The Chris Bekker SD wars Part II
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
/

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Dr Ashby really a lone voice in the desert? It begs the question ... Is high-SD bullets at moderate velocity superior over low-SD bullets at hyper velocities?

Take care
Chris Bekker

No, he's not the lone voice out there.. townsend whelan had the same results with FMJ 30-06 bullets...

Now, if someone would do the following two experiements and report them..

SD to SD between monometal and Conventional bonded bullets.
take a 30 caliber and run the same SD bullet from barnes and from woodleigh into test media, and vary the vel from 2200 and up by 100fps

is SD a "Fair" comparission between mono and conv. bullets?

Repeat above, except use the same shape and LENGTH, ignoring weight... probably 180 conv. and 150 barnes....

repeat veloity steps and report

Of COURSE high Sd at moderate velocities are superior PENETRATORS than lowsd at hyper velocities....

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the extra 8 grains of the triple shok must make a lot of difference. Mine penetrated around 18" of mule deer, broke two ribs and exited. The cartridge was a 223 WSSM, 24" barrel, the animal was 175 lasered yards away and exited the barrel at approx 3800 fps.

Maybe the 45 gr version expands to a much larger diameter.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Reply by Mr. Bekker:

quote:

1) Then he goes on to explain the reason for the increased resistance in flesh encountered was due to increased velocity.

The explanation he offered was that at increased velocity the rapid compression of fluid-filled tissue at cellular level creates hydrostatic shock and so causes more resistance.

Chris Bekker

RTD.........................

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This analysis is a serious negative for increased velocity when we deal with deforming mono-metals.

I must point out that the analysis above was done with only one brand of bullet and therefore does not include all brands of monometal bullets.

quote:
The explanation he offered was that at increased velocity the rapid compression of fluid-filled tissue at cellular level creates hydrostatic shock and so causes more resistance.

Given the above explanation, the technical accuracy and validity of the source may be judged for what it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey!

This is beating around the bush again!

Let me clarify: I meant 300 grain .375 caliber X-bullets (designed for big game) at +2700 fps. NOT 45 grain .223 caliber bullets designed for varmints!!!

As Gerard says, consider the source.

Compare the .375/300g GSC HV and FN at 2450 fps versus 2750 fps, why don't you???

Use the Walterhog too.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember an article, I think it was in the UK magazine "Shooting Times" on velocity vs penetration as observed by the early BP elephant hunters.

I think the article was written by either Gough Thomas or Geoffrey Bothroyd. Both are now dead.

Anyway, the early hunters noted they obtained less penetration above a certain, ?optimal? velocity, when firing into a fence post. Remember they were using round / conical lead bullets, hardened with tin. I doubt the mv was much above 15-1600 fps.

Resistance / deceleration is, I believe, an inverse relationship. The higher the starting velocity, the quicker the rate the projectile loses velocity. SD also pays a big part. Wayne Van Zwolle neatly illustrates this phenomenon with the analogy of sticking your hand out of the window of a car being driven fast, then slow: the 'force felt on your hand etc.

Resistance to passage through tissue / body, obviously will depend upon the density of tissue encountered. Bone, muscle, sinew or a full stomach consisting of forage will offer more resistance than fat. On top of this, the resistance will increase if the bullet nose deforms, increasing the diameter trying to push its way through, move tissue aside away from its' immediate path.

The above are givens. Fluid filled tissue is another issue. Water is an incompressible material. A 'bubble' transmits pressure equally in all directions - hydrostatic pressure conditions. Fuild filled tissue will therefore offer more resistance than otherwise similar tissue. And there is the transmitted 'shock' wave affect through the adjacent impact area.

It would be interesting if the Game Departments of South Africa, the US and Scandinavia have performed controlled experiments and would share the information with the public.

In the field experience maybe, where it counts afterall, is the reason old slouches like the .30-30, .30-06 and 9.3x62 keep on going.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course if velocities are high enough and the impact medium substantial enough then even the toughest projectile will deform expansively or even disintegrate on impact and penetrate less, due to higher resistance to a larger cross section and/or less retained M0/XSA, etc.

It is a cliche now, but the monometal softs and solids have rewritten the rules.

We can now make use of higher velocities than traditional, thus allowing us to reach out farther or hit harder and deeper up close.

Sure, an old fashioned soft bullet will penetrate deeper at lower velocity, and some of the hard cast lead bullets cannot tolerate higher velocities.

With the right bullet such as a monometal 300 grain .375, superior results can be had at faster velocities than possible with the .375 H&H.

Saeed has proved that over and over and over and ...

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robthom:

or a full stomach consisting of forage will offer more resistance than fat.

The above are givens. Fluid filled tissue is another issue. Water is an incompressible material. A 'bubble' transmits pressure equally in all directions - hydrostatic pressure conditions. Fuild filled tissue will therefore offer more resistance than otherwise similar tissue. And there is the transmitted 'shock' wave affect through the adjacent impact area.

robthom,

Are you sure about the first line? Things like bear fat resist a bullet as well as anything I've seen....

Good post! I think you will find that these "reams" by many on this subject much prefer to talk of the projectile vs. the recepient of such. The recepient being probably a bigger variable as velocity increases than most others are.

I "redded" your word "hydrostatic" as some don't like it....
Some form of hydraulic transfer is certainly involved; Maybe hydrodynamics is a better word.... But...
Whatever we call it, it is there. Probably the better "killing" results of higher velocities are much more influenced by this "hydraulic shock wave" than by arguing penetration differences.

Set a full can of Coke on top of a fence post and hit it with a fast expanding, fast mv bullet and what happens? You will have to "dig" the base of the can out of the wood! Whatever you want to call this hydraulic force it is there and it increases both with velocity and how little our bullet penetrates as well!

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The full stomach of grass, heather etc, I have personally seen in Scotland with the .243Win cartridge. I have heard, but not seen for myself, similar things with the .25-06.

A good hind (female red deer, a smaller cousin to your elk) on the hill will weigh circa 9 - 10+ abit stone. Say 140lbs. A good hill stag can weigh 16.5 stone but are generally circa 14.5 stone.

This gives some idea to the resistance aspect. It is the reason I prefer .270, 7mm, .308 and .30-06 rifles for red deer. I have a .270 and have been disappointed with its' put down effect sometimes. I also have a .338-06, but have not hunted with this yet.

I have an inkling that Elmer Keith was correct -heavy for calibre bullets (=high S.D.) at medium to sensible velocities appear to put game down better. I think / guess it is due to the fact that more energy is given up inside the target and not wasted in the backstop.

I also think, wildly guessing here mind you, back then when they used lower power 'scope sights and rifles with more rainbow like trajectories, the hunters paid more attention to getting close to the game. This resulted, probably again, in higher /similar terminal velocities to today and, more importantly, better shot placement.

Off thread. And on my soap box.

I have only seen bears in the zoo, in the circus, on tv / films. I thought apart from when they are preparing to hibernate and are putting on a store of fat to keep them alive through the winter, bears are all muscle, sinew and bone.

Thinking about what you wrote, blubber would act as a good shock absorber and retard the bullet. The whale hunters had a hell of a time killing whales with harpoon lances before the invention of harpoon guns and explosive heads. Penetrating the blubber to the vitals was a big problem.

I used the term hydrostatic here deliberately in the sense that any force applied to the fluid is transmitted equally in all directions, cf water pressure and car break cables with their fluid. The actual basis of my thinking was soil mechanics where under load, the soil skeleton is supported by the incompressible fluid (providing the soil is sufficiently impermeable so that the pore water pressure cannot diffuse easily).

You are correct, hydrodynamics IS A BETTER TERM.
I read, I think it was in P O Ackley's books where he quotes the US Army Medical Corps' experience of battlefield injuries, the threshold for lights off / plug out type of stopping impact occurs with a velocity of around 2500 fps.

I think it will be very difficult to perform laboratory experiments to quantatively determine softpoint / expanding bullet performance on game.

The reason being there are just too many variables including path, obstructions encountered, behaviour of the projectile / deformation/ deflection off course/ fragmentation / loss of sectional density impeding penetration etc, etc.

A few years ago I read about some German Government road tests for car crashes - to improve safety. Squeamish skip this part! The scientist used human cadavors from hospital morgues. Just like the tests with the chicken in asack and a large airgun. Anyway, I thought this was a better test than the British ones with the fibre glass instrumented crash test dummies. Two doctors at our rifle club put my right on this. The behaviour of dead bodies is not very realistic to living people. The dead do not bleed to begin with because there is no circulation. So, there is no internal resisting pressure. Also, but I cnnot remember their explanation, it is to do with the reason unconcious / dead people feel heavier than alive and awake people - 'dead weight'.

I guess this is why the comparative studies I have read discuss FMJ ball ammo. And the larger diameters.

I am not discounting anyone elses posts. I do not have enough experience, nor width of experience with all the different bullets to judge.

I think this is an area where cummulative field experience from professional hunters, game croppers and cullers is invaluable. They shoot large numbers of animals from lots of different angles and at different ranges. That is why I prefer to stick with the old dependables. They are still around because they work.

Finally, unfortunately, here in the UK reloading is not as advanced as in North America or Australia. The moly coated bullets are a recent product here. I do believe, however, the solid shank, monometal copper and brass alloy bullets will take over. The reason here though is enviromental concerns and the banning of lead.

I understand there are problems with some of the 'new' cooper open point /petal type bullets in that their accuracy potential is sometimes not as good as conventional lead core / tip exposed soft points. Additionally, there are OAL and seating depth problems as the bullets' material is less dense. These bullets must be longer to achieve the same weight. I wonder if the barrel twist rates will need to be adjusted in future for these bullet types to obtain the original accuracy levels?

I am interested to hear / learn about the new developments.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
I'll get right on it.
Until then I hope nobody tells Saeed he is doing the impossible driving Walterhog softs and 300 grain .375 X bullets the full length of cape buffalo stem to stern, and stern to stem.

So far I have only shot several deer with the .375 Weatherby and 300 grainers at 2740 fps (5000 ft.lbs., just to be distracting to the critter). All were pass throughs with Swift and X-bullets, but the deer are hardly more than varmints.

I shall henceforth champion the 300 grain .375 at 2740 fps, whether in .375 Weatherby, .375 RUM, or .375 Lapua, all loaded to the same MV.

One planet, one bullet weight and caliber, one velocity.

Until I can get some more game shooting, Saeed will do it for me.

If the wet pack and water buckets explode too shallowly, then I just substitute a GSC FN or other flat nosed solid of same weight for the exploding/petal-shedding X-bullet or HV. Then I will double the penetration of the 2300 to 2400 fps soft of any make.

It is all in the limitation of the bullet contstruction.

Over this range of merely 400 fps extra velocity, the rho's don't row so hard against the bullet that a wiser bullet choice can't overcome the rho-ing.

My 2740 fps bullet will do the job better at longer range and up close, just allow a soft and a flatnosed solid of the same weight.

I'll get back to you ... meantime just check out how well Saeed does with his .375/404 and Walterhogs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Posting for Chris Bekker:

Rip,

I noticed that the .375/404 wildcat only pushes a 300-gr Barnes X bullet at about 2,660 fps - that is way too slow for what we want to do. We actually need to exceed the impact velocity of 2,700 fps by a good margin, so the bullet can lose all its petals (23%) - part of the fringe benefits of high velocity. In order to assist us to exceed this threshold velocity, cut the bullet shorter or simply use the 210 grainer Barnes-X. A velocity of 3,050 fps should be in reach now. It will also drop the momentum values and so decrease penetration and so make it easier to retrieve bullets.

Then you can shoot buffalo at 25 yards - one load doing 2,350 fps (375H&H) and the other 3,050 fps (.375/404), so they can impact at 2,300 fps and 3,000 fps respectively. I think even 2,900 fps is Ok, as long as it impacts above 2,700 fps. Then report if RTD is a factor in flesh or not, and if Mo/Xsa can accurately be projected (up-scaled) to higher velocities. I am sure Dr. Ashby would be delighted to compare notes with you on this one. If your tests do not follow the same pattern then we have a problem and we go back to square 1.

Regards
Chris Bekker

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
No need to get cutesy with the bullets.

The .375 Weatherby has 111.5 grains water capacity, and will do 2800 fps with 300 grainers in a 26" barrel.

The .375/404, .375 Lapua, and .375 RUM are all in the 119 to 120 grains water ballpark.

The .375 RUM factory ammo chronographs over 2800 fps in a 26" barreled M700 LSS right out of the box with 300 grain Swift factory ammo.

No need to get cutesy.

300 grain GSC HV and FN in .375 caliber at 2740 fps will take all.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Rip,

The loads you mention here are awesome.
They wil fly straight through and we may not have test.
We just want to test the principle really

Chris

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posting for Mr Bekker:

quote:

Hunters,

Who is Dr Ed Ashby?

Firstly, I question the wisdom to have petals ripped off at those hyper velocities that you seem to prefer, and secondly, the increased and unnecessary RTD that BigRx mentioned.

In the meantime, Rip could explain to us the concept of increased RTD and how it relates to shooting animals at higher velocity or refute it. Failing which, I shall ask BigRx to do it for us, as he seems convinced it is a factor!

Somehow we have to explain this phenomenon. [RTD relates to all the retardation factors that the bullet is subjected to, including the rate of set-up to form its terminal frontal area, loss of mass, and how the resistance of the flesh reacts to differing velocities (jam-pressure)].

As Barnes-X bullets out-penetrate all controlled expansion bullets that I have tested so far (at similar velocities), it is reasonable to conclude that its RTD factor is lower and as such we are generally looking at an optimistic scenario for expanding bullets.

Chris Bekker

It seems Dr. Ed Ashby is a man of experience, and as such, he should be listened to.

Sometimes it is best to back up as to why something was originally strived for.....

Velocity - - - Originally more velocity was strived for to have a flatter trajectory that allowed our cartridge (bullet) to connect for us at longer range. This 'connection" then, is a retaining velocity at our animal and not a muzzle velocity. The goal then, was to get 2300fps or so, at the animal. But a fly was in the ointment.... We shot closer at times, even point blank!
The little .243 shoots flat and retains 2400 fps at 200 yards or so. A good expanding bullet may have a terminal frontal area of around .45 caliber... And small stuff may be taken fine at this range. But remember these dynamics for later.
RTD = Resistance to displacement (deformation) is what I coined a factor on the animal's part to resist more so with increased velocity. It correlates closely with "jam pressure" but is a constantly changing variable on the animal's part during the wound channel implementation!

So is more or high RTD bad? Not necessarily.
Just harder to control the other variables that make a fast bullet work or not work.

Monos loosing petals...... At one time I would have thought this disasterious! But each petal becomes a secondary projectile; and if "released" in the "boiler room" can add much to trauma.... The remaining cylinder and how far it continues to penetrate is not a big deal IMHO, a little more important if petals blow early.
Fragmentation in part may even be beneficial! Take a Nosler Partition..... They terminate animals very well indeed! But they lose weight doing it??? Yet they may "shock" an animal better than a bonded counterpart??? I believe multiple radiating impacts (fragments) are exponential; alas, another long story!
So then, the right amount of penetration is important! We don't need more than the boiler room plus some insurance to be sure......

If one could see the trauma area induced into our recipient then indeed we would have something! That enlongated teardrop shape of the bullet doing its thing! This would answer a lot of the argument going on! Like the example of the Wildebeest and the superficial crater make by a .300 Wby bullet disintergration.... If that had happened in the heart/lung area another story would have unfolded.
So this trauma "blueprint" is the secret! If the variables stop a given momentum sooner the trauma area will widen. (radially) If its in the heart/lung area nothing will dispatch quicker without a CNS hit.

The name of the game is get deep enough with all the trauma you can induce for the given load. Solids if needed to reach deep Central Nervous System spots remembering you only are pushing the trauma area of a 200 yard soft from a .243 (or less)in front of you through flesh, even if it's eight feet of it!

The last quoted paragraph as to "X" bullets and lower RTD factor. Not true. The animal resists to distance over time.
Stem to stern may be sound powerful, but rest assured something is "less" along the way from an equal load. [/B]Something is always scarificed when penetrating from stem to stern along the way for an equal load penetrating less.[/B]

Jam factor is less because the frontal area of "X" bullets are less for a given diameter because of space between petals.

Then when petals blow off things really get interesting!.........

BigRx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
quote:
I suspected that the speed-freaks would scoff at the results that Dr Ashby obtained, as it does not fit their theory.

Here are some quotes from my website all of which have been published more than twelve months ago:

"If one uses conventional jacketed bullets, and desire the reliability of good weight retention and the low meat damage that comes with the lack of fragmentation, slower and heavier is the way to go."

"The commonly held belief that increasing speed will increase penetration is only true to some extent. Penetration decreases as speed increases at very high speeds."

"Penetration depends mostly on the post impact shape of the bullet and therein lies the balance that the manufacturer of a bullet must find."

"The most common loading (9.3x62) is a jacketed lead bullet of 286 grains with which 2300 to 2400 fps is achieved. Terminal ballistics with such loads is outstanding, as bullets are not overly stressed and deliver excellent weight retention and penetration."

"It is a well known fact that solid copper bullets do not lose weight as jacketed bullets do when stressed on impact. With most calibers the recovered copper bullets usually weigh more than the initially heavier jacketed lead bullets after impact."

"There are only two things that govern success or failure in any shooting activity. Shot placement and bullet integrity on impact."

"Animals fall down reliably if a vital organ is destroyed, regardless of sectional density of the bullet."

You presume to know what theory we speed freaks subscribe to but again you are wrong. We make the destinction between frangible bullets and very tough bullets and, as you have found with Barnes X bullets, you can start lighter and faster and take advantage of the benefits this brings. You need to clarify the destinction between monometal bullets and jacketed bullets in your mind and stop "proving" your point of view of one with the other.

quote:
Gerard's inference that the source of the information must be judged for what it is, needs further clarification, otherwise it might just stand as a comical remark (at best) or a cynical remark (at worst).

Dr. Ashby may be an acomplished hunter, doctor and a very nice person but if he ascribes the lesser penetration to increased hydrostatic shock, he lacks the technical knowledge to make complete sense of his observations. Again, I must point out that both of you made the sweeping statement that all monometal bullets will return unacceptable penetration at high speeds. You are wrong, as only one brand was tested and the results thus apply to that brand only.

quote:
If we hunt big game out to 100 yards as is the rule with a 9,3 the use of a 286 grainer at 2,300 fps is ample even for buffalo.

There is something that we speed freaks have discovered that you are missing here. Even though penetration diminishes at extreme speeds, if this dimminished penetration is adequate to get the job done at close range, the increased penetration that occurs as distance increases, substantially extends the useful range of any calibre. This enables one to use a 9.3 at your ridiculous limit of 100m , but when the shot presents itself at 300m, we speed freaks can take it. Any medium or light calibre that is loaded with ammo that is only good for 100 or 150 paces, is useless as far as I am concerned and running around with two loads for a calibre on a hunt, is a recipe for disaster.

quote:
no test could be done with a .375 bullet to impact at above 2,700 fps, as no such Monster of a cartridge was available to him.

He had a 375H&H did he not? Had he extended his horizons to a 270gr FN or 265gr HV , 2700fps would have been a walk in the park. I have a Steyr Mannlicher (complete with bendy bolt) and I run that at 2800fps without complaint. Front locking Mauser type actions easily go higher.

The following is from a PH in the Eastern Cape:

"Eventually I had a clear shot and took it at 160 meters with my newly acquired CZ 375H&H. A 200 gr GS Bullet (3000+fps) ended his long-lived career as a stud bull. I was very impressed and satisfied with the combination of 375H&H and the GS 200gr bullet. It really shoots flat, something we in the Eastern Cape need. Bullet performance was exactly what I wanted and as predicted from the technical advice given by GS. The bullet was not recovered"

A customer reports:

"Fritz shot this kudu bull in excess of 300 metres using his 7mm Rem Mag and 130gr HV bullets loaded to 3400 fps. The bullet entered behind the right shoulder raking through the animal at an angle and coming to rest under the skin of the left back leg. (43+" of penetration)"

Several quotes from Alf's article on the 7mm STW:

"GS Custom 130gr HV monometal hollow point was, however, the eventual winner. At a lightning fast 3750 fps (89gr/S385) with groups of 6 mm, I chose this load for my hunts in the Kalahari." "From the top of the dune I could not spot the bull (Red Hartebeest) and ran down the lee side at an angle. The next instant I saw him about 120 metres away. As the shot went off, it was as though an invisible hand pushed the bull over. The GS Custom HV penetrated fully and performed flawlessly." "........in the presence of the incredulous farm owner, shot a black wildebeest at a ranged 450 metres. The GS Custom HV bullet penetrated fully and was not recovered."

From a customer in the USA:

"Not 1 hour after another hunter told me my bullets where too light (50gr HV at 4000fps) and they would blow up on impact, I got a shot at a buck. At 50 meters it wasn't much of a test for the long range abilities of the 22-06, or my shooting skill. The bullet did pass completely through..... Dropped like a rock. I found one small granule of copper under the far hide exit hole."

From a customer in Gauteng:

"The impala was shot with my .22 Hornet loaded with your 35gr HV bullet. The bullet broke the right front leg, quartered through the chest cavity and came to rest under the skin of the left rib cage."

"Jaco related that they encountered the eland just after eight and did several stalks before being comfortable with taking the shot. The shot was side on at 150 paces and broke both front legs. The 200gr HV from the 338 Lapua penetrated fully."

From this it must be clear that Dr Ashby's tests and what hunters experience with our bullets, are two entirely different things. This is why I respectfully request that you refrain from lumping all monometal bullets together when it comes to terminal performance. Some makes will not conform to your theories because your research has not included them.

quote:
I question the wisdom to have petals ripped off at those hyper velocities that you seem to prefer

This is your problem. I have been observing the effect of cylinder shaped bullets for seven years, as have a number of people on this forum and elsewhere. All will attest to the superiority in creating an extraordinary large wound channel while delivering much more penetration than expected.

What was that about a pipe and smoking it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dhr. Bekker:

Were the rates of twist of the .22 Hornet and 22-250 rifles used the same?

If not, then the comparison is apples to oranges and no scientific conclusion can be reached.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posting for Bekker:

You will have noticed that some people on AR advocate putting faster twist barrels on their rifles.

My opinion is that if one wants to use a given rifle exclusively with solids, then it might be fine.

If one also considers that a 9.3 x 62 shoot straight through an elephant's head with a solid with a slow twist of 1-in-14, then I think it is a moot exercise in my opinion.

Have you done some experimental work on the twist rate?

We also need to gain a better understanding of how flesh reacts to increased velocity.(both longitudinal and centrifugal).

[/QUOTE]

A "moot exercise" attitude is a giant step into missing a list of variables that will help answer the last paragraph of the quote above!

Wound channel configuration! We choose to ignore this and want to talk only penetration depth; or the longitudinal force.

But our bullet has a centrifugal force built into it as well; a centrifugal force that varies with twist! Centrifugal force that "works" on the radial expansion of our wound channel as well as the angle of radiating secondary projectiles from an expanding bullet.

Tests may show us that "twist" may be an even more important variable for expanding bullets! Certainly not moot for solid or soft if we really want to learn.

I re-ask the above quoted question to all:
"Have you done some experimental work on the twist rate?"

BigRx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

If Dr. Ashby ascribes the lesser penetration to increased hydrostatic shock but increased penetration to a slower twist rate, he most definitely lacks the technical knowledge to correctly interpret his observations.

As for my sudden "confession" that speed reduces penetration, you really have a problem with simple comprehension. Read and understand the second sentence of of that statement. It goes like this: " Penetration decreases as speed increases at very high speeds." Very high speeds. Did you also miss where I said that these quotes have been in the public domain for more than a year or are you deliberately ignoring that. On the 30th of January I included this in a post on this forum but you pretend that I am suddenly "confessing":

" Given a particular bullet and calibre, at different speeds as one will have from muzzle to extreme range, penetration will be lowest at high speed close to the muzzle. Penetration will gradually increase as distance increases, until it starts dropping off again when velocity falls off markedly.

The lesser penetration at higher speeds has to do with the higher level of stagnation pressure on the nose of the bullet ........"

Your statement: " That is why high-SD bullet generally perform better quite apart from the fact that momentum can seldom be made up when we start with a light bullet." is a typical example of using a completely irrelevant argument to "prove" your point of view. How do you suddenly correlate varying penetration caused by varying speed and stagnation pressure, which is the issue under discussion, with Sd and momentum as the answer to the question? You must understand that repeating an erroneous statement over and over will not make it true.

The relationship between Sd and bullet expansion is not an analogy, it is a fact. From "Bullet Penetration" page 142: Under the heading "Effect of Sectional Density"

"An increase in initial (undeformed) bullet sectional density will cause equivalent expansion at lower velocity. Greater expansion occurs at the same velocity because the decelerating forces must act for a larger time interval to reduce the bullet velocity (the decelerating force and the stagnation pressure causing deformation are highly correlated). This effect can also be quantified analytically in principle, but is complex because equal bullet distortion requires an equal force integral over position (of the distorted bullet surface), whereas a changed sectional density changes the force integral over time."

Your constant harping on the value of Sd is strange to understand as your own experiments have disproved it and you have acknowledged that. Now you do a flip flop again. It is also significant that the most comprehensive and latest work documenting wound trauma and the causes thereof, places no value on Sd as a significant factor. In a work titled "Bullet Penetration" and subtitled "Modeling the Dynamics and the Incapacitation from Wound Trauma", Duncan MacPherson mentions Sd only this once in over 300 pages. When you have done the research he has done and consulted with the list of people in his acknowledgements, you may presume to speak with more authority. Until then, I suggest that you take heed of his work and learn from it.

As I have said before, you should clarify in your mind the difference between how jacketed bullets and monometal bullets behave on impact and stop trying to prove your pet theories of one with the other.

BigRx,
The answer is yes and, without doubt, twist rate plays a role in penetration. The effect is of little consequence with soft and even medium loads. With top end loads, tighter twist rates reduce penetration if jacketed lead bullets are used. With monometal bullets, penetration is enhanced.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
You know, I guess you guys are having fun cause you been doing this for 292 posts.

Seems the consensus (if there is one) is that at high velocities the monometals blow 'em up like a ballistic tip and at lower velocities they penetrate like a bonded bullet or better

and who gives a damn whether it was because of momentum or sectional density!!!Big Grin

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dhr. Bekker,

Wasn't it Art Alphin who first started promoting fast twist (1:10") barrels for big bore DG rifles? His objective was maximum penetation with monolithic solids from the .458 Lott, .500 A-Square, etc. For some reason the bullets remained stable longer at a fast twist, rate, resulting in deeper penetration. We could speculate that he needed a faster twist due to the relatively lower specific gravity of his monometal bullets. It could be that the faster twist was not needed for traditional lead core solids due to their shorter length. Or perhaps the faster twist helped him overcome the non-optimal hemispherical nose shape.

But we do know that slow twist .460 Wby rifles had lousy penetration, while faster twist .458 Lott barrels had better penetration. Or was it due to decreased velocity of the Lott? When 2 variables are changing, the data can mislead.

As for the 22 Hornet vs. 22-250 test, there are 3 variables changing at once, depriving us of the ability to make any definitive conclusion.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
woods,
You are right. The majority of shooters probably do not care. Just as the majority of drivers do not care which steel alloy was used in the construction of the camshaft of the car they drive.

The problem here is that some shooters do become interested in the theory behind the ballistics of the bullets they use and, when they start casting around for information, they are fed all manner of misinformation. On these forums we accept that not everyone spells correctly and that an idea may not be expressed correctly first time around. We discuss, we learn and we change our points of view as knowledge accumulates. The medium is informal, pleasant and serves an incredible informational purpose because we have so much experience available to draw from. Much good comes from these discussions and much thought and research results from the interaction. (Witness the fact that the incorrect formula for Sd was highlighted here for the first time I am aware of.)

On the other hand, there are the professional writers. Of them we expect higher standards. Technical accuracy, good grammar, good spelling and articles backed by good research and an understanding of that research. Their purpose is to educate and entertain and on them rests a greater responsibility of accuracy. I have a problem with technical writers who make mistake upon mistake and then put up an argument when they are corrected or simply ignore such requests for correction and blunder forth with yet more technical errors and bad theory. As long as they persist, their errors must be pointed out and corrected otherwise the myths and errors will continue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,
I see that Chris cannot get his mind around the concept of SD driving bullet expansion. This FOM application is startling, but after studying and thinking a bit, Chris may comprehend.

I really think it all comes down to bullet integrity matched to the impact forces that will be obtained in the delivery method. Bullet construction and Mo/XSA still covers all. SD is a simple handy bullet descriptor, a FOM, like shorthand for a more precise description that could be used.

If Chris will say "Uncle" and send me his mailing address, I will send him a copy of Duncan MacPherson's book, _Bullet Penetration_.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another post for MR BEKKER

Only one variable changed, i.e. velocity.

Dropping the impact velocity from 3,105 to 2,369 fps gave more than double the penetration - 6.33 inches vs 13.75 inches !

[/QUOTE]

Velocity?....... One variable?

Balogna! Yes, feet per second is one variable.

Rotational speed?? The muzzle velocities for the above impact velocities are 3571fps and 2651fps per your chart. The R.P.M.'s are 183,651 and 136,337 respectfully with a 14" twist. So we have another velocity of rotation in surface feet per second! Another variable and a complex one as well. When expansion takes place circumference increases while rpm decreases.......... One variable??? We have a wheelbarrow full!

BigRx

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
And lastly: Bullet spin ie barrel twist playing a role in wounding capacity?

I have reliable non lay publication data derived from the US military and Associated US Univeristy based reseach that says that spin and rotational velocity have no effect on wound cavity size! The only major factor that is implicated in cavitity size is bullet energy.
( mainly mechanical energy)

Perhaps you might explain the torsional loads of "X" bullets at equal velocities but different rotation speeds......
Why the fast twist "torsions" the petals sometimes 30 degrees or more (reacting to the rotation direction of the twist) to the point of even tearing them off; while "standard" twist shows little twist to petals. Why wet packs show more initial radial disruption of material with faster twists all else being equal?? Why a "stiff" soft of guilding metal/lead construction can be made to achieve a larger frontal area in a faster twist at the same velocity into the same medium?
Where does this energy come from? And are you telling me a "force" with enough power to torsion bullet petals to the point of tearing them off has absolutely no effect on the flesh it is passing through to accomplish this? Doesn't sound right to me.......

BigRx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another post for MR BEKKER

This time addressed to Mr 500 Grains...... damn I feel like the butler announcing dinner Cool

Alf, you could register for Dhr. Bekker and tell him his password. Then he could post directly.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bekker:

Perhaps you were a little too hasty when you made the statement ... "As for the 22 Hornet vs. 22-250 test, there are 3 variables changing at once, depriving us of the ability to make any definitive conclusion."

Perhaps I read incorrectly. I thought the 22 Hornet and 22-250 rounds were fired from barrels of different twist rates. Please confirm whether my understanding is correct or not.

However, as was posted above, rotational speed, circumference of the bullets, and mass (due to mass loss) of the bullets also varies in this test.

A better test would use a bullet that can withstand the velocity of the 22-250 and retain all or nearly all of its mass. Perhaps a 55 grain .22 FN solid bullet. If such a bullet were fired from the same barrel at 2300 fps, 2700 fps, 3200 fps, and 3800 fps, or thereabouts, we could get a more complete picture of how velocity affects penetration. My point is that Dr. Ashby's test has too many variables changing at the same time for us to reach a conclusion that can be generalized from.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
I am not able to find a single civilian/hunting related reference to Sd that contains the correct formula. Few people looking for information on hunting bullet performance will peruse obscure military references let alone try to access data that has been or still remains classified. Not even the manufacturers who quote Sd values offer the correct method of calculation. Credit must go to the AR members who opened the can of worms right here.

I do not know why the perception persists that MacPherson's book only relates to handgun bullets. His stagnation pressure tables go from 100fps to 6000fps. The bullet deformation/expansion section starts with pure lead projectiles at 770fps, through jacketed projectiles and ends up with steel projectiles at 6500fps. All the formulae he provides hold true for whatever velocity or other parameter you choose to plug into them. The title is after all "Bullet Penetration" and not "Handgun Bullet Penetration"

quote:
"And lastly: Bullet spin ie barrel twist playing a role in wounding capacity? "

Read my post again Alf, I said that, without doubt, twist rate plays a role in penetration. Twist rate determines gyroscopic stability and gyroscopic stability directly influences linearity of penetration and, at top end loads, the stresses that contribute to pulling a jacketed bullet to pieces.

Chris,
Your incoherent post is difficult to answer as you hop from one concept/principle/idea to another in mid sentence and paragraph but I will say this:

Lutz did not discover stagnation pressure (jam pressure is German for the same thing). Neither did I.

In 971 words less than a thousand: Increasing speed will increase penetration until a level is reached where the bullet loses integrity and results in factors that inhibit penetration. Some bullets lose integrity earlier than others.

Your perception that increasing speed results in a linear reduction in penetration is absurd.

At this point your post unravels into a huge implosion of ignorance. I get the impression you did not understand the bit about Sd at all. Let me put it simply.

The 7 pages of discussion debated the role of Sd in penetration. We agreed that it is not a good measure to use in that application. Have you now changed your mind again?

My quote is from the book "Bullet Penetration" and is verbatim. It refers to the only area where Sd is of value. I will explain it for you:

"An increase in initial (undeformed) bullet sectional density will cause equivalent expansion at lower velocity."
This means that if you use two bullets of the same construction and caliber, one heavier than the other, and fire the heavier bullet at progressively slower speeds, a point can be found where expansion of the two bullets is the same.

"Greater expansion occurs at the same velocity because the decelerating forces must act for a larger time interval to reduce the bullet velocity"
This means that if the above two bullets are fired at the same speed, the heavier one will expand more than the lighter one.

"(the decelerating force and the stagnation pressure causing deformation are highly correlated)"
This means that the factors that cause the bullet to slow down and stagnation pressure are closely related.

"This effect can also be quantified analytically in principle, but is complex because equal bullet distortion requires an equal force integral over position (of the distorted bullet surface), whereas a changed sectional density changes the force integral over time."
This means that these phenomena can be calculated but it is one helluva job.

I was sent your latest article that appeared in the April issue of SA Hunter. Apart from the 8 spelling mistakes, 4 grammatical errors and one really wierd concept I found on the first read, I saw this little table about which I have two questions.

Bullet - MV - Retained Weight -- %
270gr - 2307 --- 266.2 gr ----- 98.6
286gr - 2252 --- 119.2 gr ----- 41.7

Which of the two bullets resulted in the deepest penetration and which bullet produced the largest wound cavity volume?

RIP,
If he has trouble with the one paragraph I quoted and which contained one simple concept, how will he cope with penetration threshold velocities and Newtonian flow principles? If you really want to donate a copy to someone, I know a fellow who would be eternally grateful to have one. In fact, I am sure he will happily pay for it and the shipping and I can guarantee that he will not write to MacPherson and insult him. He is the designer of the .458 African Express.

500grains and BigRx,
Good luck guys.
Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard,
I have someone else wanting a copy of The Book since I offered to give it to Chris. I doubt Chris will say "Uncle." Maybe I can satisfy both of you.

The first person to deliver to me one box of (25 count?) .423/320grain HV bullets, made by GSC, will have the book delivered to him in gorilla proof packaging.

I have one used copy I made a few notes in, and another pristine copy of the book for posterity, or a special offer like this.

Any takers? Stake your claim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

IV. Comparative Firearm and Calibre Information
F. Bullet Velocity and Weight as Related to Effectiveness
1. The Facklerite's Case
by Lincoln R. Carr (lcarr@cs.indiana.edu)

1.0 Introduction
In Miami, FL in 1986, an FBI agent named Dove, while trying to apprehend a bank robbery suspect named Platt, shot Platt with a 9x19mm 115gr Winchester Silvertip. The bullet penetrated through one of the suspect's arms and into his chest.[1] It stopped in Platt's right lung, lacking sufficient penetration to reach the heart or any of the major blood vessels of the mid-chest. After being hit, the suspect killed two FBI agents, including Dove, and wounded five other agents. [2]

This infamous incident has been a catalyst for research into the performance of handgun ammunition. Unfortunately, much of this research has failed to reach the participants of rec.guns. For example, one reads of the continued recommendation of light, fast 9x19mm rounds that certainly, on average, do not penetrate enough to reach the vital structures of the chest nor of the spine, especially if one considers how the bullet might have to reach these structures after penetrating an arm or light cover.

Usually, the ones recommending such cartridges cite the problematic statistics of Marshall and Sanow, whose work seems, in many cases, to contradict the intuitions of other wound ballisticians and the recommendations of other wound ballistics models. Hopefully, the people who place so much faith in Marshall and Sanow will reconsider their positions when confronted with information from other sources.

Others in the group are fond of crowing that their particular cartridge is the best. They would have one think that no lesser cartridge than the one they choose is worthy of consideration. One might conclude that an aggressor would take his own life in abject terror when confronted with a .45ACP or a 10mm. While a larger, more powerful cartridge is desirable, there is a level of adequacy at which one is perfectly justified in feeling comfortable. It is much more desirable to hit one's target with an adequate bullet than to miss with a super bullet.

Dr. Martin L. Fackler and other wound ballistics researchers following his lead address all of these issues. Duncan MacPherson, with the help of Dr. Fackler, has developed a model that predicts bullet penetration and tissue destruction. The research of Fackler, MacPherson, and others answers many of the questions of wound ballistics. These include how handgun bullets incapacitate aggressors, how one might measure relative wounding capability, why Glasers, et al., suck, and what some of the problems are with combat data and statistics drawn from it. Even Evan Marshall seems to agree with some of their basic premises.

2.0 How Handgun Bullets Incapacitate
Handgun bullets incapacitate reliably via two methods: through damage to the central nervous system or through rapid blood loss. Breaking bones or shattering pelves do not necessarily take people out of a fight. Other mechanisms, such as "pressure effects," are unreliable at best and nonexistent, or at the very least not sufficiently proven, at worst.

As a bullet enters tissue, it creates a permanent, "crush," cavity and a temporary cavity, the latter of which is produced by cavitation. The bullet certainly destroys tissue in the permanent cavity. It damages tissue affected by the temporary cavity only if such tissue is stretched beyond its elastic limit. Unfortunately, many tissues of the body are very tolerant of such stretching. In addition, many of the vital structures that must be damaged by the bullet are deep within the body. A bullet, to be effective, must penetrate enough to reach these vital structures. The problem is compounded by the fact that many times a bullet enters the torso at an odd angle or must pass through an intermediate target, such as an arm, before reaching the torso at all. Drawing on his experience as a combat surgeon and his research into wound ballistics, Fackler observes the following:

Cavitation can be dramatic in tissue simulants, but many body tissues are flexible and elastic. In the living animal, it has been shown that much of the energy spent in forming the temporary cavity can be absorbed with little residual damage. The more elastic tissues--bowel wall, lung--and muscle suffer minimal permanent disruption compared to the relatively inelastic liver. Large blood vessels are also quite elastic and tolerate temporary cavity displacement well. Removal of a part of their wall by direct bullet impact however, is not well tolerated.

Rapid blood loss from bullet holes is the proven incapacitation mechanism from small arms. Other than disruption of the brain or cervical spinal cord, it is the only reliable mechanism available to the handgun user.

Insufficient penetration depth to reach and disrupt the body's major blood vessels is the greatest deficiency of the light--under 120 grains (7.8g) in .38 calibre--handgun bullet. The large blood vessels--aorta and vena cava--are located in the back of the abdominal cavity. Their average distance from the front of the abdomen is about 15cm. [3]

Finally, one should note that there is an important difference between handgun cartridges and powerful rifle cartridges. While the temporary cavity of a handgun bullet is not usually large enough to stretch tissues beyond their elastic limits, the temporary cavity of a rifle bullet is usually large enough to do so. [4] This is one reason why a rifle is vastly preferable to a pistol in a gunfight. Each round can be much, much more destructive.

3.0 Measuring Relative Wounding Capability
Bullet wounds fall into four categories. They are CNS wounds, vital wounds, nonvital bone fractures, and nonvital wounds. With CNS wounds, incapacitation is immediate. With vital wounds, where one hits the heart or a major blood vessel, incapacitation may take up to several minutes, but will eventually occur due to rapid blood loss despite an aggressor's psychological state. [5]

Nonvital bone fractures, while they may impair the capability of the attacker to continue, do not necessarily incapacitate. [6] For example, one might still be quite conscious and capable of returning fire even with a broken pelvis.

Obviously, a nonvital wound also does not necessarily incapacitate. However, it is reasonable to assume that, while probably not provable, the larger the mass of tissue destroyed, the more likely incapacitation is. This mass is the amount of tissue destroyed by the permanent wound cavity. [7]

The first two types of wounds, CNS wounds and vital wounds, are, given adequate penetration, a function of bullet placement. [8] MacPherson observes, "[T]he trauma resulting from opening up a major artery is relatively insensitive to the bullet that causes the breach and the wound track produced in other tissue."[9] Given good bullet placement, a .25ACP FMJ can work as well as a .45ACP Black Talon.

The third type of wound, nonvital bone fractures, is not really desirable and happens, says MacPherson, "in less than 5% of all shootings."[10] So, how well a particular round produces this type of wound should not affect one's cartridge selection.

Therefore, when selecting handgun ammunition, one is most concerned with nonvital wounds. By assumption, the more tissue a bullet destroys, the more likely it is, with a nonvital wound, to incapacitate. Given sufficient penetration to reach vital structures, one can compare bullets on the basis of how much tissue they destroy. If one bullet destroys more tissue than another and has adequate penetration, it is more desirable. Assuming enough penetration, the mass of tissue destroyed by a bullet is its measure of effectiveness. [11]

Adequate penetration is, according to Fackler, et al., about 12". [12] Since this is a minimum, one should choose cartridges capable of penetrating, say, 13" or 14" or 15" to ensure that, on average, the minimum is met. Beyond about 15", additional penetration, since it will probably be beyond vital structures, is unlikely to be useful.[13] To cause more destruction where it is useful, a bullet should expand to a larger diameter rather than penetrate beyond about 15".

Given a nonvital wound, however, it is not clear how much tissue destruction one might expect to cause incapacitation. One might wonder what level of performance one might consider adequate. For example, a .50AE may very well incapacitate more effectively than a .45ACP, but most would not want to carry a weapon capable of firing the cartridge every day.

Attempting to get a rough answer to this question, Duncan MacPherson looks at the old Thompson-LaGarde studies in which steers are deliberately shot in nonvital areas. What he finds is that, on average with popular self-defense cartridges like 9x19mm, it takes 220 grams of tissue destruction for the cattle to fall. Doing a little napkin mathematics and scaling this down from 1000lb. by a factor of 5 or 6, he speculates that it takes about 40g of tissue destruction to incapacitate a human. Note that this reasoning requires many assumptions and does not take into account the psychological factors of human aggressors. [14] This is simply a rough figure that one might use to decide whether one is carrying enough gun, to decide if one's cartridge is adequate. Since the Thompson-LaGarde Board actually recommended a .45ACP round nose cartridge, which only produces 26.8g of destruction but is putatively adequate, MacPherson posits that one should, given the level of precision of his ponderings, consider 30-40g of tissue destruction a "'level of adequacy'". [15] A table of tissue destruction for common bullet diameters is as follows:

Tissue Destruction of Common Bullet Diameters & Configurations (g) [16]

9mm 10mm .45
Configuration
-------------
JHP Maximum(13"-15" pen.) 34 42 55
Cylinder(first 15" pen.) 24 30 39
All Others(first 15" pen.) 16 20 26

The JHP figures are for the total tissue destruction of JHPs that penetrate from 13" to 15" while the other figures are the amount of tissue destroyed in the first 15" of penetration. The bullet configurations other than JHP almost always penetrate more than 15", so only the first 15" is counted in the above table. Given a good hollowpoint bullet, rounds in the popular self- defense calibers are adequate by MacPherson's reasoning. A .45ACP is better than a .40S&W, which is better than a 9mm, but someone carrying a 9mm need not feel undergunned. What is most important is that one deliver effective hits. MacPherson observes the following:
The level of adequacy in wound trauma does not imply immediate and certain [incapacitation] as a result on nonvital (or even vital) wounds. If wound trauma at this level of adequacy is generated without creating [incapacitation], it is likely that [incapacitation] will not occur without one of the following:

1) An added CNS wound

2) An added vital wound and the time for it to be effective

3) A large increase in [the mass of destroyed tissue] from added wounds

4) Elapse of time (possibly substantial)

There are various anecdotal stories of more than ten wounds being required to achieve [incapacitation]; this corresponds to over 200 grams of total [mass destroyed]. It is not at all practical to create this level of wound trauma with a single handgun bullet (the recoil would be at least 4 times the .45ACP). The 55 grams . . . [which is] the maximum available from the .45ACP obviously represents more trauma than the 30 to 40 grams of the level of adequacy, but this difference is not significant relative to 200 grams. This conclusion argues that all of the calibers listed . . . can have a satisfactory [ability to incapacitate] with well designed JHP bullets because they are at the level of adequacy.

. . . [S]tatistical variation in impact location effects and psychological effects can completely explain the performance variations observed in actual shootings. The observed variation may not actually be entirely due to variations in impact location and psychological effects, but it seems obvious that other factors are too small to demonstrate empirically. The present controversy over cartridge efficiency would not exist if the practical differences were not too small to determine empirically. [17]

As a final note, when considering a cartridge, one must consider how it will perform in its likely uses. For example, a highway patrolman might want to select a bullet that performs well after penetrating auto glass. A police officer in Alaska might want to make sure that the hollowpoint of his favorite bullet is not subject to clogging when shot through heavy clothing. One should test rounds in relevant scenarios and weight the various scenarios according to the importance one assigns to them. Also, one should ensure that a round achieves adequate penetration after defeating expected obstacles.

4.0 Why Glasers, et Al., Suck
The problem with Glasers and other frangible rounds is their inability to defeat intermediate obstacles, such as an arm. In addition, they often do not penetrate enough to reach vital structures. For example, when testing the .357 Magnum Glaser, Fackler finds that it only penetrates 4.7". [18] About the likely performance of a Glaser against a human aggressor, Fackler says the following:

As we were doing tests on the Glaser, one of my colleagues asked me to draw on my experience as a combat surgeon and estimate the survival time of someone shot from the front in the mid-abdomen with this bullet. My answer was, "About three days, and the cause of death would be peritonitis," since only the bowel is likely to be injured. [19]

One should note that some frangible rounds might produce adequate penetration. For example, some types of cartridges manufactured by MagSafe penetrate 12" or more. Also, MagSafe claims that certain types of their rounds defeat some kinds of intermediate cover, such as wallboard. Given that one of the selling points of frangibles has been that they do not "overpenetrate" and given the poor performance in testing of frangible rounds in the past, one should be extremely cautious before staking one's life on such exotic rounds. Perhaps there are frangibles with good performance. The performance of some of MagSafe's cartridges is very impressive. However, since the ability of such cartridges to produce wounds is so hard to model analytically, only empirical tests will give an answer.

5.0 Problems with Combat Data and Statistics Drawn from Combat Data
Combat data gets a huge amount of attention when people discuss handgun bullet performance. However, there are many problems with it. Duncan MacPherson describes some of these problems at length as follows:

It might be supposed that the complexities of analytically modeling [incapacitation by handgun bullets] could be easily avoided by merely assembling data from combat shootings and examining the results. Several individuals have attempted to compile a data base of combat shootings, but these efforts have suffered because available data is more anecdotal than scientific. This data has primarily been used as a "sanity check" on various modeling efforts, because most individuals involved know (or knew) from experience that a model cannot be directly derived from this data. In point of fact, there are clear technical reasons why a model cannot even be fully validated (much less derived) from this data; these reasons will be discussed in some detail because it is important to understand the difficulties intrinsic to this natural approach. . . . [T]hese efforts cannot be valid (despite the extravagant hyperbole that sometimes accompanies the results).

The problems with deducing [a handgun bullet incapacitation] model from combat data are principally statistical problems, and are enormously compounded by the large number of uncontrolled (and uncontrollable) variables. The practical complexities associated with the physiological and psychological factors of the individual wounded and the complexities in the details of bullet penetration make valid statistical analysis impossible, but even an idealized situation has severe statistical problems. Most individuals without a background in mathematics are surprised at the variation that pure statistical chance can introduce into an empirical result. The magnitude of the statistical variation can be illustrated by simple examples. We will use the example of a flipped coin, a scenario immeasurably simpler than a combat shooting. The coin flip has no variation due to the subject's state of mind or physical characteristics, no variation due to the chance location of the exact bullet impact location, and no variation due to assessment of borderline cases (is there incapacitation or not?).

If a coin is tossed 10 times (or 10 coins tossed once) the expected result is 5 heads and 5 tails. This expected result is more likely to occur than any other outcome of the trial. The average result obtained by performing this 10 coin experiment a great many times will be close to this expected result. This does not mean that exactly 5 heads will result from any one trial, and most laymen are surprised to learn how low the probability of getting exactly 5 heads is. There is a little less than 1 chance in 4 that exactly 5 heads will appear in any one trial, and more than 1 chance in 3 that in any single trial the number of heads will be 0, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, or 10. This means that if the probability of getting heads was unknown and was being estimated experimentally by performing this coin tossing trial, there would be more than one chance in three that the probability of tossing heads would be found to be either less than or equal to 0.3 (30%) or greater than or equal to 0.7 (70%), and less than one chance in four that the correct result (0.5 or 50%) would be obtained. This computation clearly shows that 10 samples are not nearly enough to experimentally determine the actual probability with any reasonable confidence and accuracy. The statistical variation is reduced as the number of trials is increased, but not very rapidly. If the number of tosses is increased to 30, there is about one chance in three that the number of heads will be either less than 12 (40%) or greater than 18 (60%). A much larger number of samples is required to get high confidence that an experimental result is close to the correct value.

This coin tossing example illustrates the problem with trying to assess [a handgun round's ability to incapacitate] from combat data--there isn't nearly enough data to provide statistically reliable results. The layman may think that 10 or 30 combat encounters with any one bullet and load are enough to provide statistics with great quantitative confidence (and many articles in gun magazines state or clearly assume this), but this belief is unquestionably false. This conclusion would be true even if all the combat encounters had bullet impact in the same area of the body; the fact that this data includes encounters with hits all over the body makes the statistical situation much worse. Impact location variability means that 150 cases with one bullet and load are at best something like 5 cases for each of 30 different impact locations (and really are 1 case each for 150 different locations). This impact location issue is further complicated by the very significant variation in psychological state of the person being shot. If two different cartridges are being compared, the bullet strike location and the person being hit should be exactly the same for each cartridge, but of course the data doesn't come that way.

Once in a while someone produces statistical data to support a strongly held view, and on inspection these results do not exhibit the expected statistical scatter. A well known case is the data of Cyril Burt (1883-1971), a British psychologist interested in IQ heritage; an examination of his data . . . indicates that the absence of expected statistical irregularities in Burt's data is so improbable that the data was almost certainly fabricated. In this usage "fabricated" includes "improving" data by removing irregularities or otherwise fraudulently manipulating it. This sort of thing is not common, but is by no means unheard of; the unusual factor in the Burt case was the fact that he produced data too good to be true despite his familiarity with statistics.

It is almost impossible for a layman with no knowledge of statistics to avoid the "too good to be true" trap in manufacturing or doctoring data. Consider a situation where there are 11 different bullets and loads in the same caliber, and these loads have true values (obtained in some magical way) of what we will call the "[Incapacitation] Index" of .55, .56, .57, . . ., .64, and .65 (these are numerical values assigned to [a handgun round's ability to produce incapacitation] on an arbitrary scale). If each of these loads is used in 100 combat encounters, the probability that these combat encounters will produce the correct value of the "[Incapacitation] Index" for all of these loads (to avoid jumbling up the effectiveness order) is about 1 in a trillion . . . This result is "too good to be true", or more precisely "too unlikely to be undoctored". This same situation (and the same infinitesimal probability of occurrence) applies if the "[Incapacitation] Index" was determined from one set of data and then remained in the same order for another set of data. This result also applies if the order stays fixed when the second data set is taken under slightly different conditions (e.g., a modest change in velocity due to a change in the barrel length of the gun).

There is another aspect of combat encounters that compounds the data gathering problem. Most combats are not single shot affairs because each combatant keeps firing at his adversary until it is clear that the adversary is incapacitated (at least that is his approach if he has any sense at all). For this reason the person shot usually has multiple wounds, and assessing the relative contribution of each to the incapacitation is often ambiguous or controversial. Thus, even well documented encounters may not give any useful data about "one shot" bullet effectiveness.

Statistical variations in data from combat encounters limit the practical use of this data to guidance in assessing the general plausibility of [estimates of a handgun round's ability to produce incapacitation], and that is the way it has been used by the most responsible investigators. Any claim that [a handgun round's ability to produce incapacitation] can be assessed within a few percent based on combat shooting data is based on ignorance, or fraud, or both.[20]

6.0 Even Evan Marshall Seems to Agree with Some of Their Basic Premises
In his report for a 1987 FBI conference on wound ballistics, Evan Marshall seems to agree with some of the basic points Fackler and others make about the way in which handgun bullets incapacitate and the need for adequate bullet penetration. Showing an understanding of how handgun bullets incapacitate, Marshall observes, "The only sure stop with a handgun round regardless of caliber or design is a central nervous system hit." [21] About the need for adequate penetration, he says, "We need sufficient penetration with handgun bullets to reach the major organs and vessels that, when damaged, will produce relatively rapid incapacitation." [22] It is unclear why he would let his work on "one shot stops" be used to argue for cartridges that do not produce good penetration.

Perhaps his work would be more valuable if, instead of only giving the simple ratio of "one shot stop" successes to the number of observed incidents from combat data, he provided detailed case studies with accompanying analyses, showing how bullets worked well in particular cases and not well in others. For example, he could say, "While many criticize frangible bullets for their inability to penetrate arms, etc., the .357 MagSafe shows that it can do so in case X." He could attempt to argue about the successes and failures of given cartridges using examples from real world data, of which he should have an abundance, and not merely the statistics that many criticize.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone looked at the Lutz Moller bullet penetration calculators?

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Penetration_Calculator.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains,
I posted the following on another thread some time ago:

quote:
An anecdote is appropriate and Chris could confirm this with Lutz if he likes.

I invited Lutz to come and hunt with us in 2002. He spent 5 days with us and we went after springbuck, blesbuck and kudu. I explained beforehand that the springbuck shooting was a cull hunt for meat and nothing special, but made him a present of a walk and stalk on a blesbuck and another on a kudu. When I picked Lutz up at the airport, he only had one rifle with him. Apparently his 8mm did not get onto the flight as he was overweight on luggage and he only brought his 6.5x65 RWS. His ammunition was 110gr jacketed soft nose bullets loaded to well beyond 3000fps, as I recall.

That evening at home, when I said that he could borrow one of my rifles for the kudu, he said it would not be neccessary as the 6.5 would be ok. He proceeded to log on to his website and showed me that, according to his calculations, the 6.5 is adequate. I politely disagreed with him and told him that he will use one of my 7x57 rifles. As it turned out, he shot a couple of springbuck, a very nice blesbuck that just makes Rowland Ward but unfortunately no kudu. The terrain was mountainous and he never got off a shot. Was I wrong in not trusting his calculations about the 6.5 and the kudu, I think not.

one of us
posted Hide Post

BigRX,

You said ... "Perhaps you might explain the torsional loads of "X" bullets at equal velocities but different rotation speeds ... Why the fast twist "torsions" the petals sometimes 30 degrees or more (reacting to the rotation direction of the twist) to the point of even tearing them off; while "standard" twist shows little twist to petals."

This is a very interesting piece of information. Could you please elaborate on this for us. Are you saying that a faster twist at the same velocity is so significant that it could break petals off? I was told that twist energy is insignificantly small and cannot beak petals off - it is all due to the forward velocity?

Your detailed explanation is much appreciated.

Chris Bekker

Mehul Kamdar

one of us
posted Hide Post

Gerard,

Where you get the following from is a mystery to me ... "Your perception that increasing speed results in a linear reduction in penetration is absurd."

# The absurd thing to me is that you think that I could think like this!

This must be a fabrication of your own mind. In your rage you must have been hallucinating, because I noticed how you pick the words to knock me. Ashby's table does not even closely suggests this and in my previous post I said exactly the opposite of what you accuse me of. (Talking about making errors - this is worse than making an error.) This is what I said and I quote ... "I know the curve is not a linear one - if you want to be smart give us the algebraic relationship".

I tried again to make sense of what you said ... "Sd also has some value: It is a good indicator of how much a bullet will expand if two bullets of similar construction are compared at the same speed."

At first you said SD was irrelevant and now you made a flip-flop by saying SD is a good indicator. Not of penetration, but of expansion! Very interesting, picture 2 of your FN solids in your mind and consider how good an indicator of expansion SD might be? Even more interesting, you insist that we keep the velocity the same, but the mass and caliber can differ as long as the SD is the same. Essentially, if we do not tie mass down with velocity, momentum can vary at will. This is ground breaking stuff.

In short:

# Higher velocity causes over expansion, rip petals off, loss of mass and fragmentation.
# Higher velocity causes shallower penetration in animals.
# Shooting a heavier bullet (high-SD) at moderate velocity is the way to go; based on field experience.

I do not need to turn my 9.3 into a long-range rifle - for that I use a 300 H&H. No matter the distance, I focus on impact velocity that can be handled by the very bullet I am using, i.e. within its performance band. That is what works for me. If any one differs, that is fine by me. I am like a crusader; those that do not want to come with me, can stay at home.

And that is it!
Chris Bekker

Mehul Kamdar

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:

BigRX,

You said ... "Perhaps you might explain the torsional loads of "X" bullets at equal velocities but different rotation speeds ... Why the fast twist "torsions" the petals sometimes 30 degrees or more (reacting to the rotation direction of the twist) to the point of even tearing them off; while "standard" twist shows little twist to petals."

This is a very interesting piece of information. Could you please elaborate on this for us. Are you saying that a faster twist at the same velocity is so significant that it could break petals off? I was told that twist energy is insignificantly small and cannot beak petals off - it is all due to the forward velocity?

Your detailed explanation is much appreciated.

Chris Bekker

Chris,

You ask an extremely complex question. Bullet rotation and its effects seem to be one of the least written about and maybe least understood dynamics as well. Most of what I know or think I know are from engineering principles and many tests.
Perhaps we should start with our 45 grain "x" bullet as in previous posts. Let's use the .223 however, and a muzzle velocity of 3400fps. I chose the .223 as it is readily available in twists from 1 in 7" to 1 in 14".
Let's consider RPM. We all know our car idles about 500 or 600 of these units. When it is roaring it may be at 5000 or 6000. Our Dremel-type die grinders raise this to 25,000 to maybe 50,000........ A dentist's drill may turn 100,000 RPM or some higher. So what is our bullet above turning in RPM's?

1 in 14" Twist = 174,857 RPM

1 in 10" Twist = 244,800 RPM

1 in 9" Twist = 272,000 RPM

1 in 7" Twist = 349,714 RPM

So RPM's even dwarf our zinging drill of the dentist. And to make matters more complicated, our bullet is moving in a helix as this takes place!

It is written that little rotational spin is lost downrange as compared to velocity. This makes sense mechanically as the "spin" doesn't see the head-on retarding factors of the atmosphere (or animal???) Soooooo, now it gets worse. 100 yards out our bullet has slowed to let's say: 2800fps......... For interest we will say our twist or RPM has lost 2%.
Our 14" twist RPM has dropped to 171,360 then and our velocity to 2800. Because of the two velocities (rotational and longitudinal) decreasing at different rates we now have a helix length of 11.75"!!!! Ever wonder why your bullet goes to sleep?? Hold that thought that the helix can be shortened while RPM remains fairly constant.

Twist energy may calculate as small. BUT I do know this! The power to spin the bullet at a higher RPM has a cost. Almost without exception I cannot get a faster twist barrel to the same velocity as a slower twist one with equal units except twist. I also know sometimes a thin jacket will start to strip if pushed to too much RPM! And you can have a thin jacketed lead core bullet disintergrate with centrifugal force if RPM's go high enough.
What force is this? To vaporize a bullet out from your gun into a blue/gray mist just by spin? It is always out some too. 20 yards, 35 yards; does the "compressing helix" play a part in this too?

I think the inertia induced is what torsions pedals upon impact. Inertia and a compressed almost to zero helix length for the first dramatic inch or so of penetration. The extremely rapid slowing of our RPM! If centrifugal force stays high enough you bet it can rip petals off! It may be a combination of forward travel as well as centrifugal force but both forces are there!

If we could only see this milliseconds long event take place who knows what we would learn!

I know you can't do a fair comparison of different velocity impacts as your first 7mm tests were done. I have shot enough wet packs to know the rotational speeds must be equal too. You can't download a bullet velocity and compare it linear to one of higher velocity without adjusting the RPM to the same or you will get a bogus test.

This is only the tip of the iceberg on this subject....... I will stop as this is rather long.

BigRx

one of us
posted Hide Post
The crusader walks like his diaper is carrying a load, or he has a hernia the size of a volley ball.

Big Rx,
Thanks for the discussion. Relative values of spin kinetic energy and angular momentum would be interesting for comparison to the linear translation values.

Anectdotally, I have seen fantastic performance of 10" twist .404 Jeffery on water buckets with North Fork 380 grain FP/solid, and bison with North Fork 380 grain SP/soft. Really dramatic.

I like a 12" twist whenever I can get it, just so I know the RPM's by multiplying the muzzle velocity by 60. Wink

I always go for a fast twist if I can get it.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Anectdotally, I have seen fantastic performance of 10" twist .404 Jeffery

I like a 12" twist whenever I can get it, just so I know the RPM's by multiplying the muzzle velocity by 60. Wink

I always go for a fast twist if I can get it.

Your last line RIP is becoming more and more my choice as well. Even to the point of re-bores until archaic barrel manufacturers like Shilen offer some faster twists than the century old standards!

Actually though, RPM may not be our best measuring tool.
Say we are designing a flywheel. The tensile strength of the material is factored in and surface feet per minute of the circumference...... at the maximum operating RPM.... If we drive too much diameter too fast it will disintergrate! I have seen this is race engines where stock cast iron flywheels are "over-turned".

My theory here is that your 10" twist .404 Jeffery has as much SFM at the same muzzle velocity as a smaller caliber with a quicker twist! (and higher RPM)

I do know as well that is we push our "little flywheel" faster and faster in SFM in this tube of our "rocket engine"; finally beyond its tensile strength; it to will dramtically disintergrate right before our eyes! Something with that kind of kinetic power most certainly can't be forgotten in our equation!

The "Lagrangian" of our projectile there..... Just begging to be explored; and understood!

BigRx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
First things first. I have no rage in these discussions. See the little green guy with the big white teeth at the bottom of my post. Like this one. Big Grin This means I am of a pleasant disposition. In fact, the correspondence in the background of this discussion is full of mirth.

As to your squirming to get out of your current predicament, your remark about non linear curves was made with regard to stagnation pressure not penetration. The quote is below:

quote:
"Then you proceed to define Lutz Moller's concept of Jam Pressure by saying ... [/b] "The lesser penetration at higher speeds has to do with the higher level of stagnation pressure on the nose of the bullet ........" [/b]

Now you fall back to just ... "higher Speeds" Gerard, you are dribbling the ball.

I know the curve is not a linear one - if you want to be smart give us the algebraic relationship."

Then you changed topic to speed and penetration and said

quote:
You don't have to split the hairs - just admit that higher velocity (as velocity slowly creeps up from slow to moderate and then further to high and then higher and higher till we come to much higher .., huh!) plays a negative role

If you did not mean what you said, then, unlike you who think you can read minds (rage, hallucination), you must realise that we have to rely on what we read. This is what I was referring to when I said that at times you switch concepts in mid sentence and mid paragraph. For us ordinary folk you should simplify things. You are the simplifier, not so?

On the Sd thing about which you are so confused. I spent an article and seven pages stating my position that Sd is not a factor in determining the likely penetration of a bullet. This must be clear to any person with half a brain cell. Then I state that Sd does have a bearing on expansion. This is a different concept and was clearly stated as such. You know, one topic closed - new idea on the table.

And now for the third time: I did not discover the relationship between Sd and expansion, it is mentioned in DUNCAN MACPHERSONS BOOK TITLED "BULLET PENETRATION". The quotes regarding Sd and expansion were from DUNCAN MACPHERSONS BOOK TITLED "BULLET PENETRATION". This is not ground breaking stuff, it is there for all to see on page 142 of DUNCAN MACPHERSONS BOOK TITLED "BULLET PENETRATION". Did I mention that the relationship between Sd and expansion is explained in DUNCAN MACPHERSONS BOOK TITLED "BULLET PENETRATION".

You say "I do not need to turn my 9.3 into a long-range rifle". Well, some of us realise that it can be done without sacrificing the close range properties and delight in the new found versatility. Forcing your self imposed limitations on others will only frustrate you further. The animation at the top of your post is quite appropriate in this instance (point of view in one direction only, medieval disposition, staff that throws light only to spitting distance - very insightful)

Did you miss this in my post above?

quote:
I was sent your latest article that appeared in the April issue of SA Hunter. Apart from the 8 spelling mistakes, 4 grammatical errors and one really wierd concept I found on the first read, I saw this little table about which I have two questions.

Bullet - MV - Retained Weight -- %
270gr - 2307 --- 266.2 gr ----- 98.6
286gr - 2252 --- 119.2 gr ----- 41.7

Which of the two bullets resulted in the deepest penetration and which bullet produced the largest wound cavity volume?

No need for a thousand words or vast calculations. I don't need to know how deep or what volume. I am just curious to know "this one" or "that one" and you do not have to explain why.

one of us
posted Hide Post

BigRX

Thanks for your explanation so far ... "This is only the tip of the iceberg on this subject....... I will stop as this is rather long." Now for the iceberg itself.

I am in agreement with your train of thought, but I still have some questions. I can just visualize that a faster twist rate will increase the operating pressure level and as such increase the bullet's muzzle velocity and invariably the same bullet/load combination will never yield the same velocities. (May be differences are small enough and we do not have to worry too much about them from a terminal behaviour point of view.) At extremes many equations can break down or certain event only take place at a certain level which was not seen at a notch below.

Let us narrow the rpm's down to a .284 caliber with a twist of 1-in-8.66" (fast twist) and work in a velocity range of say 2,400 fps to 2,800 fps and compare it with a .375 caliber at 1-in-10" (slow twist).

Q1. To assess strain on the jacket should we not rather look at the rotational surface speed as that changes our as to what is happening at surface level? (The slow twist may have a faster rotational velocity than the fast twist)

Q2. The rapid slowing of rpm causes a stress torque on the bullet's expanding tip - does this mean the rotational energy is not the yardstick to look at as the value is too low and therefore does not describe the event? You also said petal sheering it may be a combination of forward travel as well as centrifugal force - I would like to think that they work together like two accomplices in a greater way that merely just adding their energies (forward + rotational) together - your view on this?

Q3. Can a Barnes-X petal be sheered off, just by increasing the twist rate of a barrel within the above velocity range in flesh without encountering bone? Or does this only happen when forward velocity is increased beyond a certain point.

Q4. I can understand that a faster twist will flare a bullet open quicker as it stands to reason, but this generally happens within 2 to 4 inches before the vitals are reached? Could you comment on this in terms of terminal effectiveness ito killing ability. The bullet's construction is the other variable to ensure either intact petals or lost petals from that point onwards.

Q5. Add any question of importance that I omitted and should have asked you.

I am just trying to bring the event into practical perspective of what we can observe in the field.
Chris Bekker

Mehul Kamdar

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mehulkamdar:

A I can just visualize that a faster twist rate will increase the operating pressure level and as such increase the bullet's muzzle velocity and invariably the same bullet/load combination will never yield the same velocities.

B To assess strain on the jacket should we not rather look at the rotational surface speed as that changes our as to what is happening at surface level? (The slow twist may have a faster rotational velocity than the fast twist)

C The rapid slowing of rpm causes a stress torque on the bullet's expanding tip - does this mean the rotational energy is not the yardstick to look at as the value is too low and therefore does not describe the event? You also said petal sheering it may be a combination of forward travel as well as centrifugal force - I would like to think that they work together like two accomplices in a greater way that merely just adding their energies (forward + rotational) together - your view on this?

D Can a Barnes-X petal be sheered off, just by increasing the twist rate of a barrel within the above velocity range in flesh without encountering bone? Or does this only happen when forward velocity is increased beyond a certain point.

E I can understand that a faster twist will flare a bullet open quicker as it stands to reason, but this generally happens within 2 to 4 inches before the vitals are reached? Could you comment on this in terms of terminal effectiveness ito killing ability. The bullet's construction is the other variable to ensure either intact petals or lost petals from that point onwards.

Chris Bekker

Chris,

"A"... In general, I see psi go up for increased twist (all else equal) and at the same time velocity (longitudinal) drops some. I CANNOT reach the slower twist velocity's MV with the faster twist without increasing pressure. The "power" required to get our higher RPM seems substantial and may correspond to impact???

"B" .. Yes. Please see my earlier response to RIP above.

"C" ... I'm not sure we are looking at the whole yardstick. It is rotational energy alright. But how is it calculated?? Twist can be increased until the bullet disintegrates mid-air! This is more than so-called small rotational calculations at work. I shot an SX varmint bullet to 3800fps in the .220 Swift with dramatic downrange results on little critters.. I loaded the same bullets to 3400fps in a 10" twist and got mid-air disintegrations and evidence of rifling strippage on those that make the target. What changed?? The Swift load had 195430 RPM; but the 10" twist had 244800 RPM! (Circumference a constant here.) I ask again because I'm not sure.... What is our induced kinetic energy that disintegrates the bullet in flight??

I think both velocities work almost congruently with each other upon impact. One feeding the other even..... Take frontal area. Impact (forward) velocity starts the expansion and "twist" kicks in with centrifugal force assisting the rapid bloom of the flower.....

"D" ... I think so. I have seen torsioned petals sheered in their root against the bullet's shank. Torn into the petal part way on the torque side BUT, as stated above, both velocities work together. Let's say I have seen petals "torn" off more so in fast twists than slow, all things considered. I don't think we can say one force does it all; but one may have more influence... One velocity or the other or both One velocity seems to perpetuate the other in either direction as to expansion so it seems.

"E" ... Alf make comments on wound channels and the military stating that rotational speed having little effect on them.. I don't know what they looked at... Maybe... volumetrically they might be similar; but I doubt that the shape would be. Fast twist seems to "open" a bigger diameter quicker in the "trauma area" of a wet pack. Petals and any fragmentation of conventional softs seem to radiate away more perpendicular with the faster twist as well. Shock wise, I believe this is good. Bullet construction must be substantial enough and match the game to allow this "blossuming" radiated area of trauma to be into the vitals. All fragmentation is not bad; multiple trauma much more effective than heretofor realized.
Adequate penetration is the key! The faster the bullet is stopped; the more the recepient's damage; the more the "shock"! One just has to be positive the "adequate" is achieved!

BigRx

one of us
posted Hide Post

Hunters,Gerard says ... "That evening at home, when I said that he could borrow one of my rifles for the kudu, he said it would not be necessary as the 6.5 would be ok. He proceeded to log on to his website and showed me that, according to his calculations, the 6.5 is adequate. I politely disagreed with him and told him that he will use one of my 7x57 rifles. As it turned out, he shot a couple of springbuck, a very nice blesbuck that just makes Rowland Ward but unfortunately no kudu. The terrain was mountainous and he never got off a shot. Was I wrong in not trusting his calculations about the 6.5 and the kudu, I think not."

Being mountainous I guess flat trajectories would be a requirement, but both cartridges would be loaded well beyond 3,000 fps, so it is not a major decision. However, more powder in the 65-mm case could drive a 110-gr bullet faster than a 130-gr bullet in a 57-mm case, not so? Lo and behold, the fight is not over the low SD's of .225 and .230, as that is never an issue according to the new set of rules! There must have been some other important feature/question in this major decision that had to be taken, considering that Gerard declared an edict (reason not shared with us). I find the above passage extremely entertaining and indicative of Gerard's attitude. Also, in Gerard's own words ... "An anecdote is appropriate and Chris could confirm this with Lutz if he likes." (Why should I be doing this and what do I have to do with Lutz's hunt?)

About Lutz:

a) Lutz consulted his computer, i.e. using technology, to determine the appropriateness of a 6.5 x 65 RWS, as he is on foreign soil contending with foreign game species and since he brought the laptop with, one might as well put it to use.
b) The answer is calculation based (Energy, Momentum, Poncelet based or whatever)
c) If the penetration calculator was used, then penetration depth need to be related to a kudu.
d) If only penetration was considered, I am really intrigued. (Mo/Xsa)
e) Oh yes, someone who attended remarked that Lutz tucked his shirt in rather strangely, even though it had nothing to do with ballistics or the hunt, but the observer remarked that he has never trusted people that dressed that way.
f) And then apparently after the visit, Lutz copied/stole the HV concept - so they say. (Just like conventional bullets of Speer an Sierra looks very similar, as in other countries in the world - Sweden, Finland, Austria, Yugoslavia & RSA)

About Gerard:

a) He told Lutz he will use a 7 x 57 mm (being prescriptive and bossy, autocratic, etc) no matter what.
b) From the above it is actually not clear which caliber Lutz used, but we can assume it was the 6.5 despite Gerard's insistence to use a caliber that is .5 of a mm bigger (must have something to do with wound channels).
c) I am always surprised as to Gerard's actions, reactions and motivations.
d) He promptly arranged a walk and stalk for Lutz in hostile terrain. (must be to make him felt at home)
d) Since Lutz never shot a kudu, Gerard concludes that he was right, but
e) We as the readers, without the full facts, have no indication of circumstances or opportunities.

There may have been other factors distracting Lutz as well, such as howling jackals, the nagging thought that the SD of his bullets might be too low and the effect of full moon on the tides near the coastal town of Port Elizabeth. Hunters seldom agree on which is best - rifle, cartridge, bullet or load! It makes me think that hunters must be the most individualistic and stubborn specie on earth.

Oh Gerard, before I forget, ignore what I write specifically, rather read into other things and then just make something up and then conclude that somehow I must have said something. Also your last question - its is of no consequence, concentrate on my spelling mistakes it will give you greater joy.(petty side issues)

Chris Bekker

Mehul Kamdar