New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sticky extraction 458 Lott
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am not a reloading pro, I only do it to same money. All has gone great so far, except the 5 sticky extractions and the primers fell out yesterday at the farm ( I shot 50 rounds). I was shooting 500 grain X bullets, ? grain of ????????? powder, CCI mag rifle primer, Hornady brass. I everything by hand, no electronics. There was no brass damage to any of the 50 rds. except the primer pocket carbon on the 5 sticky brass.

Question- How do I avoid this? What did I do wrong? Will this ruin the rifle?

Load data removed

Thanks Jerry

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The loads are too hot for that gun.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Savage99, your loads are WAY TOO HOT! Scrap that load and start with a helluva lott less powder. Your loads won't hurt the rifle but may hurt you.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys

I really got to check my records, as this load was fine in the warmer weather.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The very long 500 grain Barnes X bullet will also increase pressure in calibres like the 458 Win or 458 Lott because they reduce the case capacity by a significant amount.

In other words loads with say 500 grain Hornady or Woodleigh round noses would give higher pressure if the 500 grain Barnes X was used.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Minkman:
I just ran your info thru my copy of Quickload. I doubt you really want to know the peak pressure it came up with. At any rate, Quickload gives a Pmax of 62366 PSI and strongly suggests only loading to 90% of that figure on a routine basis. Now, I've never fired a .458 Lott but I do routinely follow the guidance of Quickload. It's your choice however. Not trying to knock ya but...
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
Pull the rest of those... and I bet the shot brass is spent....

did this load work fine with lead core bullets?

as others said, the X bullet is longer, therefore at the same OAL, it will be a smaller effective case capacity...

back off to a safer load and work up.

or, more importantly, what's your chrono reading on vel?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I know some memembers have mentioned using RL 7 with the heavier bullet weights, but IMHO, it is too fast of a powder for bullets over 400gr.

The only time I got sticky extraction and loose primers in my previous Lott was with RL 7 and a 450 gr X bullet. I think my charge weight was even less than yours, but I'll have to check my notes.

Quickload has been notoriously inacurate with straightwal rounds, not sure if they've tweaked it lately.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DO NOT USE RL-7 ON THE HEAVY BULLETS--If you have to use that damn stick powder(good for
worming dogs) go to RL-15 and better yet RL-19
so you you can fill the case. You will get more
velocity with a quarter less peak pressure.
You should try W-760 and H-414 ball.Your brass will last forever and have more velocity, lower peak pressure...Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Holy Sh!T,
Dude, back way way way way way off on that load...

I just ran it through quickload, lit a candle for you, and thought that screwed brass is a small price to pay

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude, you've been extremely lucky. RE 7 is a great powder for 458 WinMag, 45-70 & 450 Hornady. Notice that these cartridges don't have that much case capacity. Anyways, check out the reloading manuals out there and you'll come up with a nice load.

BTW, I just went through my stack of CD's from the old Nickudu's Files and found that Jack Lott reccommended 4320 and he'd gone up to 85 grs but most use around 80-82 grs. As usual, go slightly under and go slow.

Cool Cool bewildered

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, I thought they were kicking a bit too much. And I do feel fortunate that nothing happened worse than the primers falling out. I'll pull the bullets!!!

By the way, what was the quickload pressure?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Minkman,
sent you a pm on quickload

Paul,
you are right, on straight cases, quickload doesn't get it 100% right... it over states pressure and vel...generally 10-12%...

BUT, even if it was 20% off, that load is in the FREIGHTENING range...

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, Look for a couple of PM's, Jerry