New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Jarrett
 Login/Join

<Sgtdonf>
posted
Anyone have any experience with the 300 Jarrett? It is like a lot of the hot overbore 300s such as 300 Ackley, 308 Baer, 30 Goodling, 30 Spencer, ect... I am looking to use better brass than 8 mm Remington, and wondered if anyone had tried using 300 Weatherby for this purpose? I suspect the necks might be just a little short, but not sure if it is even a possibility. Any help would be appreciated, and any info on your experience with this cartridge is entertaining. Thanks!

<JOHAN>
posted
Hey

You can use 300 WBY cases and fire form them once. Mr Jarrett claims that this is not the way to go. I know people who had 300 Jarret rifles and used Wby cases. I would have bought a 300 Wby or 300 RUM instead, better aftermarket value, easier to find ammo, reloading dies and data.

<Mike from YU>
posted
I have a lot of experience with 300 Jarrett. This is ballistics twin of 300 Weatherby, but it is more accurate and efficient, probably because of short freebore.My Weatherby Mark V before converted in 300 Jarrett grouped in 1 MOA with best load: 200 grain Sierra, 80 grain MRP, Federal 215 primers. Velocity was about 3000 ft/s. Same rifle with 300 Jarrett barrel grouped 0.3 MOA with 200 grain Sierra,76 grain MRP, same primers and velocity is same. Three shot group, powder was from same can. I used fireformed Weatherby cases with no problem at all.

posted Hide Post
I'm also a 300 Jarrett user and think a lot of the cartridge. It is basically a 300Wby with square shoulder and better throat dimensions. I've never fireformed 300Wby brass so can't comment on how that works. I just do as Kenny suggested and run the 8mm Rem. brass through the re-sizer die. Fireforming blows out the shoulder, etc but I find that my sized brass does just as well accuracy wise and velocity wise.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Sgtdonf>
posted
Just wanted to add a little. I have used this round quite a bit and think it is one of the best things going in 30 Cal. It is far more accurate than any other factory loadings, and I find it efficient too. I have a gun with a heavy Hart Stainless cut at 271/2" and I get an honest 3350 FPS with a 180 Grain Barnes X boat tail shooting into 1/2 MOA for as far as you want to check it. Cant do much better than that for a hunting round. Just curious where everyone else starts cause I can pick any 300 Weatherby load and just go up from there. I find it is a good deal faster than a Weatherby though. Would love to hear pet loads and such. I just would like the option of using Norma, Laupa, or others who make better brass. No one said if the necks wind up short or not? I would bet, though I havent tried it, that I could probably fire normal 300 Weatherby rounds in it and it would work. Comments?

<Mike from YU>
posted
When fireformed Weatherby brass I got somewhat shorter cases ( about 71.7-71.8 mm).
If you use 8 Rem. Mag. brass, fireformed cases would be about 72.1 mm length. I think this is not significant difference. I mentioned my pet load, only for serious hunting 200 Nosler can be used. H-1000 and H-4831 might be good choice,and 300 Weatherby starting loads should be safe.
It is interesting to mention that 200 grain Noslers and Sierras are perfectly stabilized with 1:12 twist that is usually used in Jarrrett barrels.