New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOAD DATA FOR NON-FACTORY CARTRIDGES
 Login/Join

<HOPPER>
posted
I am thinking about having a rifle re-barreled to a non-standard caliber but I am wondering where to get proper information on how to re-work cases and safe load data. I assume there are some books on the subject but was hoping for some leads on them. The main reloading manuals do not offer a lot of information in these areas. Thanks in advance gentlemen!

<eldeguello>
posted
You will need to know the powder-space volume of your non-standard case. Then there are tools (ie, Powley computer) or software programs (ie., Quickload), which will allow you to calculate safe starting loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopper......a lot depends on what non-standard cartridge you are looking at as some are very poplular with a ton of info available. There is a lot in print about wildcat cartridges...how to form them..how to load for them, etc.

Give us some idea about what you are considering and you can probably get a lot of specific advice.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<HOPPER>
posted
I am thinkihg of a 6.5/06 on a Rem. 700.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders by P.O. Ackley has loading data for just about everything that's made a bang...including the 6.5/06...which is a good cartridge by the way. You'll like it.

I don't recommend it but .270 data would be close.

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hopper,

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at our Reloading pages, we have some data for this one, as well as many other wildcats.

Any questions about our data, please feel free to ask.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67476 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<HOPPER>
posted
Tanks again gentlemen!

<HOPPER>
posted
That is Thanks with an "h". Sorry

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Loading data for 6.5-06 can be found at

http://stevespages.com/page8c.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go with a 6.5 Brenneke and buy factory ammo. Virtually the same as the 6.5x06.

------------------
AlleninAlaska

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
<HOPPER>
posted
Allen, Tell me a little more about the Brenneke.Is that on an "06" case or something else? And who makes or sells the factory rounds? This will be new territory for me as I have been using factory standard calibers.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
As I recall the Nosler manual has data for the 6.5-06, so that would be a good place to start. It also has similar capacity to the 6.5 rem mag, so you could look at that data for a reference.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
PO Ackley's load data manuals (Two Volume) are good "historical" data, but they're are grossly out of date!

Moving into a "wildcat" load means exactly that. You're on your own more or less.

If you're going to do load development you'll need a chronograph, and eventually some load development software. But once you get into the process it's like the difference between playing by ear, and reading music.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 Brenneke became a factory cartridge in Europe back in the late 80's or early 90's. It is actually the 6.5X270 but you could make it from 30-06, 25-06, 280 Rem or 270 Winchester brass. Also you can shoot 6.5X06 in the 6.5 Brenneke where as you cannot shoot 6.5 Brenneke in the 6.5X06. RWS or Norma makes factory ammo for this I believe. It is about midway between the 6.5X55 and the 264 Win Mag.in velocities with corresponding bullets. I would make one off either a Ruger or Win action with the claw extractors so that I could later just rechamber and with a little bit of bolt face work, have a 264 Win Mag if I decided that this was not enough.

------------------
AlleninAlaska

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
<dcjs>
posted
hi allen,
the cartrige currently manufactured by RWS is the 6,5x65 RWS, which has a slightly bigger base diameter so that other chambers can be reamed out when rechambering. furthermore the case is longer than the 06 and the shoulder is further forward.
thus, the 6,5x65 can not be chambered in a 6,5-06.

mfg

david

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra and Nosler both have data for it.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dcjs, you talking the 6.5X64 (6.5 Brenneke) or 6.5X65 RWS, two different cartridges.

------------------
AlleninAlaska

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Are you the same Allen in Ak that use to post at shooters.com? Enjoyed your posts, that's how I got my name.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Glore:
dcjs, you talking the 6.5X64 (6.5 Brenneke) or 6.5X65 RWS, two different cartridges.

The 6,5 x 64 Brenneke was made by MEN upon a standardization by Hannes Kepplinger. Since they have virtually given up their civilian ammo line, I don't recall offhand whether and how ammo is available now. I suggest giving Kepplinger a call.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<HOPPER>
posted
I guess I'll have to ante up and buy some of the more current manuals. My latest is Nosler #3 and low and behold, it does have 6.5/06 info in it.