Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

load up for 44 mag
 Login/Join

posted
I've been scrolling through the archives here looking for a load up on a 44 mag and haven't seen one to match my situation. Remember, newbie here, getting everything from Santa in two weeks, so have never loaded brass ammo before. Truly a newbie.
I shoot a lot of hogs at close range, under 10 feet, so long distance performance is not an issue. I need stopping power to put a big hog down quickly. I don't need or want a pass through shot if I can help it as I will have dogs in and near the hog. Shooting a Ruger Bisley Vaquero. For me to go to the pistol, poop is hitting the fan, it is the weapon of last resort. Reduced recoil wouldn't be a bad thing, but it is a 44 magnum, so I accept recoil as part of the equation. I have been shooting the 240 JHP stuff for years, all store bought, over the counter, name brand stuff. Whatever is cheapest basically. I just ordered a box of Hornady 240gr XTP JHP bullets. Thought about going lighter to the 180 gr or heavier to the 300 gr, but stuck with 240.
Any recommendations on powder and load recipes?

New to brass reloading..

Posts: 6 | Location: Floresville, TX | Registered: 28 November 2017Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
44mag, hogs, close --

heavy!!! soft!!!!! cast flatnose bullets at moderate vels

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
240 JHP working for you now, I would not change. I love cast bullets but they are more likely to exit the Hog and enter a dog.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Ditto what jeffeosso said.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
240 JHP working for you now, I would not change. I love cast bullets but they are more likely to exit the Hog and enter a dog.

my experience is the other way around ... i've shot the exact bullet he has into wetsand .. zero expansion ....

now, a big ole 250gr hunk of B5 flatnosed lead at 900-1000 FPS .. big, soft, slowish .. plunk!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Never shot cast bullets before. Willing to try them out. Recommendations on whole recipe? Right now, all I have is a big, box full of brass, the dies are on order, and that box of bullets mentioned above.
Primer, powder, and bullet. Just any BIG FLAT NOSE lead bullet in 44?

New to brass reloading..

Posts: 6 | Location: Floresville, TX | Registered: 28 November 2017Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a couple thoughts when I read the OP. I have used a Ranch Dog 265 gr. RNFP in my 44s, but not for hunting. I wouldn't hesitate to use this bullet, designed for hunting, for up close hog shooting. A hefty load of 2400 will give roughly 1100 fps out of my Ruger SBH. Another bullet I thought about was a full wadcutter, 250 gr. as available from Matt's Bullets. A magnum load with a wadcutter going 1,000 fps will do a lot of damage at short range...

My Anchor holds...

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Oregon Coast | Registered: 03 August 2014Reply With Quote