New
Find
Notify
Tools

H335 vs. Benchmark?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone using both in their 223? It seems they have very similar burn rates but Benchmark seems to produce a bunch more velocity. Does anyone have firsthand experience and thoughts?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I ran any H335 but Benchmark is much cleaner and is my favorite powder in the 223. TAC is showing promise in my bolt rifles, but Benchmark is still the one I reach for.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
h335 is my core rifle powder, from 222 through 550 express.. tac is the fraternal twin of h335

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them both. One of my 223s prefers Benchmark, the other likes 335. Your rifle will tell you which is best.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot my .222 and .223s for accuracy not speed and it seems that I can always get a bit tighter groups with H335. YMMV

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I shoot my .222 and .223s for accuracy not speed and it seems that I can always get a bit tighter groups with H335. YMMV

With your 222 loads what bullet weight and gr weight are you finding your best accuracy, I have several pounds of 335 to use up.
Thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
53gr SMK, 52gr Rem BRHP(they don't make these anymore) 26grs H335. The rifles I'm shooting these combos in are custom chambered and require neck turning. YMMV

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a real good article on H335 and the surplus powders that are suppose to be the same thing. Read all if it, it's interesting:

http://www.223reloads.com/home...loading/wc-846-loads

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I'll summarize my experience with the two powders you are asking about as well as TAC, which was also mentioned above. I have purchased and shot 8 lb. kegs of each.

Benchmark: accurate, CLEAN, good velocity, meters OK

H335: accurate, DIRTY, good velocity, meters well

TAC: accurate, pretty clean, good velocity, meters great!

As far as cleanliness, that really only matters to me in gas-operated rifles. Otherwise, I default to the most accurate followed by best velocity.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add temp stability as a parameter for selection and Benchmark jumps ahead for me as I do my load testing and bulk reloading in the Winter and shoot'em up in the spring & summer.

I use it for 204, 223, 6BR, 6mmDasher, including progressive press loading for most of those rounds. Always meters to within +/- .2 grain for me in my LNL dispenser with consistent lever effort.
I have two unopened bottles of 335 and a BLC2 that I bought when I first started reloading. Tried benchmark first and never felt the need to open the others.

I did test some 50 grain pills in my Varmint AR last week, benchmark loads were a bit more accurate than the TAC loads tried. I just don't have a reason to leave the powder.

quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
I'll summarize my experience with the two powders you are asking about as well as TAC, which was also mentioned above. I have purchased and shot 8 lb. kegs of each.

Benchmark: accurate, CLEAN, good velocity, meters OK

H335: accurate, DIRTY, good velocity, meters well

TAC: accurate, pretty clean, good velocity, meters great!

As far as cleanliness, that really only matters to me in gas-operated rifles. Otherwise, I default to the most accurate followed by best velocity.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote