New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Pump 358 Win.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just found a Rem 760 Pump that has been rechambered to a 358 Win.
It is sitting at the local Gander mountain Store.

What should I offer for it?

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Former FFL holder. I have no way to say without seeing it, however, let me guess that it is in "decent" condition for field operation.

Probably should sell for $300.00, unless the fellow knows that the 358 is an awesome woods cartridge.

The cartridge does two things, makes it very attractive to someone who knows how good it is, or makes it a real dog because of the way the public totally has fallen for the speed calibers.

Let him know, you know, both angles on this caliber. Then see what he'll settle for. This honestly is an excellent cartridge capable of good accuracy. And dropping game on the spot with well placed shots.

Beats the 356 Win my a decent margin because of case capacity. And my 356 will do about anything except reach out past 200 yards. The 358 will probably get you to three with authority.

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Beats the 356 Win my a decent margin because of case capacity. And my 356 will do about anything except reach out past 200 yards. The 358 will probably get you to three with authority.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Lonewolf:

The last time I checked, the .358 and .356 have identical cases except for the rims. Why do you say that the .358 has more capacity?

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek. Because of the case constuction, including a slightly thicker web and thicker walls, the .358 does have a slightly greater capacity.
From the Speer loading manual #13:
"Although it shares most external dimensions with the .358 Winchester, the .356 has heavier walls that reduce it's casr capacity. .358 Winchester data must not be used for loading this cartridge."
I think that says it all.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Thanks Paul,

That is exactly correct.

You saved me from having to look in a manual myself.

I don't know why, but this reloading stuff, like case capacity, just sits in my mind. Of course, most of the time it is just useless trivia. But on occasion it is a nice little show of "knowledge?".

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.