New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum primers for 9.3x64?
 Login/Join

<Cobalt>
posted
Are mag primers necessary for using RL 15 or 4350 in this cartridge? Also, RCBS does not make a collet for their case trimmer for the .492 rim diameter. What are you guys using? Thanks, Cobalt

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,

I would not use a magnum primer unless I was going to hunt in sub-zero temprature.

We use the Wilson trimmer, which uses different shell holders for different cartridges.

We normally keep a number of standard size on hand, and when we get a case that does not have one made from the factory, we modify one of these to fit it.

Also, the Wilson is really the very best case trimmer on the market, we have tried all of them, and non even come close to this one.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well all I can add to this is that I rather foolishly bought 1000 fed mag match primers for my 9.3x62 and then realised Speer etc was only using them on ball powders which I don't use.

The upshot is my loads are still accurate so seeing as one of these days I might get to Sweden it seems OK.

Also I seem to remember reading somewhere that compressed charges can benefit from a hotter primer?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Thanks Guys. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,
I have been playing with the 9.3x64 all summer, load experminting, accruacy testing and chronographing....

Do not use Magnum primers!!...I have settled on Federal 210. The case is a little small for the magnum primers and the loads listed in all publications will be hotter n hell with magnum primerws.

The more I play with this caliber the more I'm impressed with it..LIke a 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2495 FPS in my 26" barrel...the 250 Balistic tip at 2850 and the 286 Nosler at 2725 FPS.....

IMR-4320; H414, IMR (or H) 4895; and RL-15 are powders of choice.....

In the beginning this caliber suffered from the use of bullets ment for the 9.3x62 and it blew them up across the board and the caliber got a bad rap....With good premium bullets of today it is the ultimate all around caliber, surpassing the great old 375 as an all arounder....shoots flatter and has the advantage of sectional density, gives a little in cross section, but not much....I had an ocassion to use a borrowed one at one time in Africa on a buff cull and it impressed my then..so I built one for myself and it is the berries...No, I would sell my 375 just to own one but I do consider it a slightly better round.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41882 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,
I have been playing with the 9.3x64 all summer, load experimenting, accuracy testing and chronographing....

Do not use Magnum primers!!...I have settled on Federal 210. The case is a little small for the magnum primers and the loads listed in all publications will be hotter n hell with magnum primers.

The more I play with this caliber the more I'm impressed with it..Like a 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2495 FPS in my 26" barrel...the 250 Ballistic tip at 2850 and the 286 Nosler at 2725 FPS.....

IMR-4320; H414, IMR (or H) 4895; and RL-15 are powders of choice.....

In the beginning this caliber suffered from the use of bullets meant for the 9.3x62 and it blew them up across the board and the caliber got a bad rap....

With good premium bullets of today it is the ultimate all around caliber, surpassing the great old 375 as an all arounder....shoots flatter and has the advantage of sectional density, gives up a little in cross section, but not much....

I had an occasion to use a borrowed one at one time in Africa on a buff cull and it impressed me..so I built one for myself and it is the berries...

No, I would sell my 375 H&H just to own one but I do consider it a slightly better round.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41882 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Ray,
I have 4320 and 4895. What are some good starting loads for the 286gr bullets? Do you have any experience with AA2700? When the UPS dude brings me my bbl/action it will be like Christmas as a kid. Come to think of it, it just might be close to Christmas. I think this is going to be my favorite rifle, filling the void between my .35 Imp Whelen and the .416 Rem. A good, as you say, do everything rifle. I received my dies yesterday and was playing with some 270gr Speers. Yea, I know, they are worthless, but all I had. Loaded to an OAL of 3.43in, only about .25in of the bullet was in the case. I think old Wilhelm designed this cartridge for long, heavy for caliber bullets to be driven at moderate speeds. Good recipe 90 years ago and good now. Thanks for all your help. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
KEEP IN MIND THAT I TWEAK EVERY LAST OUNCE OF VELOCITY AND ACCURACY THAT I CAN GET, SO WORK UP CAREFULLY FROM MY LOADS AS THEY ARE FOR MY GUN ONLY: All chronographed 15 shot averages...

77 GRS. H-414 286 Nosler Part. 2701 .990 av. grp.

75 grs. IMR4350 286 Nosler Part. 2650 FPS
.550 av. grp. super mild and accurate

68 grs. IMR4320 250 Nosler Bal tip 2790 FPS
most accurate load .242 av. grp out of 5

77.5 grs. ww-760 250 Swift 2850 2850 FPS Hot load but very accurate at .977...absolute max in my rifle, will cut one grain..

67Grs IMR4320 300 Swift 2560FPS .999 grps.

77Grs. H414 250 Barnes X 2820 FPS 3 shot av. and 1" grps.

65grs. H4895 320 woodleigh 2494 FPS grps not measured but under half inch and in a perfect clover every time...Best accuracy out of this rifle...

I have several pages of loads but these were my best and I will be using them only. These loads also print to within 3 inches of each other vertically and dead center horizontally. that's a big plus..

I have had this rifle on the market but am about to have 2nd thoughts on it and it's just beautiful to boot.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<Cobalt>
posted
Muchas Gracias, Ray. Will start low, work up and let you know the results. Cobalt

<redleg155>
posted
Ray,

Glad to see you've got some loads worked up for that rifle.

I'm guessing a good starting point for RL15 and the 286 gr. partition would be around 65 or 66 grains -- your thoughts?

Also, how would H4350 compare to IMR4350 in this application. I have some H4350 around but none of the IMR version.

Thanks,

redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Given a 9.3x62, a compressed charge of (55-60gr)non ball powder and sub zero would you change your mind on the magnum primers?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x64 case is a small package with a big pay load...I cannot think of an instance where I didn't run into trouble with the magnum primers...mostly pressure problems, it do make a big difference in this case..Figure a magnum primer as an additional 3 grs. of powder overall...that in itself is very unusual in a round...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redleg,
IMR-4350 and H-4350 are pretty much interchangable, but start a few grs. below max for both and work up, normally their will be a grain or two difference.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<redleg155>
posted
Thanks.

redleg

<Cobalt>
posted
Suppose AA4350 is pretty close also?
A couple of years ago I bought some AA2700 just to try in a .35 Whelen Imp. AA claimed it was suitable for a wide range of calibers, but at near max case capacity. Any experience with AA powders in general?
Cobalt