THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Electronic powder dispencer and scale, RCBS 1500 vs Lyman DPS II

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic powder dispencer and scale, RCBS 1500 vs Lyman DPS II
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

I want to upgrade the way I am metering my powder. I have had a Lyman electronic Le-1000 scale & a PACT electronic power trickler dispencer for the past five years.

When I am dispencing power charges, I use my RCBS gravity feed dispencer to get the desired charge within 3 to 5 tenths of a grain and use the electronic PACT powder trickler, over the scale to get it perfect. It works well, but I want a new system. It is very easy to knock over the dispenser and spill powder all over the reloading desk, I have only done this about 5 times so far. Mad

I am looking at two new electronic systems the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 & the Lyman DPS II... both are comparible in price. I am more concerned about accuracy, ease of use, repeatability and so on... Have any of you guys any experience with them?

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I just bought the RCBS, I have ran some test charges through it and I am impressed. Very accurate and fast. The time it takes me to seat a bullet generates the next charge..I checked the charges on my balance beam and the were mostly right on, a couple were +/- .1. Just as advertised.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check this out before you buy....

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

Natchez had the RCBS Chargemaster Combo on sale for $240 recently.

Here's a previous thread on the subject..

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/571103003

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi WT:

Great links..... that was worth my post. Looks like the RCBS is the winner to me and Nachez is the place to buy.

Many thanks.... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that the RCBS combo is the best because its fast and accurate. The lyman supposedly takes a long time to warm up and is slow to dispense.

Posts: 63 | Location: NM | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's true, Joe....it has a 30 minute warm up mode which you can cancel and you can use it anyway, but accuracy may not be best. I have tried it and checked the loads and they were right on, but it may not always be the case. The dispensing is slow and can be a pain, but is easily worked around by seating the bullet of the last load poured, it just takes a little organization and it works well. I'm very happy with my DPSII which cost me $200 shipped...but for another $40 right now, the RCBS is the right choice!!

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My newer version PACT has been superb. If the RCBS beats it by even a small margin, then the choice to me would be RCBS or RCBS.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I just purchased the RCBS Combo dispenser and love it. I had a Lyman DPS II and the program went on the blink and I returned it for a refund and purchased the RCBS. The RCBS is fast and accurate and easy to clean (dumping powder back into the powder can). The Lyman is accurate but slow to warm-up, slow to dispense and a pain to dump the powder hooper and clean. My 2 cents worth anyway!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the new PACT scale/dispenser combo, and it is accurate and quick. Having said that, I didn't think I would care, but having no memory for previous loads/powder is a pain-- you must recalibrate for every powder and charge weight. I suppose this is a safety factor in that you can't recall a program for one powder when you actually have a different one in the dispenser as easily, but If I was doing it over I would definitely go with the RCBS.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the RCBS for a week it was all over the place , from a little to as much as a half a grain off , I sent it back as I could not trust it . i ended up with a Pact Digital I love it it is slower but it is good it is basically always on they do not compare, be sure and buy the scales also . BIll