Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sonar59
posted
Hi all, I am new to the forum and for my first post am inquiring into powders for the 22 Hornet. How many have tried Reloder 7 with the Hornet? What are your favorite powders for the Hornet?

Thanks,
sonar59

Sonar59

Posts: 29 | Location: Linn Country Oregon | Registered: 09 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have only tried Vitavouri N110.

10,5 grs N110 + a 40 Hornady V-Max.
Use only pistol primers, they give much better accuracy than rifle primers.

Vel. ca 800 meters/sec.

Posts: 17 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hot favourite at the moment is Lil Gun. I use 11.4 grains in Rem case with Win small pistol primer and 40gr Sierra HP for approx. 3100ft/sec.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lil Gun, WW680, and AA1680 are my favorites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sonar59,

I've never tried any other powders since I was satisfied with my results from Win 296. I use just under the max load (near 12 grains) from an old hornady manual with CCI small rifle primers and Hornady 40gr V-Max. The load is too long to fit in the magazine of my Ruger 77/22, so I use the gun single shot, or fill the magazine with a different reload. Accuracy is great, 250 yard kills are well within reason. Good luck, I love the .22 Hornet I've killed hundreds of varmints with mine.

Life's too short to carry a gun that you hate!

Posts: 46 | Location: In Pennsylvania, wishing for more Silhouette Matches and friendly, woodchuck hating, Farmers in the geographic center of the state. | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sonar59
posted Hide Post
I had just recently seen that Alliant powder has the Hornet listed for Reloder 7, and at almost half the CUP pressure with same velocities as H110. I thought that might be a benefit. Interested in hearing what works well for others, currently I have a can of H110 for my first Hornet reloads. 200 Rem cases waiting for something to do.

Thanks,

Sonar59

Posts: 29 | Location: Linn Country Oregon | Registered: 09 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found RL-7 somewhat too slow to acheive normal velocities with a Hornet (at least with "Hornet-weight" bullets of less than 50 grains.) Many people extoll the virtues of Lil Gun, but it delivers extremely erratic velocities in both my Hornet and K-Hornet. W-296 has done by far the best for me. For reduced loads (if anyone is interested in "reduced loads" for a Hornet!) Bluedot works wonders. The old standbys of 2400 and IMR 4227 work okay for light bullets, but won't quite match W-296.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lil gun is THE powder for hornets. It yields about 200 FPS more than anything else at nominal pressure levels.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
lil gun is THE powder for hornets. It yields about 200 FPS more than anything else at nominal pressure levels.

At least on about half the shots through the chronograph it does! Smiler

Admittedly, different shooters get different results, but in two different guns with various primers and bullets, I continued to get 200 fps+ velocity variations with Lil Gun. Obviously, others have had better luck.

On the other hand, I'm loading it in a "plus pressure" .45 Colt load with a 300 grain bullet and it is providing outstanding performance.

As they say, "your mileage may vary".

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best powder I found for my hornet is 2400. Next would be 296.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dm45winmag
posted Hide Post
My most accurate powder is AA2015 @ 11.5grs with 40gr V-Max bullets and Rem 7-1/2 primers. I shot a 0.376" group (CtC) @ 50yds with my T/C Contender 14" barrel.

I also shot a 0.427" group (CtC)@ 50 yds. with 8.8grs of N110 with 35gr V-Max bullets and CCI 500 primers.

These were all 5 shot groups.

T/C Contender Shooter

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Hornets-a CZ 527 and a Martini Model 12 which started life as a .22 LR. Both respond well to Lil'Gun and Remington 1 1/2 Small Pistol Primers. Shoot 35 grain V MAX (.224) out of the CZ and Sierra 40 grain SP (.223) out of the Martini. The CZ groups around 1/2 inch, and the Martini groups around 3/4 inch
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:
Lil Gun, WW680, and AA1680 are my favorites.

These are my absolute favorites, with Lil Gun leading the pack. I have come to the conclusion that CCi 550 small pistol magnum primers are the best choice as well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used RL-7. I have not yet accurately tested it, so have no data for you. However, the basic load was Winchester brass, CCI 400 primers, 10.6gr RL-7, 45gr Speer SP.

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lilgun is an outstanding powder for the Hornet, higher velocities and less pressures. As has been noted by Stonecreek, the velocities can vary and for my Hornet (Ruger M77 w/20" tube), the velocity swings are +/- 50fps. It is still extrmely accurate out to 200yds, which is the longest distance my gunclub has.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the older Hornets I prefer H4227. Never found a rifle that didn't like a .224 Sierra 40 gr Hornet bullet over 11.5 gr H4227 with a SP primer. For the newer stronger Hornets I prefer H110. I know Lil'gun is the current rage but I've yet to see an improvement in accuracy or velocity with it over H110.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like win 296 in my cz, it did not like AR2205.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sonar59
posted Hide Post
Thanks all who replied, I appreciate your time and input. Now I have a shopping list to go for after I test some of the H110. It is 19 degrees F outside so I will probably build loads, document them well, then wait for warmer weather. If there are more that reply I thank you and will check the thread when I can. Thanks again, sonar59

one of us
posted Hide Post
2400 combined with the 35 gr. Hornady V-Max is an outstnding load. Nearly 100% loading density a feeds shoots in a Ruger 77/22H

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
My K-Hornet likes AA1680.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Speer reloading manual #13 says "the industry maximum pressure for the Hornet has been reduced by 4000 CUP during the past few years".

This manual goes on to state that as a result of the presure reduction AA1680 was the only current powder that consistently gave good velocities.

Why would "industry" reduce pressure? This is a old cartridge (1930ish) it's behaviour under press it no doubt well known.

Anyone have and old manual that shows loads at the old pressure standard?

Here one 22 Hornet load from the Speer #13:
24" barrel
case W-W
Primer CCI 400
bullet 45 grain spitz-sp
powder AA1680
Maximum 12.5 grains compressed
mzl. vel. 2651 fps

Note they had to compress this powder type to get close to the now 43,000cup pressure standard.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I measured 880 m/s (2885 fps) with PCL512 (formerly .30 Carbine) powder, however with a 37 grain Moeller copper bullet: KJG.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote