THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for a modern 45/70 rolling block ?
 Login/Join

posted
I have lots of IMR 4895 I'd like to use up with some Remington 405gr. bullets. There does not seem like a lot of info regarding that combo out there, although I did find that IMR recommends a max of 52.5 grains with 4895 and 405gr. Is that max really ok in a rolling block? Any ideas or suggestions ?
Thanks....JJB

Posts: 20 | Location: Santa Rosa, California | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you mean the remax remington from navy arms? ROLLING block loads, which are trapdoor springfield levels.. those actions are not designed for pressure, and you do not want it to be an "automatice ejector" as your head would be behind it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39556 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A modern rolling block is simply an old design made with new equipment and new metal.
I would not load a rolling block new or old to pressures greater than those designed for the trapdoor. A 52+gr load sounds like a load for a lever action. Go to www.hodgdon.com they list around 48gr max for 4895 and the 405 in their trap door loads.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had checked Hodgdon before but their loads are for lead not jacketed bullets......and anyway the powder I have is IMR's 4895.

Somewhere I read to equate the two brands of 4895, one could reduce the IMR loads 2 to 5 grains from the Hodgdon listings......is that true?

As a side point, I was also told by the folks at IMR that I could safely go up to 40% under any maximum IMR loads I was considering.

So that brings me back.......any suggested loads for 405gr. jacketed with IMR 4895?

thanks, JJB

Posts: 20 | Location: Santa Rosa, California | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I for got to mention....It is a Pedersoli made rolling block......JJB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU will have to intrepret this and make your own decisions. YOUR OWN RISK!.

Mr. Jack O'Connor wrote, many, many times of the 7x57 Mauser Remington Rolling Blocks made in the late 1800s for Mexico, I think. Way back then, they were cheap. Knew a man who bought a dozen for about $12.00 per... ENVY!

POINT: Jack said that modern manual "starting loads" were plenty hot for the Rolling Block. Do not exceed. Use "starting loads" only...

O.K. 7x57 has been loaded "light" in USA. 45K CUP maybe. (Like the .30/'06...)

.45/70 has 3 lifes so to speak. "Trapdoor" limited to about 20K CUP. "Lever Action" limited to 40K CUP. And "New Single shots" (like the Ruger #1) which can take about anything not "crazy."

I would look for the "lever action" data and use the starting loads. If the gun is new and well made which Pedersoli should be, it should not have a problem with the 30K CUP - 40K CUP loads. 4895 is, per Lyman, well suited to "cutting loads" and should adapt to this easily. I know my older Speer manual had smokeless loads. (#9?) I don't sweat with a Siam Mauser, but a rolling block? "Light" "lever action" loads. For me anyway. luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rolling blocks will let the breech come back
far enough to bend the brass. If you keep the chamber dry, and the pressure down to around
35-40 KPSI the brass will stay straight.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "keep the chamber dry"?

And I found a recomended load for swift 400gr A-frame bullets of: min 42.8gr /max 46.0gr with IMR 4895. And yet IMR says a max of 52.5gr
with Win 405gr SP. What gives? That seems a bit far apart. Am I missing something here?

These are all for the trapdoor/rolling block.
JJB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the source of the data, Hornady sets trapdoor limits at 25KCUP, Hodgdon sets it at about 28KCUP depending on the load, whereas Lyman sets it at 18KCUP, and others somewhere in between.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Another issue with the rolling block as I understand it is that a pierced primer will result in the gas travelling straight back along the firing pin recess and any that is not deflected by the hammer just goes straight back into the shooters face.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By dry I mean oilfree.
When a cartridge fires the primer pushes the case forward as far as it can. The primer is now protruding to the amount of the headspace.
In a dry chamber the pressure holds the case forward until the
pressure traches somthing like 40KPSI. Then
it comes back over the primer (that's what causes riviting). In an oiled chamber the case comes back at much lower pressure.
A pierced primer does more than spray the shooter. If it pushes the firing pin back
hardenough it will unock the action at a very
bad point in time.
These are interesting actions, I shoot three of them, but they are not high pressure designs.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hawkins.....
Thanks for the explaination....JJB

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Pedersoli has chambered their RBs for the .30-40. I wouldn't load a modern roller much past 30,000 in a case the diameter of the .45-70. A modern .45-70 from the EU will have been proofed to 32,000 psi (that's piezo sensors, not CUP). It might conceivably have been proofed to SAAMI specs for sale only in the US (I doubt it though), in which case it could have been proofed to 28,000 CUP. The original smokeless Remingtons were chambered for some hot, WW-I military loadings, but that doesn't mean they expected them to live long with such loadings; it was a war emergency order for rifles.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't exceed the SAAMI limits [27,000 ].As I understand the typical factory loads are about 18,000 and they are fine for deer etc.Loading up to 27,000 will be very potent indeed !!