Find
Notify
Tools

Moly Coating
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
What if any prep must you do to your bore to use moly coated bullets? A friend just gave me several hundered 30 caliber Nosler partition golds.

What if any advantage is there? Pro's/cons?

Thanks.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Lots of info at www.benchrest.com. Take a look at this thread, then use the search function there and look for "moly coating". You'll find numerous threads and links.

Here's a start:

Moly Thread @ benchrest.com

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest. I'll see what it says and keep your tumbler idea as a backup just in case, lol.

Why do you not like molly?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Z1R, I use two things, a Moly Grease and actual Moly Powder.

With the barrel pristine clean, I form a tight fitting "Paper Shop Towel" patch on a jag and pre-form it to the barrel. I do this by just getting it into the barrel and letting it conture itself to that size.

Then I remove the patched jag from the Bore and using my finger tip place a small bit of the Moly Grease all around the patch. Then "dust" some extra Moly Powder onto the Grease from a small Beeman Powdered Moly bottle.

Then stroke the Bore 20-25 times, remove the patched jag from the Bore, rotate the patch a bit and give it another 20-25 strokes.

The tightness of the Paper Patch helps burnish the Moly onto the full length of the Bore. A little Moly Powder goes a long way when applied properly because of it's physical structure.

I finish with one last clean patch to remove any excess grease by just pushing it completely through the Bore. You will develop a feel for how much Grease to put on the initial patch and this last wipe-down is primarily a SAFETY check in case the Bore was short-stroked and an excess amount of grease is near the muzzle.

I repeat this sequence after every cleaning.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Lyman Super Moly Bore Creame for barrel preparation.

I get a new barrel with no Copper.
I clean the barrel with Alchol.
I push a dry patch through.
Then I burnish the bore with moly with a patch or brush with 25 strokes until the moly is rubbed into the metal.

Then when the bore is dirty with moly, I shoot a moly coated bullet through as a fouling shot.

After 200 shots, the bore cleans like it had only one shot.

Don't get any on your good clothes.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I use Lyman Super Moly Bore Creame for barrel preparation.

I get a new barrel with no Copper.
I clean the barrel with Alchol.
I push a dry patch through.
Then I burnish the bore with moly with a patch or brush with 25 strokes until the moly is rubbed into the metal.

Then when the bore is dirty with moly, I shoot a moly coated bullet through as a fouling shot.

After 200 shots, the bore cleans like it had only one shot.

Then do you clean as normal and do this process over?

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Cale:
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:

Then do you clean as normal and do this process over?

I just put them through the laundry with the rest of my clothes.

But seriously folks, once I get a bore burnished with moly, I keep shooting hundreds of rounds with moly bullets and no cleaning and no fouling at 3,000 fps.

The bench rest guys clean every ~8 shots without moly and every ~13 shots with moly. But becuase I am only after varmint level accuracy and not benchrest, I don't clean at all once I get going.

About half the shooters who try moly like and other half are sorry they tried moly. From being there when a couple of my friends tried, I can tell you that if you do it wrong, you won't like it. Don't get moly on top of a Copper fouled bore. Burnish moly in a bore that is clean and has no Copper fouling. The moly only prevents Copper fouling, it does not remove it.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

Aut vincere aut mori