New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fedreal 215M Primers ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can i use the federal 215M Match Primer for reloading the 325wsm,270wsm & 300H&H?Most of my books call for a WLR or WLRM primer.Gunshop only had the federals...also do any of you guys use federal 215M Match Primers?If yes in what calibers?Thanks thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I use Fed215M primers in 338 win mag, 300 win mag, 300 WSM, 30-06 when I use a slow powder like RL22 and 7 mag. Never had a misfire. Use Fed210M for smaller calibers.

The Fed215M would be my primer of choice for the calibers you mentioned.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've reloaded over 1,000rds of WSM's including 270,7,300 and 325WSM and have used Federal GM-215M primers in every one. I've gotten MOA or better accuracy out of them all.
You bet you can use them...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Federal GM-215-M in the following--- 450 Marlin--375 H&H--348/378 KT--338 Win Mag--340 Weatherby Mag--300 Weatherby Mag--300 WSM--and 7mm STW--the other lesser calibers i use rem. 9 1/2 and this is only because i happened to get a buy on 10,000 a couple of years ago.
Go ahead and use, you will have good results.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal 215M work GREAT in my .300 Weatherby over 80-some grains of IMR 7828. I bet they'll do very well in your Short Mags.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use'em in my 470NE, 416 Rigby and 375 H&H...never had a problem with heavy loads, consistent etc.

Funny thing, 215's are hard to find in my locale, so I use WRL and WRLM (easy to find) in my 300 SAUM and service rifles with good results in these capacity cartridges.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the federal 215 is the mildest magnum primer on the market, and the winchester WLRM is the hottest in the tests i have read about. you may have to slightly increase the powder charge with the federal 215 to get the same velocity.

Posts: 74 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
The rule of thumb is standard primers below 70 grains of powder and magnum primers for over 70 grains of primer.

Within 5-10 grains of 70 you may find loads that are more consistant/accurate with either.
Load development is the only way to know for sure.

The other consideration it ambient temp.
Loads developed at 70-80 degrees may need magmun primers at single digit temps but may cause pressure problems at triple digit temps.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Stambough:
the federal 215 is the mildest magnum primer on the market, and the winchester WLRM is the hottest in the tests i have read about. you may have to slightly increase the powder charge with the federal 215 to get the same velocity.

I'm not so sure about that as Federal's 215 primer is specifically recommended by Weatherby for their cartridges because other primers have proven less than reliable. I am a Federal fan and try to use their primers wherever practicable, not because Weatherby recommends them, but because I believe they're the best out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
im using the fed 210s in my 300wsm and its shooting about 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. they seem to work well. also the 270wsm is using the 215s and its doing 1/2moa

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As numerous posts have already said, Fed 215M primers work well with large charges of slow (4350 or slower) powders. I use F215M in my 7 Mag and .338 WM. I usually test magnum primers VS standard large rifle primers @ 60 grains or more of slow burning power. So far I haven't found one at 60 grains or less that did better with the magnum primers. Good Luck

Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Strongly suggest to use either the Fed 215 or Fed 215 Match and WLRM in the WSM. I started out with Fed 210 and had a dirty barrel....

The Fed 215 primer came out when the 300 Weaterby hit the market, no one had a strong primer back then until the Fed 215 hit the market. Today the WLRM primer suppose to be the hottest primer.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote