New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big game reloads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At what point do you retire your brass for hunting big game.
I use to never load a case more than twice for big game. I've changed my ways. Now I have some I've loaded 5 to 6 times and really don't worry to much about using them in the field. I throw them away when I see a crack.
I have only had 1 case head seperation and it was at the range. A .308 case that was given to me by a friend that did'nt keep track of his info like I do. My fault! I don't use brass unless its mine.
If I had big money invested in a trip like I'm planning now, I'll use once fired or new. I have become quite comfortable with using brass that has more firings though.
What do you do?

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I use the brass until it is worn out. Don't care where I use it. Probably wouldn't do that if I paid big bucks for a hunt but with the hunting around here no problem. I don't think it is a big problem anyway because I now have so many "big game" rifles that the probably haven't been shot at big game twice since I got them.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you tell I have a favorite rifle? My safe is almost full too. I use this rifle evey year to hunt deer. Its a 7mag the wife gave me on my first birthday after we were married. Anyway, the coyote shooting can be fantastic where I hunt deer. Thats why the brass is getting the work out. Lotsa action...

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

At what point do you retire your brass for hunting big game.
I use to never load a case more than twice for big game. I've changed my ways. Now I have some I've loaded 5 to 6 times and really don't worry to much about using them in the field. I throw them away when I see a crack.

What do you do?

For hunting, I NEVER use brass that is more than once fired.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
When the primer pocket is no longer "tight".

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
While I can still afford it,I don't use fired brass.I buy it new and fire it once.Got a bunch of once fired brass.One never know's when ya can't get it anymore.Hope it never happen's but??????

Best of luck.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always use new brass for dangerous game....For the other stuff I will use reloaded cases about 4 times.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I enjoy reading all of Ray Atkinson's wisdom,. and also Hobie's and Terry Blauwkamp's, I have to agree with POP. He said it the most simple.

I usually have enough brass around that something is new or near new come deer season every year.

Of course if anyone is like me, I actually handload enough ammunition for someone to hunt with their entire lifetime every darn season.

I load ten with this bullet, ten with that bullet, ten with that bullet,,,, etc. Then I do that for about oh, well, in 243, 6mm Rem, 6.5 x 55, 260 Rem, 7 x 57. Then 30/06 and 338/06 for Elk season.

Then I end up using consistently the same loads that I always use.

Handloading and hunting season, It is a DISEASE, I TELL YOU!!!!
A SEVERE mental illness that afflicts most of us on this board I would bet.

Anyone can point out to me where I am wrong, lol.

Cheers and good hunting and shooting !
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I use once-fired new brass, for my take long distance (such as Africa, Alaska, etc.)hunting ammo. If I'm just goofing around the my home area, I will use the same ammo as my range loads.

The reason to use once fired brass as oppossed to new, is just in case there is a flaw that is not apparent in that new case, it may be seen upon firing it. Plus the fired cases are formed to your chamber, making for a slightly more accurate load, unless you full length resize, then its the same. Most folks of wisdom recommend full length resizing for all you DG ammo for ease of chambering.

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I gotta have a 338/06! One of these days I'm going to hunt around your area.
BigBullit, I am going to Africa soon I hope. I will test new brass like you do. I always full lenght size my big game cases. Thanks guys!