New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure signs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The only way I know how to judge pressure signs is to look at the primer and in most cases when load developing I have been able to judge correctly. But the other day when loading for 6.5X55 I was able to load a 100gr Sierra varminter to 3400fps without signs of pressure when most books have that same bullet at 3000-3100fps. The load was 53grs of N160 and a CCI primer.
Do you know of any other way to read pressure signs.

Thanks.

Posts: 35 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
velocity is a pressure sign. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch nailed it.

Other pressure signs: rifle bolt where your nose used to be, wood splinters from the stock in your left forearm.

By the time you're seeing the usual pressure signs, you're often in the 70,000+ PSI range. My suggestion is that you either get a PressureTrace, or stick to published loads.

Catastrophic failure is rare, unless you greatly exceed the pressure limits. What does happen is that your rifle ages far faster than it should.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about measuring the case with a micrometer.
Like measuring the belt on belted magnums.

Posts: 35 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trg:
What about measuring the case with a micrometer.
Like measuring the belt on belted magnums.

Hey trg, That is an excellent way to begin measuring First Hand Pressure directly from the case as opposed to some arbitrary, random picked Velocity or Second Hand info from a Strain Gauge. In fact, using a Micrometer to measure the effects of Pressure is the very best and Safest Pressure Detection Method available.

If you decide to go this route, call the Expansion measured across the Belt - Case Head Expansion(CHE). And there is an even better place forward of the Belt to measure the Expansion called Pressure Ring Expansion(PRE).

I like to measure and record both CHE and PRE on my Test Loads. Here are some tips for you:

PRE:

1) You must have a 0.0001" capable Micrometer. A 0.001" capable Caliper just isn't accurate enough.
2) Buy one box of Factory Ammo to establish your Benchmark Standard for PRE.
3) Fire the Factory Ammo and record the value of the widest portion of a fired Case just forward of the Belt(see below).
4) Do this by rotating the Pressure Ring between the anvils of the Micrometer without forcing it to turn. The widest dimension you can measure that will "hang the case" between the anvils is your PRE.

For Example, if 0.52x6" will "hang" between the anvils and 0.52x7" will not "hang", then 0.52x6" is the PRE.

NOTE: This is not the normal way Micrometers are used. But for measuring PRE accurately, this is the way to do it.

5)Average the PRE on all 20 Factory Loaded Cases and record this value as your Benchmark Standard.
6) Always Partial-Full Length Resize or Full Length Resize when doing the Test Loads. DO NOT Neck Size.
7) PRE is good on shots 1 through 6-9 depending upon the strength of the Loads.
8) STOP when a Test Load measures the same PRE as the Benchmark Standard.

CHE:

1) You must have a 0.0001" capable Micrometer. A 0.001" capable Caliper just isn't accurate enough.
2) Do not measure CHE on the initial firing.
3) Always measure the CHE from the exact same spot on the case. Use something in the Headstamp to align with.
4) Always Partial-Full Length Resize or Full Length Resize when doing the Test Loads. DO NOT Neck Size.
5) Reload the fired Factory Case and measure the Belt in one spot. Call this "Before" and record the value.
6) Fire the Test Load and measuring the exact same spot as before, record the "After" value.
7) Subtract the Before from the After and you have the CHE (record this too).
8) CHE is good on shots 2 through 6-9 depending upon the strength of the Loads.
9) STOP when a Load creates 0.0005" CHE.

Those tips will keep you out of Pressure Problems if you follow them.

"Velocity alone" is a pitiful Pressure Indicator because it can be misleading to a person just beginning to reload. For someone who does have some experience reloading and understands why the previous sentence is true, then Velocity can be a useful "additional" Pressure Indicator.

Always use every Pressure Indication Method available to you as you develop Loads from below.

Absolutely no need at all to hose-up a firearm by hanging Strain Gauges on it. However, it is a good way to keep some peoples time occupied, billfolds depleted, reduce the trade value of their firearms, and "BEST OF ALL" it provides you a visual clue to stand well clear of them at the Range. [Wink]

[ 10-24-2003, 04:30: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to respectfully dissent from the idea that case head expansion is a reliable pressure indicator. True, it gives you a number every time. Also true, the resolution of the method is in the neighborhood of 10,000 PSI. You can just barely distinguish 50,000 PSI from 60,000 PSI.

The math is simple. .0005" corresponds to roughly 50,000 PSI, give or take. Your measurements are not going to be any better than .0001", and probably a bit worse. So your resolution limit is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 PSI. That's a full order of magnitude worse that the old CUP method, which is in turn significantly worse than a well-done strain gauge system.

So, if you love the system, keep on using it. Whatever works for you is fine with me. Just don't harbor the illusion that the number it gives you is very precise.

You can read the full write-up on formal measurement systems analysis in the summer issue of Varmint Hunter.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) I put in more powder until the primer falls out, leaks badly, or bolt sticks.

2) Then I work down until I find a load that has long brass life [I load at the range].

3) Then I load down until I find a very accurate load.

I don't care if the pressure is over one million nervous nellies, I have found the right load at the right pressure.

What were you going to do with that measurement again?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way to measure pressure is with a strain gage hooked to either PressureTrace or the Oehler M43, that'll let you know when you're at the door. [Wink] A Good chronograph such as the Oehler 35 will get you in the neighborhood, CHE or PRE should at least let you know when you've entered the city limits... If you like the old horse and buggy, stick with it, but I'll drive my Ford thanks. Technology has come aways since Hot Core was out last. [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hot core, to suggest that playing with a micrometer gives you uniform, precise and accurate pressure estimates, accross chamberings, powder burn rates, cartridges, brass manufacturers, etc, is, well, geez, errr..... "optimistic". Yeah, that's what it is...

That said, all available information should be used. If something isn't appear right, something is probably wrong.

Primer appearance, if you KNOW the rifle, can be helpful. If you don't know the rifle, it can be very misleading (it's a good indication of headspace, though!). If you want to measure head case expansion, use once fired brass (in that chamber) of a known hardness. Bolt lift "feel" can likewise be very helpful, or very misleading (especially in factory chambers). Velocity is the most reliable, unless you have something quite wrong (like the wrong size bullet). JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The math is simple. .0005" corresponds to roughly 50,000 PSI, give or take. Your measurements are not going to be any better than .0001", and probably a bit worse. So your resolution limit is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 PSI. That's a full order of magnitude worse that the old CUP method, which is in turn significantly worse than a well-done strain gauge system.

Denton - actually 85,000 x case wall thickness = amount of pressure necessary for expansion.

It's lower then you might expect. .0005" may only be an increase of 2300 psi. (not cup)

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C...

I'm not sure that I'm exactly understanding what you're telling me. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Primer appearance, if you KNOW the rifle, can be helpful. If you don't know the rifle, it can be very misleading (it's a good indication of headspace, though!). If you want to measure head case expansion, use once fired brass (in that chamber) of a known hardness. Bolt lift "feel" can likewise be very helpful, or very misleading (especially in factory chambers). Velocity is the most reliable, unless you have something quite wrong (like the wrong size bullet). JMO, Dutch.

Dutch - primer appearance is just that, primer appearance when used by itself. you could know your rifle down to the molecular level and primer appearance (by itself) doesn't tell you anything except that it's a primer.

I agreed with the velocity theory up to a few months ago. I had an instant velocity jump within a load ramp that came without warning. (Well, by itself it came without warning) The problem with watching velocities is, in my case, if the velocity increase is immediate it's too late.

The diffferent views and ideas are controversal at best. I like a combination of things to watch as relating to pressure. Velocity, case head expansion, felt recoil, case extraction, and heard report (the sound of the gun) are the things I keep an eye on. By themselves they are just misc. data entries;when used together, one can keep a pretty good handle on things.

Of course, you still need a baseline to work off of, that is where either loads books and/or factory loads come into play.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
denton - Yeah - if I relate this through my typing. Take a case (any caliber), and let's use a wall thickness of .027". Brass tensile strength is 85,000 psi (this is a standard - that figure will not change)

85,000 psi x .027" = 2295 psi

This means it will take 2295 psi to start expanding 1 square inch of your case. Now, you will have to figure the size of your particular case (bearing surface) to get an exact number. Let's use 2.5 square inches - it will take 5738psi to start expanding this size case with .027" wall.

One question that I have at this point is if this psi is additive throughout the pressure curve or not. In other words, I don't know if brass growth runs exponentially with a figured start psi (2295 in the above example).

The reason for my post to you was that .0005" growth probably doesn't equal 50,000 psi. we still need pressure to start moving the bullet and continue moving it down a given length barrel.

Clear? [Confused] I hope I helped ya. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
T/C

85,000 is a standard. It is the tensile strength for fully work hardenend brass. So far, you are correct.

However, not all cartridge brass is completely, fully case hardened in the case head. Compare Lapua to Federal in 308, sometimes. Assuming "all brass is equal" will result in false conclusions. JMO, Dutch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good point. Wonder how the Pressure Trace sytem distinguishes that? [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C.. Thanks.

I can answer the PressureTrace question.... perhaps not perfectly, but an answer, at least.

If you had some kind of caseless cartridge, so that the steel of the chamber took all of the pressure, then you'd have a very simple relationship between pressure and the number of microstrains on the gauge, microstrains = k x pressure. Inserting the brass changes the equation, so that it is microstrains = k x pressure - b. b is a constant, due to the brass. It is around 5,000 PSI. You'd have to make some pretty radical changes in your assumptions to move that number very much, compared to the first term. So fine tuning the term for the brass doesn't buy you much.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Ken Howell, author of Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns and contemporary of P.O. Ackley says:
quote:
For decades, I defended the notion of miking cases to get an idea of the internal pressures being developed. I'm the editor who originally published both Bob Hagel's and Ken Waters' articles on how they do it. I also published Waters' "Pet Loads" article as a supplement for his Pet Loads book.
At the time, Waters and I both considered Hagel's method extremely risky. I still do (because it IS!). I supported Waters' more moderate approach. I've since learned how foolish and unreliable any variation of this basic technique is.

� Many cases don't expand enough, even at 80,000 lb/sq in., to warn of risky or excessive pressures.

� Catastrophic failures of overloaded rifles may occur with either the first over-hot round, or they may occur only after years of repeated use of over-hot loads. In the latter type of failure, the rifle has appeared "safe" with these loads, clear up until the time one round "caused" the failure "for no apparent reason."

� Cases work-harden in use. Repeated use makes them become brittle in the crucial portion exposed in the breech � typically 0.200 inch of the head of the case. Cases already too hard to show "excessive" expansion here (some, even at 80,000 lb/sq in.) are especially likely to become brittle in repeated firings and reloadings, and spew wild gas and bits of brass into a shooter's face. I have on hand now a rifle utterly demolished when half the head of the case blew back through the action. The rest of the case is still in the apparently unharmed barrel, but the receiver is in many pieces, and my friend still has one piece of brass in his face (a larger chunk was surgically removed).

� The maximum safe limit for many rifles and cartridges is well below the level of peak pressures that many cases can handle without any discernible or measurable indication of excess.

� The less experienced you are in the use of this method, the greater is the certainty that miking your cases will inevitably lead you to accept dangerously high pressures as "safe."

Careful lab tests of many typical "pet" loads, developed by attention to traditionally accepted "signs" of pressure, have shown their peak pressures to be 70,000 to 75,000 lb/sq in. The highest SAAMI "safe" pressure I know of, for any cartridge or rifle, is 65,000 lb/sq in. Most are lower. Many are much lower.

Some carefully lab-tested loads, developed by miking case rims, webs, and expansion rings, have developed 80,000 lb/sq in. without measurable expansion.

Stay well below the maximum charges listed in the manuals, and you'll be worlds safer without significant sacrifice in down-range performance. No micrometer is a reliable pressure gauge.

And being immensely privileged to be privy to a lot of factual findings -- both classic and recent -- about interior ballistics, factual material that hasn't found its way into the gun magazines and isn't obvious enough that every opiner in print or cyberspace sees its validity at first glance, I feel duty-bound to share the impact of these facts even though such sharing inspires onslaughts of doubts and dissenting opinions. It's worth noting, IMO, that none of these doubts or dissenting opinions comes from a dependable, well equipped experimenter who has tested and examined the validity of case expansion with good pressure-measuring equipment.

When several careful and dependable experimenters, each well equipped and confirming the others' findings, report that miking case expansion to "read" pressure has in their experience produced two significant bodies of serious error, I take all that as observed fact, not conjecture or opinion.

Those two bodies of repeatedly observed error are --
(a) case-expansion readings that indicate dangerously high pressures, when the pressure guns indicate pressures well below maximums
and
(b) case-expansion readings that DON'T indicate excessive pressures, when the pressure guns indicate pressures at AND ABOVE proof-load levels -- DANGEROUS loads that case-expansion readings do NOT detect, for example 70,000, 75,000, even 90,000 lb/sq in. in cartridges SAAMI-rated at safe only below 60,000 lb/sq in.

So my opinion of case expansion's worth doesn't matter. The facts do matter. And I don't have to have discovered those facts myself. Also, my acceptance of these facts isn't determined or affected by the dissenting opinions of otherwise well informed and intelligent people who happen NOT to have learned these same facts.

So my opinion is that the statement "Case expansion is a dangerously misleading and undependable method of trying to 'read' peak chamber pressures" is a well and repeatedly proven fact, based on well and repeatedly proven facts (not opinions based on old, opinion-based writings). I also opine with some confidence that this opinion is sturdily supported by enough repeatedly observed facts to qualify it as a final opinion.

John Barsness, author of Optics for the Hunter and The Hunter's Book of the Elk says:
quote:
I just did a bunch of the same research, and came to the same conclusions, by shooting loads worked up with "home" pressure testing methods (from bolt lift to measuring case heads) in a professional pressure lab. Could find no consistent correlation between case expansion (or even bolt lift!) and pressure. An article will appear in the next HANDLOADER on the experiments--which will also corroborate Blaine's contention that a chronograph is the best indicator of pressure.
This critique which I think shows the fallacy of the method the best is: "It is just plain mystifying to have a refinement of measurement capability of 0.0001" on the diameter of an out-of-round case and NO way of even coming close to measuring to such accuracy longitudinally on a sloping case."

Lyman Handbook #46 shows the method to be unreliable when tested using a pressure gun in conjunction with taking case "pressure-ring" measurements. Some shots with SMALLER "pressure-ring" measurements actually gave higher pressures!!

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
GO CLARK [Cool]
I like Clarks method.(not for begginers)

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C...

I've re-read your post, and I think we are talking about slightly different things.

The math you are working through tells how high the pressure has to get before the brass will start to stretch beyond its elastic limit... i.e., won't go back to it's pre-stress shape.

My math simply says that if the resolution of your gauge is .0001" (micrometers are actually not quite that good, but close), and if you think .0004" is OK and that .0005" is not, you're in trouble because your gauge does not have enough resolution to really tell you the difference.

Your point that the brass does not start to stretch until some critical pressure is reached is a good one. Practically all the stretch will occur at the peak pressure, and it may be non-linear, ans you've said. But for really rough numbers, the maximum resolution of your gauge corresponds to something like about 10,000 PSI or so, which is a big enough number to put me off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
T/C...

Your point that the brass does not start to stretch until some critical pressure is reached is a good one. Practically all the stretch will occur at the peak pressure, and it may be non-linear, ans you've said.

I agree. I've noticed a difference in pressure between new and once fired brass when using Pressure Trace. I can't find (haven't found the actual pressures right now) the actual recorded pressures, but have noticed that new brass does require more powder (pressure) to read the same pressures as once fired brass. Interesting as I've never really thought about it until I recieved the strain guage system.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a couple articles in October Varmint Hunter Magazine you all might be interested in, Denton has one of them in there on the PressureTrace. The other one is on using a chronograph to indicate pressure. I just got it and haven't read either of them yet, looks like the best magazine I've seen in some time. It and PS magazine's all I'm gettin now. [Smile]

Denton, have you seen the Chrono/PSI article?

Ken Howell said it all there, thanks jackfish, that needed reposting! The tapered case always told me measurements at that resolution could never be accurate and relied upon, that one should be a no brainer to anyone...

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent - could you give us the general rundown re chron/PSI from the article?

one of us
posted Hide Post
rupert,

I think I read it's a 3 part article with one more left to follow, but have not read it yet myself, it's a few pages and pretty technical it looks. I'll see what it says in the next few days when I get a chance.

I'd do what I could to get a copy (Sinclair has them) and glean what you can from it if your interested. I'd guess it'll probably be the one and only place and time you'll really find an article in this scope and depth on the subject for some time to come.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been loading rifle cartridges for about 12 years now. I have never seen a flattened primer in any of my loads. I use almost exclusivly FC210M primers and a small number of WLR primers. I have blown primers clean out of the primer pocket when shooting hot ammo on a very hot day in direct sunlight. The same ammo left a nice smoke ring around the primer when shot in the shade. (The load was AA2520 in .308 Winchester and was nearly 2g under the listed maximum in the AA manual.) These loads never flattened one. The primer pockets failed before the primer flattened.

The first visable signs of pressure I see are brass extrusion into the ejector and extractor cutouts in the bolt. With a Remington pattern bolt this is a nice shiny round dot on the head of the case. With a Sako pattern bolt it's a pair of marks, one for the extractor groove and another larger one for the ejector groove. Haven't done this in anything else.

Primer backflow into the space around the firing pin is another sign, but I've seen factory loads shot in factory rifles demonstrate this effect.

You can simulate the brass extrusion effect by leaving the chamber nicely lubed with Hoppes #9 and fireing a couple of rounds. The lube allows increased bolt thrust and some of the case head will extrude into the bolt face.

Lessons learned:
AA2520 is unpredictable at higher loading densities.
Loading manuals can be FOS.
Nickle plated brass is a poor choice for working up a load. The pressure signs in the case head do not show up as easily. Use standard brass to work up the load and then test the load with the nickled brass.

Posts: 62 | Location: SF East Bay Area - California | Registered: 20 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to get into an argument, but I have used the CHE method for about 30 years, have taken rifles everywhere with not a problem. I've blown exactly 1 primer in my life. If I have a correct CHE reading, the cases can be loaded 7-10- times withut pockets loosening, and cases fall out of the chamber, my prediction is- your rifle won't blow up in your hands. Of course you have to have an accurate mike and it helps if you know how to read one.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jstevens...

Oh, I don't think you'll start something that most people think of as an argument. With a few exceptions, it's a pretty civil exchange that we all learn from. People put their ideas forth, and decide what they will accept from the smorgasbord that results.

I have done the formal analysis of the old CUP method, the piezo PSI method, the strain gauge method, and my Shooting Chrony for MV, and can tell you what the limits of each method are.

I have not done the formal analysis of the CHE method, and cannot tell you what its limits are. In my case, I just did some preliminary noodling (explained above), and decided that the method wasn't very promising. So I haven't done the investigation on it.

The best evidence I have is the investigation of others. Since I don't know how the data were gatherer and analyzed, I put less weight on it than investigations where I do know that. Still, stuff like the Howell article and the Barsness article is the best information I have.

Back-of-the-napkin (serviette in Canada) calculations support Howell and Barsness. So that gives their statement a bit more credibility.

When I did the analysis of the old CUP method, I concluded that the fact most of still have our eyes and hands is more a tribute to the skill of gun designers than the repeatability of the CUP method. The same may be true in your case... or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with people measuring pressure with cup, strain gauges, piezo transducer, CHE method , or anything else if it is for making ammo for someone else, or for a gun that is weaker than the brass.

What I DO have a problem with is people wanting to measure pressure for their own gun that is stronger than the brass.

The reason to measure pressure would be to develop a load that would not exceed in pressure that pressure that first causes problems in a load work up. If the brass will be the first problem, there is no pressure measurement and pressure standard that will introduce anything but error compared to just looking at the brass.

There are guys out there posting on the internet that are book smart enough to do the tensor math for special relativity, but without the street smarts to know when they are measuring pressure when they should be looking at the brass.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to schedule my hunting year so that I was doing load workups and sighting in winter when there was no hunting and the range wasn't over crowded. I have since discovered a potential problem, in that loads developed and safe at below freezing temperatures are not necessarily safe at above freezing temperatures. The differance can be significant, so that truthfuly safe and conservative loads on a cloudy winter morning are dynamite on a hot, sunny summer afternoon.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh... but!

I've seen that theory put forward a few times. And if the failure is catastrophic, I think it is right.

Rifle failure is seldom catastrophic, though.

The usual faiure mode of a rifle is that it wears out. The throat becomes eroded, the lugs set back just a hair... and eventually the owner decides to retire it or to rebarrel.

My theory of the published pressure specs is that they represent a reasonable balance between performance and rifle life. Fer heck's sake, until about the 1960's, people actually thought that the CUP method produced measurements directly in PSI. Most theoretical bolt thrust designs done on THOSE PSI's are in error. But practical experience says that there is some reasonable balance point, and the SAAMI specs are at least in the neighborhood.

I have no problem with someone who wants to stoke his 243 up to 75,000 PSI. He just needs to understand that if he puts $1 or $2 in the kitty for each round he fires, he'll have enough money to buy a new barrel or rifle when he needs one. Or he can shoot at 60,000 PSI, and put away a dime for each round, and still come out about right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey jstevens, Of course you are correct. If anyone believes some of the stuff in this thread, they would also probably wonder how us "old folks" ever managed to load a single shot without blowing ourselves up. There seems to be a mindset among the youngsters that the only way to tackle a project is by spending copious amounts of money on totally unnecessary gadgets. [Big Grin]

Then when they have them and realize they wasted their money, rather than admit it, they try to justify the expendature. But, most never become aware of it and incorrectly criticize methods they have never done correctly, or even worse, are critical of a Method they have never even tried.

I notice a quote from "the Rev howl". For those of you who do not know howl very well, his educational background(Doctorate) is the same as the Rev Jesse jackson and the Rev Al Sharpton.

Here is only one example I disagree with:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev howl:
Some carefully lab-tested loads, developed by miking case rims, webs, and expansion rings, have developed 80,000 lb/sq in. without measurable expansion....

Maybe so. I can see where "someone in a Lab" could totally hose-up a test an get no Pressure Indications(especially if that person was the Rev howl).

However, Rev howl goes on to derive that therefore all Expansion Testing with a Micrometer is worthless. Just doesn't make good rational sense and anyone reading this Thread can prove it to yourself without having to take my word for it.

Take any extremely Low SAAMI Pressure cartridge - say a 38Spl, 30-30 or any centerfire cartridge you have at your disposal that is loaded at even the lowest Starting Load. Measure an "Unfired Cartridge" where I described the PRE is located (in my first post to this Thread) before firing and then measure it again after firing. For this example, you can even use a 0.001" Caliper and see the Case has Expanded at the Pressure Ring. Now, the Calipers aren't accurate enough to do PRE or CHE properly, as mentioned in my first post, but you can for sure notice the Case has Expanded and prove to yourself that Rev howl is WRONG - AGAIN!

It is statements like the Rev howl's above example that seem to confuse some people when they actually know better. Why he continues to post such stuff and why rational people "believe it" is beyond me. Surely you folks can see through his incorrect ramblings. Just "THINK"!

And for an absolutely Classic howl quote:
quote:
Originally posted by howl:
I also opine with some confidence that this opinion is sturdily supported by enough repeatedly observed facts to qualify it as a final opinion...

Oh yes, no need to "disagree" because the Rev howl has decided his opinion is final. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by denton:
I have not done the formal analysis of the CHE method, and cannot tell you what its limits are. In my case, I just did some preliminary noodling (explained above), and decided that the method wasn't very promising. So I haven't done the investigation on it....

Hey Denton, Now there is an interesting quote which seems out of place for you. You admit you've never done a formal analysis on CHE(and totally avoided PRE) and yet decided, "that the method wasn't very promising."

Are you studying under howl or did you get some Strain Gauge wires hung around your neck and cut off the blood to your brain? Speak up, which one is it! [Wink]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core...

Nothing out of place about it, at all. I did some quick and dirty estimates, and concluded that CHE probably has a resolution no better than about 10,000 PSI. If it is twice that good, 5,000 PSI, it still has poor repeatability. Since I'm curious about a lot of things, and don't have time to test them all, I chose not to spend time on an unpromising method.

But, you're absolutely right. We should test it. We should find out for ourselves, and not be led around by opinion. Data always trumps opinion. So let's get some data. Some unpromisng methods work out unexpectedly well.

Here's my proposed test: I know how repeatable my strain gauge system is. If I have that information, and a set of data simultaneously taken in another system, I can figure out the repeatability (precision) of the other system.

I do have some virgin 7.62x54R brass. I'll trim some, prime it, and number it with a marker, and mail it to you. You mike it, and record the numbers, without telling me what you measure, and mail them back to me. I'll load it up with a variety of loads, and go the range, and fire them with a strain gauge attached. I'll then send the fired brass back to you. You mike it again, and send me back the casings, with your pressure estimate for each cartridge. From your data and mine, I'll calculate the repeatability of CHE. Then we'll both know. I'll publish my numbers and yours, right here, so anyone that wants to replicate my calculations can do it.

Inquiring minds want to know....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a perfect test to me!!!! And about time there's a step to resolve this never ending dispute... Let the chips fall where they may.

How much confidence does Hot Core have in this method while not knowing anything about the loads? The way he talks he don't need to know nothing but a starting point, a true blind test at it's best. [Wink] Somethin tells me this'll never happen in the end tho, who knows...

Hot Core, everyone knows that virgin brass will expand enough to measure with even a caliper, what makes you think Ken was using virgin brass and not once fired brass for the tests, like anyone in their right mind would expect anyway. Ya, he'd be a dumb ass for suggesting virgin brass never expanded, but he never said that! You put too many words in peoples mouth and the ones that do get spoken, you twist up pretty good, not to mention being a disrespectfull smart ass time and time again to people who disagree with you....

Howell had finally formed a final opinion for himself on the subject after gathering the facts, when someone learns all the facts about something that's the logical progression don't ya think??? Do I have to give examples???

Denton,

What amount of body taper does that case have?

How far off axially could a PRE measurment be and still give the same reading to the .0000" place? I would not think very far.

To me, that's only one place error could "easily" be introduced, even with the upmost care, there are many more too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7.62x54R has a lot of taper. It tapers at .021" per inch, which says that an error of .005" in mike placement will introduce an error of about .0001", which is large in this application. Canting the micrometer 1 degree off square will also introduce nearly .0001" error.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Denton, No need to mail the cases to me, I believe you can see it for yourself IF you follow the procedure as I outlined in my first post. Just post what you measure and let's see what you get. I've followed your posts long enough to believe you can do it properly.

In fact, this will be an even better test by you doing your own measurements, because it will show that anyone can do it on their own without needing someone else to verify their findings.

As usual, I do believe you will have better results with PRE than CHE since this is (apparently) your first attempt at actually using the methods.

I didn't mention it before, but as you Average the PRE on the Factory Cases to get the Benchmark, you will of course notice some amount of variation in the numbers. Don't let this concern you, cause it is the same as getting variation from the Strain Gauges.

By the way, it is important to remember the "Goal" which is for a person to be able to develop a SAFE MAX Load when compared to Factory Ammo. This has absolutely noting at all to do with exceeding Factory Pressure Limits.

quote:
originally posted by Brent:
How much confidence does Hot Core have in this method while not knowing anything about the loads? The way he talks he don't need to know nothing but a starting point, a true blind test at it's best...

Hey Brent, Unlike a lot of folks who are quick to criticize something where they have absolutely no First Hand Experience, I have enough confidence in the PRE method that just about anyone can use it with good results. The Rev howl would of course be one of those exceptions.

I've always agreeed that CHE is indeed a bit tougher to use than PRE because the Delta or amount of change is much smaller.

In my last example when measuring PRE, there is absolutely NO REASON to use New Cases if you don't want to. Take any Case you have that has been loaded "6-9 times", do either a Full Length Resize or a Partial-Full Length Resize(so the Pressure Ring is reduced from the Expanded position), reload it, fire it and measure it. In fact, since this particular one shot Test is not "Developing Loads from Below", feel free to use a case that has been fired any amount of times you desire, because you will still see PRE. (That would not always be true for CHE.)

No need at all to get up at the 80kpsi which I see Rev howl posting, PRE works great even below the 14,900 cup of the REALLY OLD 38S&W. If any of you take a few moments to do the Test, you can see for yourself that Rev howl is still WRONG - AGAIN!!

Or, if you want to see the same results as Rev howl, you will need to do the Test incorrectly. Here you can choose to Neck Size and not reform the Pressure Ring or ignore PRE and only do CHE on a Case that has seen Heavy Loads in excess of the 6-9 reloads I originally mentioned.

So yes, if the proper procedure is not followed, the results can be off. Same as if you glue your Strain Gauge incorrectly.

quote:
originally posted by Brent:
...when someone learns all the facts about something that's the logical progression don't ya think??? Do I have to give examples???...

You've mentioned a couple of times in previous Threads you were planning to try PRE and CHE for yourself. But, it appears you still haven't tried them. Am I wrong? Let's assume that I am wrong and you did try PRE and CHE as I originally outlined. Yes indeed, I am interested in the "examples" you just mentioned. What did you see??

With that in mind and knowing you would not be one of the "fools" to criticize something you've never tried, how did your results come out? Did you follow the instructions as I posted above or try something different that can skew the results?

The good part about this, is I'll believe your response. I don't believe you would intentionally misrepresent what you actually saw, so what was it??? If it is in fact some value that looks improper, I should be able to help you figure out what is going wrong without you having to mail me a thing. Nor will you need to buy extra glue, wires or a larger truck to haul all the stuff to the Range. [Wink]

[ 10-27-2003, 16:52: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like a perfect test to me!!!! And about time there's a step to resolve this never ending dispute... Let the chips fall where they may.

Let's not start a war over this. Any reloading dispute of this nature will always be a grey area. It's the dicussion that keeps minds open.

Lets not lose tract of how this CHE process is to work either. Unless I'm mistaken, You need a baseline to work with. (baseline being a known max pressure measurement) I guess my question at this point is: Is pressure/case expansion equal within a set of boundaries?

In other words, say you have a 180 grain .30-06 factory load that measures .0045" CHE. say this correlates to 60,000psi (I don't know that pressure is right, I just used that number for example purposes). Now, while shooting a ramp of handloads (different powder/primer/bullet combo), we are saying that a load that shows .0045" expansion won't be in the ballpark of that original 60,000psi?

Then, what if the velocity were put into play?

[ 10-27-2003, 17:02: Message edited by: T/C nimrod ]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, maybe you didn't quite understand the post.

Whether YOU need to have those cases mailed to you isn't the point. The REST of us need to have it done.

It's known as "put up or shut up", "actions speak louder than words", etc. Your last post could have been written by the good Rev.

You are convinced your method is better. Prove it! (or shut up, already.....). JMO, Dutch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Hot Core, maybe you didn't quite understand the post.

Your last post could have been written by the good Rev.

You are convinced your method is better. Prove it!...

Hey Dutch, I must be missing the point as you say. It seems to me anyone should be able to do the Test without my interference. I've already said I'd believe Denton's and Brent's results. That will "prove it" without anyone thinking I skewed the results.

Heck, I'd even believe "your" results if you care to post them. No need to hose-up the data with a bunch of worthless Velocity info either. [Big Grin]

Getting a bit testy with that comment about Rev howl? [Big Grin] I know you didn't mean it. Let me guess it is because you've also never tried doing PRE or CHE as outlined above. Surely you aren't one to criticize a Method you've never properly tried.

I can see why you would be frustrated when a good old set of RCBS 0.0001" capable Micrometers from www.wideners.com for $21 will give you SAFER, more accurate, First Hand Pressure Data directly from the weakest link in the Firing Sequence.

one of us
posted Hide Post
denton - I'll take you up on the offer. I'm not in the arguement, but am curious as to the results of a test of this nature. I'm not familiar at all with the cartridge, making the margin of error even higher - which apparently is the whole issue of the discussion.

One thing I won't/can't do is relay what pressure each expansion (might) be.

Keep in touch, I'm interested (and I think a few others are as well) [Cool]

OOps - sorry forgot to finish my thoughts.
What I will do, using the CHE method, it tell you when your cases meet or exceed max pressure(s). What I will need is a case to measure(preferrably three cases to average) that is at a known - by both of us - pressure (max pressure for your gun). Think it will work?

[ 10-27-2003, 18:09: Message edited by: T/C nimrod ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C nimrod:
[QUOTE]It's the dicussion that keeps minds open.

Lets not lose tract of how this CHE process is to work either. Unless I'm mistaken, You need a baseline to work with. ...I guess my question at this point is: Is pressure/case expansion equal within a set of boundaries?

In other words, say you have a 180 grain .30-06 factory load that measures .0045" CHE. say this correlates to 60,000psi (I don't know that pressure is right, I just used that number for example purposes). Now, while shooting a ramp of handloads (different powder/primer/bullet combo), we are saying that a load that shows .0045" expansion won't be in the ballpark of that original 60,000psi?

Then, what if the velocity were put into play?

Hey T/C nimrod, Dutch and Brent aren't normally like this until " I " point out they've wasted a lot of money on gadgets that really don't perform as well as a $21 set of Micrometers. But, they will just have to suffer through the reality of it again.

"Is pressure/case expansion equal within a set of boundaries?"

Well, yes it is. However, as in ALL MEASUREMENTS, there is some variation which can be attributed to variations in the material being measured, variations in the actual Load from shot to shot which is Expanding the Case and variation in the proper way to take the measurements. This will show up as slightly different Expansion Values from Case to Case. Exactly the same reasons folks using Strain Guages get slightly different psi readings from shot to shot.

"...we are saying that a load that shows .0045" expansion won't be in the ballpark of that original 60,000psi?'

In the example I used, it depends on the SAFE MAX Pressure determined by the Factory for that specific Lot of Cases. I don't know what the Pressure is in xx,xxxpsi, nor does it matter, because we STOP when we reach the same PRE as the Benchmark Standard from the Factory Ammo.

The Factories have millions of dollars ($$,$$$,$$$.xx) tied up in Test Equipment and Technicians to verify that they are producing SAFE MAX Loads. Here we get to use the information they provide for us, using First Hand information directly from their Case.

[ 10-27-2003, 18:25: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
So, Hot Core, are you going to talk or measure? Dutch.