Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Trim Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
I mainly neck size only using Lee dies. Can Redding trim dies be used to bump the shoulder back? Trying to avoid buying body dies?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
I had the same desire. To bump the shoulder back every 5 reloading or so. I'm not sure that a trim die would be an exact fit to bump the shoulder.

I bought a Redding body die. From Midway
Redding Body

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Redding does not list a body die for my 300 H&H

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only Redding trim die that I have is a 40-65 and it is the same dimension in the neck as a FL die.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ABOB,
I forgot to tell you that Redding advertises their trim dies as having an over size neck.
I would recommend calling the factory and ask them how they are manufactured in each caliber.

I do know that RCBS trim dies are larger than a FL die in the neck by about .007 to .010. They can also tell you what they actually produce per caliber.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you just buy a used FL sizing die at a gunshow or a shop that handles used loading equipment?

Then you could grind the top of the die off back to wherever you want it to size to. Shouldn't cost you more than $10 that way, quite possibly as little as $5.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
AC, I have a set of FL dies that I thought about pulling the expander off,

Also, I have a few loaded rounds that I thought I would like to bump, don't think it would be anymore dangerous than pulling bullets from loaded rounds which I do with a RCBS puller & my Rock Chucker press (I don't use the hammer looking device)

SR, I'm waiting on an email answer from Redding

Jim

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
No sweat, Jim. Was just trrying to suggest a cheap and easy alternative that I know from personal experience works well.

By grinding the part above the shoulder off, you end up with a short, body die. It will definitely bump shoulders back, and as your resulting die will be threaded 7/8x14 for pretty much its whole length, you can adjust it to wherever you might want a shouder to be.

Hope Redding has what you are after.

P.S.: I don't think I would try bumping the shoulders back on loaded ammo with a FL sizing die. The neck portion of the die is designed to compress the brass case neck to a smaller diameter than a loaded round has with a bullet in place. That's how it gives you enough tension to hold the bullet where you want it when you load the ammo. You could easily end up with a loaded round stuck in the die...pinched between the bullet on the inside, and the die neck on the outside.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
totally agree, if the trim die does work, I'll be pulling bullets & FL sizing

like the idea of grinding some old dies

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be totally missing something here.
Do the trim dies engage the entire case?

With my loads and cases it's not just the shoulder that needs to be bumped back a tad but the entire body. The H&H doesn't have much of shoulder. I think A.C.'s suggestion is the best. But instead of continuously neck sizing, I would partial-length resize every so often instead.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
I must be totally missing something here.
Do the trim dies engage the entire case?

With my loads and cases it's not just the shoulder that needs to be bumped back a tad but the entire body. The H&H doesn't have much of shoulder. I think A.C.'s suggestion is the best. But instead of continuously neck sizing, I would partial-length resize every so often instead.

Trim dies are pretty much like a FL sizer except the neck is left over size .008 to .010.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understand now.
Thought that they only partially touched.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote