Find
Notify
Tools

358Win - Projectiles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Finally got the 358Win out and shooting the 250gr Woodleigh RN. Unfortunately the big exposed lead nose catches too easily entering the chamber causing unreliable feeding. I know I should get it fixed, but the easiest option at the moment is just to find a spitzer that will feed. What spitzer projectiles are people using for elk sized game in their 358Wins? Are the 250gr Nosler Partitions too tough at the velocity of the 358Win? Sierra 225gr or Nosler Partition 225gr ... thoughts?
Lastly, Blue Dot is a very sweet powder when making reduced loads but those damn 158gr projectiles also wont feed with their flat noses. Is there a jacketed round-nosed projectile on the market of around 150-180gr that can be used at reduced velocity for plinking, that might just feed from the magazine?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con I shoot a 35 Whelan and have loaded everything from 180 gn Speers to all the 250 gner's on the Aussie market. Speer makes a wonderfully accurate 250 spitzer. The 180 Speers and the 225 Sierras are a pleasure to shoot. The 225 Ballistic Tips are very accurate but a bit on the expensive side and make a horrible hole on fallow. My favourite projectile is probably the 250gn Hornady round nose--- The only pill I haven't tried is the 200gn Hornady round nose.
It sounds like just what you are after
malcolm56

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Guys,
Finally got the 358Win out and shooting the 250gr Woodleigh RN. Unfortunately the big exposed lead nose catches too easily entering the chamber causing unreliable feeding. I know I should get it fixed, but the easiest option at the moment is just to find a spitzer that will feed. What spitzer projectiles are people using for elk sized game in their 358Wins? Are the 250gr Nosler Partitions too tough at the velocity of the 358Win? Sierra 225gr or Nosler Partition 225gr ... thoughts?
Lastly, Blue Dot is a very sweet powder when making reduced loads but those damn 158gr projectiles also wont feed with their flat noses. Is there a jacketed round-nosed projectile on the market of around 150-180gr that can be used at reduced velocity for plinking, that might just feed from the magazine?
Cheers...
Con
Hornady makes a 180 grain, and a 200 grain spire point. Either should do the job on elk-sized game, and feed well. My pre 64 model 70 Winchester feeds even empty shells, from the magazine well! And 125 to 158 grain 357 pistol bullets, work great for plinking. Amazing what a 150 grain hollowpoint 38 Special pistol bullet, at close to 3000 fps will do to a feral cat!!!!! Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
225 Partition. 'nuff freight, shoots straight.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CON
why not start from base one and get the feeding right , and then start shooting , and then start hunting ...just might cost you a big 30 inch sambar...MURPHY IS ALIVE AND WELL !
regards daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 250 Speer Hot-Cor works fine on elk and, although I've never tried them, the 200 gr. Hornady Spire Point Innerlocked should do as well.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the Hornady 250's too tough, but the Woodleigh 225's were primo.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In my experimentation, the 200 Hornady is not an elk bullet. I can't get the 250's to fly fast enough.

Right now, the 225 TSX is the next bullet on my list. The Partition looks good too, but for the same price, I'd rather have the TSX.

Here's wishing for a 200 TSX.... FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hornady bullets are too soft for big game in a 358...

sierra gameking 225s are absolutely the best all around bullet I have used in 358...

the first rifle i built was a 358 win

the 200gr barnes X was an all around perfect round, just could have some interesting loadings with it, as they like 1x12 and 1x10 twist.

if you can find remington 150s, they are a really good varmit bullet

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Sav99-358 shoots the Speer 250gr very well with H-335 powder. This load can and has killed elk at moderately close range. Also, although I haven't shot anything with them, but the 225gr Nosler Partition is now my all-around load with this rifle. I have every bit of confidence that this bullet will perform very well on elk as well.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard about the Hornady 250s being too tough, dunno about that based on what they did to whitetails I shot with them. Truth is I haven't found a bullet my gun won't shoot well, it prefers the 225 PT above the rest. It is a fine distinction though. Hard to beat the 225 PT IMO, I'd certainly use it on elk.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one else has mentioned the Speer 220g flatpoint. I use them out of my .358 for whitetail but I would not hesitate to use them on elk too. I think you will like them if they will feed in your rifle. They feed fine in mine which is a rebarreled Rem M78. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M98 is the voice of reason, I should really get the feeding sorted before it bites me on the bum, but until then I've picked up some Sierra 225gr boat tails.
Do most people agree that the 250gr Nosler Partition is too stoutly constructed for 358Win velocities?
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot anything with my 358 but I have a bunch of 200 grain hornady's loaded up. Probaby won't take it elk hunting, but not for lack of confidence.(not an opinion with anything to back it up though). I was just assuming that at 358 velocities how could anything be too soft. Any experience with extreme weight loss or lack of penetration with anything in the 358?

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ALL hornady softpoint bullets are soft, especially if compared to a woodleigh.

prove it to yourself....

i like to "smash" bullets (totally unscientific) on an anvil... without a doubt, these are the softest bullets you'll find...

even the 416 400gr COMES APART in a 130 # hog... oh, it exits, but it expands like heck...

i once took 2 hogs in a single shot... the second hog had an ENTRY as large as my fist and an exit that you could have put a rugby ball in

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
ALL hornady softpoint bullets are soft, especially if compared to a woodleigh.

prove it to yourself....

i like to "smash" bullets (totally unscientific) on an anvil... without a doubt, these are the softest bullets you'll find...

even the 416 400gr COMES APART in a 130 # hog... oh, it exits, but it expands like heck...

i once took 2 hogs in a single shot... the second hog had an ENTRY as large as my fist and an exit that you could have put a rugby ball in

jeffe

Jeffo I second what you have said, I have shot some grassy's with the the Hornady 300 gr .375 RN and the the thing is as soft as dog turds, on a 120-150 pound grassy shot from the rear the recovered .375 300 gr bullet weighed 81 gr !! would not want that bullet for large heavy game thats for sure. It is not in the sam leauge as a woodleigh bullet and I reckon Aussie made Taipan bullets don't come apart as easy as the Horandy's at least in the .375 300 gr Round Nose variety.

Con do Taipan make a .358" bullet ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con
Nosler recommends a terminal velocity of 2000fps, 1900fps at the very least with partitions for reliable performance on game according to the Nosler tech I spoke with a while ago.. So with a 250gr Partition or any 250gr bullet for that matter, given a 22" barrel you will probably get, with the fastest max loads, about 2250 to 2300 fps muzzle velocity which will give you about 2000fps at 100 yds, so a 250gr load will be effective out to 100 yds or so.
Now here in the Oregon coast, that is great because you don't see elk any farther than that anyway, but if you're going to hunt in more open country you might want something with a bit more effective range.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RDub,
Thanks, that's the kind of info I needed. In the coming weeks I plan to sit down and make my "little big-bore" a priority reloading assignment.
Currently collecting and hoping to work with: Rem 200gr Core-Lokt, Speer 220gr FN, Sierra 225gr, Woodleigh 250gr, Barnes XFB 200gr, Speer 158gr, Rem 158gr, Sierra 170gr FMJ ... should keep me busy awhile Big Grin Then there's the 300gr Woodleigh which I'll launch from the 358Win and mates 35Whelen for giggles.
Don't you just love summer!
Cheers...
Con

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, I will state that I have not shot anything larger than deer with any of my 35's. With that said, I have setteled on the 225 sierra for the 358 win, and the nosler 225 BT for my Whelen improved. If I ever get a chance to hunt larger game with either of these guns, I have loads worked up with nosler 225 partitions, and the 225gr barns X bullets. The new barns bullets with the 3-bands seem to want to shoot better than some of the X-bullets of the past, at least for me in the few guns I have tried them in. In the 358 win, I would try the partition if you want a tougher bullet than the sierra.

In North Dakota, winter sucks

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by naja302:
I have never shot anything with my 358 but I have a bunch of 200 grain hornady's loaded up. Probaby won't take it elk hunting, but not for lack of confidence.(not an opinion with anything to back it up though). I was just assuming that at 358 velocities how could anything be too soft. Any experience with extreme weight loss or lack of penetration with anything in the 358?
Hey naja302, Both 200gr Hornady bullets(RN and SP) are absolutely excellent. The 200gr Spire Point is my favorite and from actual "on-game experience" as opposed to squashing on an anvil, they are plenty Tough.

In fact, I'd recommend you ALWAYS shoot so the bullet Enters a shoulder, and if possible aligned so it will Exit through the off-side shoulder. If you take a Lung-to-Lung shot, you are typically in for a long tracking job, but the Deer, Hog or Black Bear will be dead at the end of the blood trail.

I use them in a 350RemMag, so in your 358Win at the slightly slower velocity, they will be even tougher.

Just so we are positive about the exact Hornady bullet, I'm talking about the 200gr Hornady SP #3510.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CON
i think we should team up and go and desecrate some sambar with our new rigs
daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote