THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to recover brass on a pistol range?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was just wondering what everyone does to hang on to their brass. Is there a really great brass catcher for use with pistols? I've got one that's pretty good for catching the brass for my rifles, but haven't found a great solution for pistol brass.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take an old bed sheet and sew a bean bag to each corner. Lay the sheet on the ground where the brass normally falls. Not a perfect solution, but better than trying to recover it from the grass.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember the old Whamo Sling Shot Wrist Rocket ?.

Well I saw a fellow who made a catch net pocket pouch and he used a wrist rocket Whamo

for the frame . It just kind of clasp around his wrist .

It looked similar too those AR brass catchers except it was attached too his wrist forearm area !

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The three ranges where I shoot pistols have those dustpans with the vertical handles on them so you don't have to stoop to sweep the brass into them with the brooms we buy with the dues money.

Even better: the two S&W M&P pistols I own lay the brass at your feet in one pile if you don't load too hot.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a semi auto pistol load work up at the range, I wrap a towel around my hand and the handgun.

Often I get a hot case between my hand and the towel, but I just wiggle a little and the burn does not leave a mark. Then I look at the brass with a jeweler's loop for any sign of primer pierce or guppy belly case bulge.

I used to try to see where the cases flew, but that caused me to miss that target and become unpopular at the indoor range.
They told me I had to hit the target or leave. I got out my most accurate handgun, my 44mag. I aimed carefully while they watched me, but the gun was so loud, it made the florescent lamp fall out of the ceiling and spatter glass all over the floor.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a revolver
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
My department range master pays his two young boys a penny a case, and all the officers chip in to cover the cost. It works great and all parties are happy. In Afghanistan our Gurkas police the brass. Lou Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a smart ass but the older I get, and the harder it is to bend down, the more I like revolvers.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a plastic frame brasscatcher with mesh bag velcro'd to my shooting hand.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes exactly what the Whamo wrist rocket contraption was made into .

It slips over the wrist and the mesh bag is parallel too the Semiauto pistol

yet the wrist support contraption is on the forearm , so as not to impede the wrist movement .

onefunzr2 got it , this fellows was home made is all .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is always a sore subject and the older you get, the sorer you will get. But it is good exercise.

Position yourself toward the Target in your normal stance. Make a line on the ground or lay a stick down where your Toes are so you can return to the same exact position.

Fire one round and have a buddy see where it first hits the ground. Take the Cartridge Box, open the end and set it on that spot. Reassume your position and the Empties will go right in the box. thumb

By the way, if your Cartridge Box is not the size of the previously mentioned "sheet", use the sheet the A/C guy mentioned. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
(edited for brevity)
I used to try to see where the cases flew, but that caused me to miss that target and become unpopular at the indoor range.
They told me I had to hit the target or leave. I got out my most accurate handgun, my 44mag. I aimed carefully while they watched me, but the gun was so loud, it made the florescent lamp fall out of the ceiling and spatter glass all over the floor.

I like it, tnekkcc. Good story.

I go shooting with a buddy. When he shoots, I stand behind and to the right and catch each ejected casing as they fly out. Not too hard with .45s, but when he had a 9mm, he shot too fast for me to keep up. The brass does warm my hands, though. That's nice.

I made several brass catchers from coathangar wire and cloth. The handle of the catcher went between my palm and the gun's grip. But I had to customize the shape of the catcher for each different gun and never achieved 100% reliably.

I am about ready to try this: Get a carton from a full size refrigerator. Cut two holes opposite one another large enough to shoot through. You stand on the back side of the box, your gun hand(s) and gun in the box and the muzzle just parely not protruding out the front side of the box. All your brass should be inside the box when you are done. Or you could get inside the box entirely. Up here in Alaska, when we get in the single digits, especially if there is any wind, this seems like a GOOD idea. Maybe a little heater, too.

We do have a covered range, and I have often thought about hanging a shower curtain to my right and rear to keep the brass close by, but I suspect blocking the view of the rangemaster and the other shooters would be inadvisable.

I saw, on another forum, a guy had built a collapsible brass catcher of PVC and netting. I will post the link when I find it again. He even provided plans.

Lost Sheep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael.tx:
Was just wondering what everyone does to hang on to their brass. Is there a really great brass catcher for use with pistols? I've got one that's pretty good for catching the brass for my rifles, but haven't found a great solution for pistol brass.

Check out this thread:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../2511043/m/175107849

(if the link doees not work, copy and past this into your browser)

forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/175107849

PVC, some fittings, glue, binder clips and cloth. Packs up into a small box.

Good shooting, Merry Christmas.
Lost Sheep

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Do a google search for "pistol brass catcher" and you'll find several products for sale and lots of DIY ideas.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote