THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    here's a fun way to remember what powder charges you used...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

here's a fun way to remember what powder charges you used...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I feel briliant...

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Yes, until someone elbows the ctg. box over and they all dump out on the bench (don't ask how this was discovered).

I really like marking numbers or colors on the primers with a fine sharpie, with cooresponding data in my notebook.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The writeing is on the case not the box....I do it the same way only I write a lot smaller and just above the case head.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Are you using permanent magic marker or a washable kind? How easily do the markings tumble off the brass?

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I do this all the time, for load dev .. mine say things like "109gr h335" though
not a misprint .. some of my stuff eats that much powder!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yep, after knocking a boxo of test loads over, I went to marking them w/ a Sharpie too. Brilliant minds do think alike. Wink

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mort Canard:
Are you using permanent magic marker or a washable kind? How easily do the markings tumble off the brass?

Sharpie markers are what I use and no it doesn't tumble of all that good. I wipe the marker off with thinner before I toss them in the tumbler.

I write on mine even after I have a well worked load. Some of my boxes have run-out writen on the bottom in one didget numbers depicting thousands TIR....0,1,2,3,4,5, ect.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I write on the case with a small Sharpie. I'll put 65SC to tell me a year from now it's loaded with 65 grains of H4831SC. 65RL22 tells me it's 65 grains of RL-22. I always use the same bullet-- the 180-grain Sierra Matchking so there is no confusion, there. The only other bullet I ever use for target shootin' is the 178-grain Hornady A-max, which is visually different from the Sierra offering...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've been using an ultra fine sharpie to write on my cases for years. Works great. I use a small dab of Hoppes #9 on a rag to wipe it off before I drop them in the tumbler to polish. Hoppes takes it off very well with no problems.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowpoke Slim:
I've been using an ultra fine sharpie to write on my cases for years. Works great. I use a small dab of Hoppes #9 on a rag to wipe it off before I drop them in the tumbler to polish. Hoppes takes it off very well with no problems.

Exactly the same marking system and cleaner I have used for almost 40 years. thumb

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When doing load development, I use a sharpie to put a colored dot on the primer, and a 3x5 card in the ammo box which translates color to the appropriate recipe.

Decapping removes the "markings" so the brass is "clean" for the next use. And yes, I suppose I'm in trouble if I lose the card at the range, but that has yet to happen, and the same notes on the card are recorded in my notebook back home on my reloading bench.

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've used a fine point Sharpie to mark the primers for my load development for many years. Marks that I use include: a single line, "X" lines, a dot, blacken 1/2 of the primer, blacken all the primer, and no mark. I then draw a circle on the line of that load in my loading notebook, and make the same mark in the circle. If you need more marks, use colors.

Simple and no clean-up needed.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this group of loads is all "51.xgr of 4064"

the number on the case = X

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For individual or pairs, I use blue painter's tape and write the load on the excess with a sharpie marker. The tape is sticky enough to stay on, but easy to peal off when I'm ready to shoot. I write the results as soon as I shoot. Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool, but my system really does work quite well.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also needing to carefully watch pressure signs on these, so I want to be able to go back over the cases later and see what I find.

One of Us
Picture of Farflung
posted Hide Post
Well, if great minds think alike..... Wink
Like some other reloaders, I marked the powder type and charge on my cases, when applicable. I was really surprised with how well the marking stayed on.

If you exercised your freedom and aren't in jail, thank a liberal.

Posts: 40 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Pete:
Yes, until someone elbows the ctg. box over and they all dump out on the bench (don't ask how this was discovered).

I really like marking numbers or colors on the primers with a fine sharpie, with cooresponding data in my notebook.

I use a sharpie as well to mark the primers, not the case head or any other part of the case, one small dot for initial charge, two small dots for the next step charge, three small dots for the next etc etc. I'm always sure to make a reference card as to what charge each amount of dots represents. Then at the end of the range session, if the three dots shoots the best, that's my load!

If I'm testing more than one powder, I use a different coloured marker for each type of powder.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I use a sharpie on mine all the time except I mark the primers with dots or Xs to keep the loads seperate. 1 dot, 2 dots, 3 dots, and X, a dash etc etc good ways to keep em seperate and they punch out and leave the case clean.

I have marked the cases in the past and the ink will remove easily with 4/0 steel wool. I use 4/0 to polish my cases all the time. Much faster than tumbling if your not doing a large batch.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote