Find
Notify
Tools

Which WSM for deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
O.K., I tried this in the medium bore rifle forum but I'm not getting the info I'm looking for.

I'm interested in buying a Kimber 8400 chambered in one of the WSM cartridges.

I reload, so the idea of the cartridge dying is of little importance.

So the question is "Which WSM for deer?"

Given similar weights in bullets and similar bullet construction, would any one diameter bullet have an advantage over the others?

I guess the smaller diameter bullets (270 & 7mm) would be inherently slightly more accurate then the .300, but the 300 would punch a bigger hole through the target.

I already have a .308 claiber rifle (300RUM) so I guess I could use a smaller one.

Opinions?

Choices:
300 WSM
7mm WSM
270 WSM

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you got a 300RUM, well I would shy away from the 300WSM, because they overlap in performance too much (my opinion)
I just looked at where you hail from and I doubt you get deer as big as we do in Alberta, so I doubt the 270WSM will let you down, lots of deer taken up here with the old 270Win so the 270WSM will definatly get the job done.
The only reason I am not lauding the praises of the 7WSM is that it apears to me that a deer load in the 7WSM is nearly identical to the deer loads in the 270WSM. I would suggest the 7WSM as a more all roundish type of calibre while the 270WSM is more suited to the lighter N.A deer family, not to say its not capable of taking larger critters, just other calibers ie: the 7WSM and 300WSM may have an edge.
If you probably would go for elk you most likely will take the RUM.
But like they say sometimes "your mileage may vary".

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
How about the 25 WSSM?
Most all of the deer I've shot with my 25-06 have dropped as if hit by a lightning bolt. The 25 WSSM goes just abit faster.
The furthest I've had one go is about 20-25 yds. I thought I'd missed because it didn't just drop in it's tracks.
It makes pidgeons pop pretty good also.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
those aren't deer calivers!!!

those are barely adequete bobcat and woodchuck rounds

416 wsm!!!!

LOL
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
.270 WSM with a 140 gr Nosler Accubond at 3200 fps is all anyone would ever need for deer hunting!! I have a Savage in .270 WSM and it's one sweet shooting gun.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
.270 WSM with a 140 gr Nosler Accubond at 3200 fps is all anyone would ever need for deer hunting!! I have a Savage in .270 WSM and it's one sweet shooting gun.

Does your 270 WSM give you an exit wound every time?

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoiljunky,

I havw an A-bolt in 300WSMthat I have been using in Canada for whitetail/ I'm shooting a Barnes 150TSX on top of 71.5gr of IMR 4831 and I love it. I've shot two deer with this combo, one at 325 yds and one at about 50 yds. The 50 yd gropped in his tracks and the other one ran about 30 yds.

That said, like you I get a hankering for an 8400 and had a hard time deciding on what caliber to get. Finally decided on the 7mmWSM and I love it also. Very accurate but not but not any more than my 300 with the loads that I have worked up so far. I don;t think there is anything the 7mm will do that the 300 wouldn't go also. I just had to have an 8400.

If I had to pick one it would be the 300, but I don'y have to pick one so the 270WSM is probubly next on the list.

SImdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by simdow:
Recoiljunky,

I havw an A-bolt in 300WSM that I have been using in Canada for whitetail/ I'm shooting a Barnes 150TSX on top of 71.5gr of IMR 4831 and I love it. I've shot two deer with this combo, one at 325 yds and one at about 50 yds. The 50 yd dropped in his tracks and the other one ran about 30 yds.

That said, like you I get a hankering for an 8400 and had a hard time deciding on what caliber to get. Finally decided on the 7mmWSM and I love it also. Very accurate but not but not any more than my 300 with the loads that I have worked up so far. I don't think there is anything the 7mm will do that the 300 wouldn't go also. I just had to have an 8400.

If I had to pick one it would be the 300, but I don't have to pick just one so the 270WSM is probably next on the list.

SImdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Vedy intelesting. Big Grin

It seems that the 7mmWSM is as popular as the 300WSM sofa At least in this poll!

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I deer hunt with a 338 win mag with 200 gr power points.Its 81 shots for 81 deer so far.I cleaned a bunch of deer shot with 270 win with 130 gr balistic tips.It ruined the whole front of the deer.There has to be a bullet for 270 which does not bloodshot so much.My 338 win mag just cuts a nice clean hole through.Its like Elmer Keith said you can eat clear up to the bullet hole.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoiljunky:
So the question is "Which WSM for deer?"

Any of them

quote:
Given similar weights in bullets and similar bullet construction, would any one diameter bullet have an advantage over the others?

IMO NO

quote:
I guess the smaller diameter bullets (270 & 7mm) would be inherently slightly more accurate then the .300, but the 300 would punch a bigger hole through the target.

Not enough to matter either way,at least on DEER.

quote:
I already have a .308 claiber rifle (300RUM) so I guess I could use a smaller one.

Maybe,But since you already have the .308 Cal you won't have to buy another bunch of bullets to test,but hey thats the Fun of this Reloading.

IMOTake Your Pick they all will work just fine.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote