THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 colt load for both revolver and rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any suggestions for a good plinking load for .45 colt that would work in both a revolver ('59 Single Action Army) and a rifle (Cimarron 1892, 20" barrel). I have Unique, some 2400 and IMR 3031 on hand. I like the round nose lead bullets.
Just looking for a good, fun load that I can use in both guns. Thanks!

Posts: 26 | Location: UPSTATE New York | Registered: 03 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
load for the pistol shoot in the rifle.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes things easier! Thanks!!

Posts: 26 | Location: UPSTATE New York | Registered: 03 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
16 grains of 2400 is a user friendly load and a can of powder will go a long ways.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can also start with 8 gr of Unique with a 250/255 gr bullet and work up.

However 2400 will most likely give higher velocity in the rifle vs Unique.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
16 grains of 2400 is a user friendly load and a can of powder will go a long ways.

Plus 1

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'd be a bit leary of some of the enthusiastic loads in those two weapons.
I use 20 grains of H110 and a 300 grain slug in my Ruger, Colt Anaconda and Rossi model 92.
Some of the Bullseye and Unique loads should do nicely.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,
My usual go to load in the revolver for general plinking has been about 8 to 8.5 grains of Unique with a 250 grain round nose lead bullet. I'll start with that in the rifle and see how she goes. I might even try a few with the 2400 suggestion. Thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the OP's three powders, Unique is the best for plinking loads. Low recoil, accurate with little leading if the lead is soft enough, and cheap. I'd be careful with 2400, Alliant's max load is 15.4 grains. This is a low-pressure load and will burn very dirty with lots of half-burned powder grains to gunk up the actions.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's my inclination - go with the Unique as I have been doing, and see how that works out. Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Mikey, make sure you have a flat or wide hollow point bullet for the lever action rifle. You do not want bullet contact on the primer. Other than that a lot of good advice here. Also look at the cowboyaction loads in most manuals unless you are making a hunting load.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
Mikey, make sure you have a flat or wide hollow point bullet for the lever action rifle. You do not want bullet contact on the primer. Other than that a lot of good advice here. Also look at the cowboyaction loads in most manuals unless you are making a hunting load.

No hunting loads for me with the .45. And I have been thinking of the cowboy action loads. Thanks! With the bullets, do you think the round nose cast lead bullets I normally use would be a problem in the rifle? I do use flat nose bullets in my .30-.30 model 94, so I'm aware of the bullet contact issue. If it's "iffy", I'll switch to a flat nose hollow point. Thanks!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What rifle do you planning on shooting with your 45 LC loads. Makes a big difference with your loads. Anything before a 1892 style rifle can't take some of the loads even your six gun can take.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'm echoing the advice from every one with my Winchester 94 in .357. I've never tried round nose bullets but have always read and heard to avoid round noses. I know that an unchambered bullet doesn't explode like a bomb but I haven't tried it either.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
What rifle do you planning on shooting with your 45 LC loads. Makes a big difference with your loads. Anything before a 1892 style rifle can't take some of the loads even your six gun can take.

It's a new Cimarron Arms Model 1892.

One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
I've never heard that round nose bullets were a problem for lever guns. I used to shoot round nose .44 mags from my dad's Marlin 1895 with nothing going off out of battery, although I've recently switched to some semi-wadcutters for it. I've always heard that the problem is to use pointed bullets. Of course I may just be misinformed and lucky.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted Hide Post
My plinker (wife-friendly) load is:
255 gr LSWC
8.5 gr Unique
CCI # 300 primer
OAL 1.600"
1/2 turn with Lee Factory Crimp Die

Very pleasant from my Vaquero and shoots like a 22LR from my Rossi 92.

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I use 5.5 gr of Trailboss behind a 250 gr bullet

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote