THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Am I missing something? 220 swift Not grouping well.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I missing something? 220 swift Not grouping well.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say mine works better with CCI250 primers with H414, not so with 4064.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the sierra 50 gr, and the IMR 4895, Sportsmans warehouse does not carry Remington primers but I got Federal Premium Gold medal match primers, and CCI bench rest primers to give that route a try. It will be friday before i have time to try the new loads, but I'll let everyone know if there is any improvement.

Ricky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing that I do not understand is why, after spending the time and money on trying to get a rifle to shoot its best so meny of you people use Sierra, Hornadey[spelling], or another inferior bullet. There are enough custom bullets made in .224 or almost any other size, for not much more money, that it almost seems funny that no one has mentioned using one of them. At least I have not noticed where it has been mentioned. There is a good reason that every bench rest shooter that I know goes to the trouble of buying good bullets. Bob

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ricky,

I know how ya feel. I hate it when a rifle will not shoot the bullets or the powder that you want it too but, some are just plain stubborn. I've been to the point of hurling one down range because of groups in the 2-3" range and then all of the sudden I dropped in a load she loved and groups went down to 1/2" and less. Sometime it takes alot of different loads and tons of patience to make these rifles mind.

Good Luck w/ your new load.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ricky ,
Lots of unsubstantiated anecdotal stuff around about how bad the Swift is . I guess some need to justify why they chose the second fastest hot .22 ? I have had both and would take a Swift over a .22/250 any day for ease of reloading , accuracy and velocity . The cartridge is not your problem .
I had a remington 700 VSSF in .22/250 that I fired 400 rounds thru without finding anything that would do better than 1.25 inches . Crap barrel crown and action out of skew .I wouldn't be selling the Ruger to go down that route . homer
Ruger aren't the only ones around that employ their customers to do their quality control .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
Jerry, have you ever shot a 5 shot group, and if so where did the 4th and 5th shots go? Believe me I am not knocking your gun or your shooting, I am just stating a fact. You should shoot that gun competativly. Bob.

Bob:

I don't care if you knock my shooting ability, lots of my buddies do, and I can accept that. The fact is the 2 Ruger Swifts I have owned have been tack drivers, no matter who shoots it. Also as to the 3 shot groups, proves all I need for a long range hunting rifle, without needlessly wearing oput the barrel at the range. A 222 Rem or 6mmPPC it ain't.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish it would stop raining long enough that I could go to the range. Mad

Ricky