations?

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several threads started on this same topic within the last 7 or 8 pages of this forum, here's one of em...

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/929104403

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lyman 1200 DPS its great and has transformed the speed of my reloading

Posts: 103 | Location: England | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decision made, along with the purchase!

An article I was directed to: http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html
helped make up my mind.

JScottRupp, I want to think you for that article. It was beneficial to me in making my decision. In the end I went for the Pact unit at a cost of $229 with free shipping, and ordered directly from Pact.

One aspect of my decision was the statement here:

[EDITOR's NOTE: In the months since we tested the RCBS ChargeMaster, there have been more than a few reports of machines that had unstable zeros, or threw a charge that was, in fact, higher than the load weight reported, by as much as 0.4 grains. Accordingly, we recommend you check your ChargeMaster against a beam scale or lab scale of known accuracy. If you see a problem, particularly with overcharges, we recommend you return the unit to RCBS for replacement.]

Being that the RCBS unit is still fairly new, and as you say the maker is unknown. I decided to go with the known reliability of the Pact unit. The RCBS unit has a lot of features that I see as unnecessary and possibly dangerous, such as the not having to recalibrate for different powders, and the 30 load memory. Too many variables, that might cause problems.

The warrantee was also a consideration. While Pact's is only 1 year on the scale, it is Lifetime on the dispenser. RCBS's is 2 years on both units.

One aspect I'm not too fond of is the Infrared Port communication between the dispenser and the scale. I couldn't find any information of communication type on the RCBS unit. But I would assume it was the same. I would much rather see a data cable connection.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote