new barnes manual
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any body bought the new barnes manual.
It list 53-57 grains of rl-22 for a 140 xlc in 6.5-284
This is ALOT more powder than what I use for 140's
Any one?

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Barnes manual has a lot of mistakes in it. For safety sake you should reference the loads against another manual. I like their manuals but this one should of been proofed a little better.
Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to thier website, they got several corrections for you to print out. But I don't think they have any for 6.5.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The corrections to the first printing of the manual are posted on their web site at:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodmanual.php

From their web site:
Corrections
These are corrections that were made to the first printing of the reloading manual after the print date. These corrections are a direct replacement for the page number indicated. They are the exact size of the page they are intended to replace. You can print them off, cut them out, and tape or glue them into your reloading manual.
(see the web site for the links to the correctons)< !--color-->

It is my understanding that later printings of the manual included the corrections. After just a quick look (I may have missed it), I didn't see the 6.5-284 listed in the corrections.

I would be cautious when using the new Barnes data. They may not have yet caught all of the mistakes from the first printing of the manual.

Just my 2 cents...
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
are you refering to number 3 or is there a 4?

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Number 3 is the only one listed on their web site.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah

I found the same thing when working on new 300WSM loads. The first I tried was 64-69 gr Big Game (one of their recommended powders). Got hard bolt lift at 66 . Since that, I will start 2 grains under minimum and only go 2 over minimum. I have learned from other sources (personal & written) this is the case with Barnes Data. I first thought I might not have enough jump with the XLC's, but rechecking revealed .087 to .092 at max COL. I am still on the first XLC bullet and have not found an accurate load for it yet. I am leaning toward switching to the TSX instead. I had originally wanted to solve the copper problem by using the XLC, but I may be just beating a dead horse, because I got no copper from my "break in" jacketed loads. I also started loading some Sierra's of same weight with each powder charge as a check load and they are shooting great! Last test was 62.5 gr Big Game 150 XLC's & Sierra 150 HPBT. XLC's = 1.885 (5 shots) and Sierra's from cleaned barrel + 1 fouler (to remove all coating residue) = .580 (4 shots).

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote