THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's called "Shooting Chrony" for a reason...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
and, after 9 years with it, I shot it.

The shot was made with a Sig P238 in 380ACP. Distance was about 5ft. The load was a 90gr Hornaday XTP over 4.0grs of Alcan-5, WW brass and CCI500 primer. This is a starting load so the lack of penetration and expansion isn't yet a concern. Perhaps a different expansion media next time? Retained weight is 87.48grs.

No velocity readings as this was the 2nd shot.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Coal Miner
posted Hide Post
Well now, isnt that what you're supposed to do? Shoot THROUGH the crony. rotflmo
quote:
Originally posted by k-22hornet:
and, after 9 years with it, I shot it.

The shot was made with a Sig P238 in 380ACP. Distance was about 5ft. The load was a 90gr Hornaday XTP over 4.0grs of Alcan-5, WW brass and CCI500 primer. This is a starting load so the lack of penetration and expansion isn't yet a concern. Perhaps a different expansion media next time? Retained weight is 87.48grs.

No velocity readings as this was the 2nd shot.

The following is a super slow motion video of a round leaving the muzzle of my AR!!!

Congress has recently stumbled across an area of significant savings. They have found that they no longer have to use tax payers’ dollars to receive a colonoscopy. They’ve found that all they have to do is open their eyes and look around.

Posts: 20 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 14 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. Best one was after giving a friend hell for shooting the chronograph I sat down and did the same...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something about handguns.

I clipped mine with a .44 Mag.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only good thing about shooting a Crony
is that they will take it back in trade.
I won't say how I know this.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Use enough gun the next time. I bagged my cousins shooting chrony with my 375 H&H shooting a 270 Gr. TSX. It made a much more impressive wound channel than your .380. dancing

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2320 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
k-22hornet

k-22hornet Are you left handed??

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there and done that, 22-250
It was a kill shot

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2641 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya'll don't get to feeling special now! I, Too, can place my name on that claim. Mine was very impressive though. I used a 500 S & W and it was a through and through. I'm much more careful with my Oehler now.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first one I did in was a constantly malfuntioning Oehler M10. After getting it back from the third time, I'd running a new load over it and it started once more with the screwy reading. A well place round from my 30-06 killed the M10 and put me out of my misery. Roll Eyes Numer two was a Shooting Chrony as was number three. Number two got pinwheeled by a 240 gr. wadcutter from my .44 Spl. as I ran some loads with a new bullet. Still haven't figured out how I did that one. bewildered Nuber three had a bullet from my 30-06 go astray and hit one of the posts holding the sun shade. I'm still trying to figure that one out as well. Number four that when back to Chrony just went because it turned toes up and died. I've always been well satisfied with the service from Shooting Chrony though. They've reated me quite well.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plastic sabots from a front stuffer work really well.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My chrony fell in action to a 400gr Hornady great plains muzzle loader round. Something about recoil related movement due to poor tightening of the rear sight adjustment screw. I mannaged to hit it right through the numbers. Beware of stray gas checks, my oehler has a few scars on the shade uprights.

Posts: 90 | Location: Land of the Gila, Nm | Registered: 17 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I shot one of the rods off of mine last summer. with a 300 WSM and 53 grain Barnes tsx sabot. It did read it a 5000 FPS but I only tried it once. Eeker

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been lucky, shooting over my PACT-One chrongraph since 1986 and it's still going strong. I even let my club use it for testing of competitor's ammunition at USPSA matches without any of them shooting it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
YEP! Gett'n pretty good at rebuilding the screens on my Oehler M33....it's like ride'n a bike...no matter how careful you are, you'll eventually fall off!

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I've been lucky, shooting over my PACT-One chrongraph since 1986 and it's still going strong. I even let my club use it for testing of competitor's ammunition at USPSA matches without any of them shooting it.

It's days are numbered. sofa
Paul B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beware of stray gas checks, my oehler has a few scars on the shade uprights.

I have the cheapest version of the Chrony that I use when shooting gas checked bullets. They sell a kind of clip on plastic cover to protect the readout screen.
Paul B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are 2 types of people who own a Chrony those who have shot one and those who well shoot one.

Lucky for me mine was just a flesh wound. Roll Eyes It still works. Big Grin

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day Fella's,

Shooting Chrono's, appears to be a very popular past time!!!

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Shooting Chrony just like that one and if you pay shipping I will send it to you so you can do some more penetration testing on it. I thought it was a steal because of the low price but since using it I realize it was money wasted.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No trophy fee's and clean up is a breeze. Sounds more and more like they might get to be an endangered species.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I put a 9mm round straight through mine. It still worked fine. I donated it to my IPSC club when I got my PACT.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have a look into one of these :

http://www.magnetospeed.com/

A mate had one at our club last Saturday, there's no way you'll ever shoot it.

It's portable, and bullet proof !

Regards John

Posts: 10 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot any of my chronograph in the 20+ years I've been using them.

I did however WANT to shoot my Shooting Chrony Beta simply because I hated it and all it's missed shots.

Posts: 160 | Location: NE MN | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I replaced the steel rods holding the shades on my Chrony with wooden dowels, so at least I need to hit it centre of mass for a kill.
I guess mine's a good 'un, as it is rare indeed for it to miss a reading.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bamboo BBQ skewers make good screen rods . You can hit one and the unit will stay put , instead of hitting the ground ! Carry a couple of spares and you'll hardly miss a beat .

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Something about handguns.

I clipped mine with a .44 Mag.

Same here

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:

Roll EyesThey must work better across the pond! claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:

Roll EyesThey must work better across the pond! claproger

I put it down to rarely seeing the sun here. Big Grin

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brother in law needed a new after his first shot over his brand new one.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Use enough gun the next time. I bagged my cousins shooting chrony with my 375 H&H shooting a 270 Gr. TSX. It made a much more impressive wound channel than your .380. dancing

We need pictures.

Here's one of a Chrony cleaned and gutted with a 45-70.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=2511043&m=446105658

Lost Sheep

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Threads like this one are why the box I keep my chrony in reads in bold majic marker "DONT SHOOT ME"!!!

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Made the hole too big, inch x inch wouldn't been a problem.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my chrony in with a 12 gauge sabot, the slug missed it but the sabot or at least 1/2 of the sabot penetrated the LCD and got into the vitals
believe it or not I got it fixed for around $25, new LCD screen and a coupe of electrical connectors, it now has a 1/4" lexon sheet on a 45 degree angle mounted in front of it and yes I will accept the published speed of those sabot slugs

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine wears two 11" pieces of channel iron. It will take 3,000 ft lbs (at a shallow angle) without a mark. Well, there is a skid mark, but no dent.

Lost Sheep