New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Is Sierra in denial ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is a sort of "Premium" Sierra bullets, the HPBT. I tried them at the range; I had excellent accuracy with my Tikka .300 Win. mag. Two weeks ago, I shot a nice roebuck, through both shoulders at 45 meters, with 165 HPBT bullets and a V/0 of 900 m/s (2950 fps) with complete penetration, and LITTLE meat damage. Of course it's a limited experience, and I will try them on other critters, but the first impression was good. In the past, I shot several roedeers with a 270 Win. and Ballistic Tips and I had MUCH more meat damage - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Covey, I use my 50 Hawken more than the 308 these days and I have Never been tempted to try BP in the BR. I also don't use sabots in the Hawken(although I have recently made up some sabots and am dieing to go out and try launching a couple of old arrows just for the heck of it). derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Screw Premiums! After years of shooting different bullets and getting to know their strengths and weaknesses I don't want them to change. If I want an accurate fast expanding boat tail bullet I want a Sierra. Just like they are. This dumbassery of wanting a target grade bullet that will smash a shoulder a ten yards and still exit then asking the same bullet to expand well on a antelopes rib at 400 yards is stupid. You get premium performance by using a bullet within it's strong points. Nosler wrecked my opinion of them by introducing that loser of a bullet the Ballistic tip and dropping the Solid base line. The solid base is coming back but it still chaps me to think they dumped the solid base users to market a gimick bullet that is so unremarkable and unreliable. I never needed the Accubond, interbond, SST crap in the first place. They are all glitter for the bullet playboys and offer little or nothing I didn't already have in their standard lines. Speer is the only line that has not succumbed to the glitter line marketing and good for them.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Lorenzo

You are entering dangerous ground , this might be an outbreak of a new match king debate.

I know a few who prefers the SCENAR for hunting roe buck.

I shall get the flameproof suit, just in case

Cheers

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully he was referring to the Sierra HPBT GameKing (which IMO Is a great hunting bullet) and not the HPBT MatchKing!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ass, I try not to enter into any sort of dialogue with you as I think you are a silly jerk. But what is it about "NP's and Speer Grand Slams are the only "premium" bullets I use" don't you understand??? Thus, your statement about my having no experience with a Woodleigh bullet is about as astute as your usual drivel.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Olarmy, you are right, I am talking about HPBT GAMEKING!!!

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Derf
Just don't use Sierra brand broadheads, I hear they fragment at close range.

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: your experience with the Sierra HPBT GAMEKING (not MK) matches mine: very accurate and much "tougher" than their regular SPT Gameking. Regards, Jim

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Olarmy,

I have never tried the HPBT Gameking design.

Do you find them as accurate as the SPBT GKs?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader:
cant really answer your question. As a hunter rather than a target shooter, I don't have much experience with the MatchKings. According to Sierra, the HPBT GamesKings are very close to MatchKings in accuracy, and "tougher" than their regular GameKings. Jim

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The reason the HPBT Gameking is quoted as being tougher is because the jacket is double wrapped. That is what a Bullet tech said to me when I called.

<allen day>
posted
Entire start-up bullet companies have been founded upon the very realities that it appears Sierra does not want to face up to, and I'll bet that cowboy you talked to on the other end of the phone was a straight 'company man' who hasn't shot jack for big game himself, and wouldn't admit to a Sierra bullet failure if the evidence was shoved right under his nose.

Sierra bullets tend to be very accurate alright, but they are NOT premium hunting bullets, and they are not in league (in terms of reliable, consistent terminal performance) with other bullets that are indeed premium projectiles, such as Nosler's Partition, Swift's A-Frame, Speer's Trophy Bonded, Winchester's Fail-Safe Barne's X, Northforks, or Woodleigh's. They are not even as tough or consistent on game as Hornady's Inter-Loct or Speer's Grand Slam.

I shot my first head of big game with Sierra bullets some twenty-five years ago, and I've had a mixed-bag of nicely mushroomed bullets that held together as well as blow-ups, even on mule deer and pronghorns. In my experience, elk and similar large animals are not the type of critters I want to hunt with Sierra bullets, and I don't care what bullet or cartridge you're talking about. For my purposes, Sierra bullets are at their best on smallish whitetails and varmints.

I don't see any constructive value in going with Sierra for big game (even trophy deer) in the first place. I've had superb accuracy with many of the premiums, especially Nosler Partitions, and absolutely reliable performance on game of all sizes -- no ugly surprises, no failures.

When it comes to big game, statistical accuracy in and of itself can be a foolish and bitter bargain if it comes at the expense of terminal performance. I'll go with a premium that produces 1" groups and consistent performance on game any day of the week over a tin-foil bullet that is unpredictable, but produces 1/2" groups.

AD

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sierra bullets tend to be very accurate alright, but they are NOT premium hunting bullets, and they are not in league (in terms of reliable, consistent terminal performance) with other bullets that are indeed premium projectiles, such as Nosler's Partition, Swift's A-Frame, Speer's Trophy Bonded, Winchester's Fail-Safe Barne's X, Northforks, or Woodleigh's. They are not even as tough or consistent on game as Hornady's Inter-Loct or Speer's Grand Slam.

AD

My feelings exactly. I have witnessed failures from Sierra and I will not use them.

Examples:

1. 308 Win (savage 99) vs antelope buck:

150 gr Sierra Gameking at 2750 fps. Range was 150 yds. Game was shot ran about 50 yds and died. Bullet entered rib area behind shoulder and came apart. The whole jacket was found under the skin of the "NEAR" shoulder adn the lead part blew up the lungs. This was my gun dealer doing the shooting and he kept the jacket in a little ziplock baggy to remind himself of that day.

30-06 165 gameking at 2750 fps.

Shot at mule deer doe at 45 yards. One entrance wound behind near shoulder and 3 exit wounds. Upon cutting her open all we founds were sharpnel! She did not travel far.

7mm Rem mag 160 gr Gameking vs Elk. Bullet was traveling 2900 fps + and hit bull elk (100 yds or so) on shoulder. Found some blood and lost elk (after 5 miles of tracking in knee deep snow).

Granted the first 2 animals were harvested. But still the bullets did not act like they should have. The 3rd example is a perfect example what these bullets are possibly capable of. Because of the third example the first 2 are NOT acceptable to me.

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Entire start-up bullet companies have been founded upon the very realities that it appears Sierra does not want to face up to, and I'll bet that cowboy you talked to on the other end of the phone was a straight 'company man' who hasn't shot jack for big game himself, and wouldn't admit to a Sierra bullet failure if the evidence was shoved right under his nose.

I shot my first head of big game with Sierra bullets some twenty-five years ago, and I've had a mixed-bag of nicely mushroomed bullets that held together as well as blow-ups, even on mule deer and pronghorns. In my experience, elk and similar large animals are not the type of critters I want to hunt with Sierra bullets, and I don't care what bullet or cartridge you're talking about. For my purposes, Sierra bullets are at their best on smallish whitetails and varmints.

I don't see any constructive value in going with Sierra for big game (even trophy deer) in the first place. I've had superb accuracy with many of the premiums, especially Nosler Partitions, and absolutely reliable performance on game of all sizes -- no ugly surprises, no failures.

When it comes to big game, statistical accuracy in and of itself can be a foolish and bitter bargain if it comes at the expense of terminal performance. I'll go with a premium that produces 1" groups and consistent performance on game any day of the week over a tin-foil bullet that is unpredictable, but produces 1/2" groups.

AD

AMEN!! But be careful, you may upset rickt300. He doesn't seem to care for premiums and thinks it's too much to ask for a bullet to perform at 10 yards to 400 or something like that. I have had great success with a bullet, ballistic tip 150 in a 270, that has done exactly that. Hmmm. Partitions do a hell of a job at close and long range, thanks to their soft nose.

There is a local gunstore here and the guy also builds rifles, one at a time. I told him that I planned on working up some loads with the Sierra's in my 2 new custom BDL's with Shilen barrels. He stopped me in mid speach and said, Sierra's are fine for punching paper, real accurate, but there are much better bullets for hunting. He has a couple of mulies and elk hanging in his gun store. He said he shot the biggest elk at 50 yards with a 300 Win, 180 Sierra Prohunter. He tracked it for about 250 yards, walked up to about 25 yards and had to shoot it again. He emptied the gun on it. He stated that the first 2 shots hit great but the penetration only went in one lung. (??) He vowed to never hunt with the Sierra's again.

