New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 bullets to be available
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife knows a guy from church who does bullet swaging. I told him I would like 416 bullets for practice. He did some research and decided it was worth it to pull the trigger to start gearing up, apparently I am not the only one who wants to buy them. It's nice that the weight can be adjusted by adjusting the die.
Anyway, I know some of you will be interested. I'm going to encourage him to look at other dangerous game calibers.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i like SOFT 400gr 416 ... works great on piggies

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39566 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JEFF
when you say soft 416 bullet, what bullet do you have in mind
what do you call a soft 416 proj....all the ones i have looked at have got a pretty stout jacket....WOODLEIGH, SWIFT N FORK HORNADY BARNES...the only proj that have a soft jacket are the hawks, but i have never used them personally, so cant comment, but the reports and write ups have been varied

Daniel

I think for playing around cast bullets are the way to go, and with a bit of experimentation with diffrent mixes one can get a pretty soft mix to expand on a variety of game.....pigs included

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FRANK
why not just cast 400 gn bullets, cost you next to nothing and you can drive them as slow as you like to as fast as you like....lot less barrel wear with cast bullets, less powder etc etc
Daniel

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Doubless has my .416 mold for 350-grainers. With linotype and gas checks they average 360 grains and the latest batch of different composition averages 335 grains. Maybe he could pour for whatever you agree on and save buying a mold. 50 grains of IMR 4198 gets 2000 fps in my .416 Rigby with nice accuracy.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I'll pass on your preference. I'm going to feed him as much info as possible so he can make decisions.

M 98, I could cast my own. But I am currently more busy than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. It just doesn't make sense at the moment.

BNagel, That sounds like it has potential. Who is doubtless? He sells bullets?

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's petty. Scot pours with love and sits tall in the saddle. Y'all would get along fine. Cool

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the OLD hornadys are VERY soft ... then it hits the second hog, its like a sledgehammer...

not being snarky, the 416 is a great medium bore, and does a great job scoped, from a deer stand

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39566 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JEFF
i have just started shooting my 416 Satterlee arms ruger...do i love that rig....i use it for everything and last week i shot my first sambar deer with it, useing my own made cast bullets...., and yes you are right, when it hits its like a sledge hammer
i havent used any of the hornady bullets, but instead i will be going up in velocity to get expansion as at 1500 fps my cast bullets just drill through like solids....i get the feeling i will need to get up to 2000 fps before i see noticable expansion
Daniel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I know what we are talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
quote:

That's petty. Scot pours with love and sits tall in the saddle. Y'all would get along fine. Cool