Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure Signs in Remington Autoloader?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, All

I have a Remington 7400 in 270. While trying to work up loads with surplus powder (WC852), had stuck cases with no other pressure signs. Found out later that the surplus powder was banned from semi auto military. Am still wanting to work up loads, but am concerned as to how to recognize over pressure from the autoloader.

Thanks

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, the loads showed no sign of over pressure and shot well in my ruger bolt action.

Posts: 67 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: 09 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think about selling that jam-o-matic. You should use powders in the 4064 or max! 4350 burning speed range. Of course, this will reduce speed.

If the chamber is TOTALLY clean expect stuck cases after firing more than 20 rounds .... The extractor will simply rip through the rim. ( No Mauser extractor :-)))

The above was with .30-06.

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Well, I have never had my 8 year old 270 7400 jam in the field, but only while testing handloads recently. Are you going with Small Base sizers? If not, you will need them on that autoloader. I shoot 4064 at 48g with fantastic accuracy. I can't believe it either. With factory coreloks, I get 3" groups, but with my handloads and Sierra 130g bullets, I get 1" over and over. Thats better than a few of my bolts with a 280 dollar gun. I had trouble shooting below 47g of IMR4064. The gun wouldn't cycle. My friends had the best luck out of Varget which is a little slower than 4064.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks aHunter and BigCountry. I was using small base dies. Had similar experience cases stuck, rim broke off. If I reduced the load, the action would not cycle. Seems to have a very narrow range. I will try your 4064 load. This rifle is also surprisingly accurate for an inexpensive autoloader - 1" groups with remington factory loads so don't want to get rid of it yet. I have had some cycling success with the common 58 gr H4831 270 load but haven't spent enough time to know for sure how it groups.