Even I didn't have that bad of an experience. I did kill one doe in Alabama with the 140 HPBT GK from my 270 over a max of AA3100 (I had forgoten about this doe). The bullet performed great but it was only a 90lb doe. Decent size for the south.

one of us
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme,

I am glad to see you figured out how to use that "marked as edit" toggle on the edit menu. Like I said before, I KNOW you have NO experience with Woodleigh, cause if you did you would KNOW they outperform your favorites HANDS DOWN!!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Doc and Allen, there is always going to be two sides to this issue. Apparently, I am going to have to come out and stand beside some of the posters who are not full of praise for the wonderful,super, "premium" bullets. I love accurate rifles and I love Sierra bullets. I Will Pay extra If someone has a more accurate game bullets {and sometimes hornady or nosler balistic tips will be more accurate in a given load or rifle}, but I will not pay more just to buy the newest, sexest, bullet that shoots twice the group size as my basic Sierra. And, yes in my experience I usually see exactly that. I know that I have heard several others state they are getting good accuracy with Nosler Partitions, but when I was working with them, they would take my 3/4 group and change it to a 2.0 in. group. Secondly,I have never really found the need to look for super strong bullets. I am not exactly new to big game, with a couple hundred white tails over the years, and in my experience they have fallen easily with every caliber and bullet used. Part of this controversy probably has to do with our defination of "bullet failure" {boy I hear that term a lot in the last several years}. Yes, over the years I have seen a few bullets slip there jacket,but the deer was always found very near to he last track when he was shot. Most of the bullets were complete pass throughs and most of the bullets recovered were perfect , classbook, mushrooms. To me a bullet has not failed when it drops a deer is its track. And, I have never seen any or the bullets that just turn into a blue mist and fail to penetrate through a shoulder to take out a whitetail. Lastly, I do not elk hunt and I do not know from firsthand experience exactly what it takes to efficently harvest a large elk, but It would have been my guess that I could just move up the bullet weight scale a bit and keep on shooting. Opinions, everyone has got one and this is only mine. Jim

Posts: 19 | Location: LITTLE ROCK, ARKANSAS | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lastly, I do not elk hunt and I do not know from firsthand experience exactly what it takes to efficently harvest a large elk. Jim

And that is the difference my friend. See my post above for Sierra failure description.

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'll put my triple shock load up against any sierra hunting bullet load you have in any medium sized caliber or larger, say 6mm and greater. All I can say is that if you are happy with Sierra accuracy, great. If you are happy with their performance on game, great.

I have a 7mag that I took to the range with 140 Sierra prohunters. Had a decent group of 1" 5 shot strings 3 times in a row on a cool barrel. Tried some 140 partitions with the same powder, different charge, and got 1/2" groups. Went to the range the next 3 days to keep testing this load. Largest group was 3/4" CTC. Best group at 220 yards was 1", 5 shot string with barrel cooled b/w each shot. Took forever. I have no problem with Partition accuracy. And to bring madness back to the 4um, I got even better more consistent groups with the A-Frame.

<allen day>
posted
That is, I think, a very sincere reply.

Whitetails can be cleanly dropped with just about any centerfire cartridge, and any make of bullet. They are not exactly the definitive test medium for bullet construction.

Get into elk, moose, bears, and African stuff and all of a sudden it's a whole new game. I have found that premium bullets work well on all of the tougher animals, and also hammer light animals such as whitetails with dispatch. So if I go with Nosler Partitions or some other premium bullet, I'm covered, no matter what. I can't say that's been my experience with Sierras.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra has no reason to be in denial. I don't know how many game animals I have killed with the Sierra hunting bullets, but it would take several pickup trucks to load all of them in and I have yet to recover one bullet. Are they as tough as some of bonded core, or custom bullets, probably not. But for the deer and the hogs I shoot, I could not ask for more. And with out a doubt they are the most consistently accurate bullets I have tried. And I have tried Nosler B.T's and Partitions, Hornadays, Speers, Barnes and others. Was the game I killed with the others any deader than that taken with Sierras, sure wasn't. The 165 gr. HPBT GameKing is a great bullet.

And there is no bullet maker whose bullets have won more matches than Sierra. Denial I think not. I really believe 95% of the stories about the non bonded, non priemium bullet failures are operator error not bullet failure.

This is all just MHO, but I know one thing, I have killed a lot of game and won my share of matches shooting Sierras. And that is based on 33 years of experience of shooting game and targets.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Operator error?
Can you explain?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And there is no bullet maker whose bullets have won more matches than Sierra. Denial I think not. I really believe 95% of the stories about the non bonded, non priemium bullet failures are operator error not bullet failure.

RiverRat

This issue had nothing to do with shooting matches. No one has denied the accuracy of match grade Sierra bullets.

Operator error??? Do you mean it is the shooters fault that they hit a bone or something? Explain this please. If that is the case, would you also argue that if a hunter is using a bow and arrow and he shot a buck and the broadhead didn't penetrate well for whatever reason that That is also shooter error? Case in point: I bought some expandable broadheads right when they were becoming more popular in the early 90's. Damn they are accurate but I didn't get near as many pass throughs, something I really feel is a better outcome when archery hunting. So, would you say that this is my 'error?' Or is it the nature of the broadhead? Before I tried some expandable/mechanical broadheads, I used Muzzy and Thunderhead fixed blades and had pass throughs on EVERY deer I shot. I don't know about you but I certainly would never blame myself for the lack of penetration the mechanical broadhead demonstrated. Shot placement was good on all accounts. So please explain the whole operator error thing to me please.

<allen day>
posted
Yeah, I'm missing something here myself, but I will say try to make these points:

1) Match shooting has just about nothing to do with big game hunting. A good match bullet does not necessarily make for a good big game bullet, and most of the time they do not.

2) If by "operator error" you mean the shooter should not place the shot where the bullet can easily fragment, such as the shoulder area, I can only say that shoulder shots are some of the most reliable game-anchoring shots that you can take. If you break the framework down, you break the animals down, pure and simple. It is my preferred aiming point on elk, bears, African plainsgame, or any dangerous game. If a bullet is so poorly constructed that it can't handle shoulder or spine shots without disintegrating, it's not a true all-around big game bullet. This is not an "operator error" situation, it's a bullet construction issue.

3) I hunt deer and hogs every year in Texas. These animals, as I've stated before, are not a true test for the structural integrity of a big game bullet. You can use just about anything on them and do well. Move up to elk, have a tin-foil bullet break up on the entrance side of a shoulder, have that bull run into a jumble of doghair timber and blowdowns, track him for the rest of the day and maybe not find him and I'll guarantee you that the concept of bullet construction with take on a whole new meaning. A great light will dawn, and you'll realize your preoccupation with match bullets is totally misplaced, and that maybe guys like me have good reasons for demanding tough bullets that stay together.

AD

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

2) If by "operator error" you mean the shooter should not place the shot where the bullet can easily fragment, such as the shoulder area.....
AD

Well, If that is what he means....I am sure Sierra has a job for him in the ballistics dept. (see the first post on this thread)

The point is to be able to shoot the big game animal with a hunting bullet in any lethal area and know that the bullet will not come apart. Not like that guy from Sierra told me "You're gonna have to get them a little further out there!"

Excuse me Mr. 6x6 800 lbs elk. Can you go stand bradside at 300 yds so my Sierra Gameking will not come apart on your muddy hide and ribs?!

Come on now! Sierra...take a reality pill will yah?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
yea, what Allen said.

...and POP!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen Day: I could not disagree more with your choice of shoulder shots on Elk and Black Bears!

Shooting either of these creatures in the shoulders is absolutely unnecessary and ruins a lot of wonderful tasting meat.

Both of these creatures can be humanely and quickly dispatched with a shot to the heart lung area! Shooting either of these creatures in the shoulders creates a mess that is prone to quick spoilage from extreme amounts of bloodshot and ruins way, way, way to much wonderful tasting meat.

Instead you should shoot these creatures in the heart/lung "boiler room" area and most of the blood from all of the animals systems and flesh will pool in the chest cavity. This will do two things that every Big Game Hunter should strive for: 1) quick humane kills and 2) improved tasting meat - as well as more of it!

Do not intentionally shoot an Elk or Black Bear in the shoulder. It is much preferrable to shoot them in the heart/lung area!

Intentionally shooting an Elk or Black bear in the shoulder will often ruin both shoulders with bloodshot. I have seen this travesty occurr way to many times! Sure you might knock them down right there but that is no where near as important as killing the animal with a heart lung shot that will drain blood from much of the body and the flesh of said creatures! I have seen shoulder shot Elk hobble rapidly into the nearest cover to pump adrenaline laden blood into its flesh. These creatures lose much in the delectable eating category!

Why do you think professional slaughter houses slit the throats of cattle and pigs when they are slaughtered? It is to get the blood out of the organs and flesh - as much as is possible! A true Hunter can also do this with an easily placed shot to the heart/lung area of his intended Big Game Animal!

A heart/lung shot Elk or Black Bear will certainly be brought to bag do not worry about that. Place your bullets in the boiler room instead of a shoulder and reap the benefits!

Other Big Game that I highly recommend a true Hunter not shoot in the shoulder are Moose, Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer! Shoot these animals in the heart/lung area!

African Lions or Kodiak Bears - yes break a shoulder or two and then get a shot in the "boiler room". But for the Big Game I have mentioned (and a couple you have mentioned) a true Hunter is much better served with the heart/lung shot as I have described.

I even shoot Mt.Goats in the heart/lung area with a rapidly expanding bullet! Mt. Goat meat is wonderful fare by the way!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
VG,

The "Hard to Destruct" Bullet shooters have to hit em' in the Bones so, they will not run. A tough bullet through the Ribs/lungs will lead to little expansion and a LOOONNNNG blood trail (If any comes out of the tiny holes).

You bring up some good points about the taste of the meat. It is a good idea to have them bleed out internally. To do that, you need a bullet that will devastate the internal vessels. A Good Ole' Sierra fills the bill on that one.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you read my post you will see that I am a Barnes fan. I have never shot a Seirra bullet so I will not add to that discussion but here is a web page about a study done in S.C. on the performance of different bullets on 493 deer kills.

http://www.mindspring.com/~ulfhere/ballistics/game_study.html

And another on the cavation and terminal wounds.

http://www.mindspring.com/~ulfhere/ballistics/mechanics.html#cavitation

Simdow

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Sorry VG, but if I want good tasting meat I go to Ruth Chris' steakhouse. We own a hunting business in Maine and EVERY TIME some knucklehead does a heart-lung shot, the bear( or moose, or deer, etc, you get my drift) invariably runs from 20 up to 200 yards before expiring. Since 99% are shot right at dusk, it's a pain in the ASS job to go and look for him in the thick stuff and in the dark.

Meat to me is definetly a secondary issue, I guess I'm an unabashed trophy hunter, besides bear meat is absolutely god-awful tasting stuff! ( When I killed my last, shoulder/neck juncture of course, the bear went right down bear I gave ALL the meat away in camp).

Now to the subject at hand, those who claim Sierras are a "good' hunting bullet for anything but deer and varmints are delusional. Just because your "pet load" ( I HATE THAT TERM!) that works with Sierras doesn't work with Premiums might be true, but the answer is FIND another load for chissakes. I think anyone who spends BIG BUCKS on any type of hunt and does the penny-wise/pound foolish of using Sierras ( or any other soft bullet like a Ballistic tip) is just asking for trouble. SHOOT THEM ALL IN THE SHOULDER. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

I've seen bull elk run 200 yds. with both lungs shot out, taking their "minimal" meat loss with them, and this is something I'd rather avoid at all costs. If every ounce of salvageable meat is the objective, then it's cheaper to buy it at a cutting house, or else on the hoof in the form of a beef animal that you'll slaughter later than it is to hunt for it.

Even so, sometimes all you have is a difficult angle or shoulder shot to work with, and you need a bullet that can handle those limited opportunities. In a perfect world, you can politely ask that bull to turn a little to the left or right so that you can finesse a bullet straight through both lungs for the sake of "minimal" meat loss. In the elk world I've lived in for thirty years, the elk are very uncooperative, and you take your shots as they are presented to you, or else you stand a strong chance of going home with nothing. The best medicine where I come from is plenty of rifle, and a well-constructed bullet.

AD

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
There is not an Elk walking that could take a 180-200 grain Sierra, NBT, SST, CL, SPIL, or any other soft bullet in that weight class w/o expiring very quickly in a humane manner. Even if hit in the shoulder.

Animals parts are not that tough. If you dont believe me, find some cattle bones (much tougher than game), wrap leather around them several times, and shoot them w/ cheap bullets. The results will show you that you don't need tough bullets to break bones.

Think about the 1000s upon 1000s of big game animals harvested before the so called "Premiums" came out. You didn't hear too many of those fellas complaining.

I still think you Penetration hunters need to start shooting FMJs. Heck, I am suprised you guys don't use solids on elk.

Good Luck!

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I also HATE the term "harvested." When I was in Afghanistan, we didn't "harvest" any terrorists, we killed them. Reloader, while your statement regarding thousands of elk, deer, fill in the blank have been killed with "soft" bullets is absolutely true, one can say the same thing and substitute round balls, flint arrows and rocks. The real question is how many were lost due to bullet failure? That one can go an entire hunting career without the use of premiums is also true, I personally like every advantage I can have and the premiums certainly offer that at a miniscule additional investment. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorje sir - I am with you on the shoulder shots. I am partialy color blind - its very hard for me to see blood on fall leaves (I do not hunt alone) so a shot to the shoulder is in order - no tracking. I am neither hot nor cold on Sierra I shoot Nosler pretty muck exclusivly but I will say this - if any one bullet was the end all be all bullet we wouldn't have so many choices. There would be no need for Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Barnes (gonna try some of these), Woodliegh, ect. Even in the target arena - if Sierra was the end all - there would be no Berger, Junke, ect.

There are a ton of choices - so many that you really do not have to compromise - find a load for your rifle and tailor it to the game intended - I don't buy a box of 180 Nosler BT or FS and expect to be perfectly happy when I blast a coyote and want to save the pelt.

<allen day>
posted
What's the worst thing that's going to happen to you if you go with a premium bullet for hunting elk?

Sure, Sierra's, Power-Points, etc. have been around forever, but then so have stick bows. All bullet progress did not stop, by any means, in the "pre-premium" days. The premiums were developed for a reason.......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my god kids was over in the 'stan and another in Iraq. They both participated in the harvesting of enemy "peer competitors" (open season, and no bag limit). The .308 (M-24) and .223 (M-12 Mod 1) HPBT's performed adequately on deer sized bipedal targets, although there were some penetration issues with the 77 grain Sierra. They both wish that they could have used something like a Failsafe or Partition, but their only options were FMJBT or HPBT.
Unlike an enemy in war time, with elk we owe it to them to anchor them on the spot, and use a stoutly constructed bullet that we can take out the heart/lungs and the onside or offside front shoulder with the first bullet.
When I shoot high power or just play around banging steel targets in the next time zone I use Sierra/Hornady/Nosler HPBT target bullets. When I chase elk I use a bullet better suited to that task. This year it will be a 230 grain Failsafe out of a .338 Win Mag. Stout bullet, moderate velocity, and an acceptable level of accuracy.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Think about the 1000s upon 1000s of big game animals harvested before the so called "Premiums" came out. You didn't hear too many of those fellas complaining.

Actually, lots of people DID hear them complaining. Again and again and again. People like Nosler. He complained a bit now didn't he? Hence the conception of the partition. And that was a long time ago. The fact is, a 243 has killed an elk at 200 yards with a soft bullet. Another fact is, there are better choices out there. Another fact is, you can ask several big game hunting guides across America and get a myriad of opinions...I did.

In terms of meat damage, well, I don't give a hoot if I mess up the 4 oz. of shoulder meat. Woopee doo. It's a very very small sacrifice for the backstraps, loins, rump and neck roasts! I've cut up so many deer and ultimately decided that what little is on the shoulder is sometimes hardly worth the hassle. Some of you will agree, some of you won't. I really don't care. I wouldn't go on a $5000 elk hunt and worry about a couple of pounds of ruined shoulder meat. Sorry, I'm there to trophy hunt. And if I want to follow a blood trail, I'll bow hunt. When I want them to drop, I use a rifle. AND I SHOOT THEM TO ANCHOR THEM BY GOLLY!! So, I want a bullet that I KNOW will hold together if aiming for bone, not one that does SOMETIMES, like a Sierra or any other softer bullet.

You kill them your way and I'll do it my way. FWIW, with all the doe tags available, I have more than enough tasty meat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of Sierra's bullets are pretty heavily jacketed such as the 250 grain Gameking .338 and the 200 grain Gameking .308. These bullets will penetrate just fine. Especially at velocities starting out less than 2800 fps. My 7x57 using 160 grain Gamekings has not let me recover a bullet on a deer yet no matter what the bullet has hit. If you guys are touting the so called premiums as cure alls for bad angles then rest assured you will lose an animal soon enough.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Nobody here's advocating {sic} bad shot angles. Last time I checked with most professional hunters, the shoulder is the preferred shot. You guys that like Sierras just kill me, kinda like gents who drive Toyotas telling me it's just as good as a Porsche in that it get me from point A to B. If premiums did not provide a useful product they wouldn't sell and yes the reason premiums came about is because non-premiums were failing. Nothing else. jorge

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
naaa.