Find
Notify
Tools

120 grn .257 Sierra HPBT GKs...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I traded for a box some time back and finally got around to loading a few. They did well at 100 Yards with a load of 55 grns IMR7828 pushing them at 3189 from the muzzle(25-06). I loaded up 20 more yesterday evening and intend on giving them a go at 200 yards tommorrow morn to see how the groups hold up.

Any of you have much experience with this bullet on game?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Tried them at 200 and it seems like they'll do quite fine. 1.5" at 200 is not bad for a sporter weight hunting rifle in a flimsy plastic stock.

Surely some of you have tried these on game?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I have taken two whitetails with them, one a rather large spike on a cull hunt, 200ish yards quartering away. Shot from a rolled up coat on the edge of a ground blind/box, so felt real good about getting a line to the off shoulder. Bullet entered just behind last rib, ripped through the off sholder going out. DRT

Second, a standard Ga doe, about 130 yards, broadside, rib going in, nickel sized exit, Bang flop also. As in your case, damn accurate for me. (cheap too...)

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken a number of deer with them and had great success. According to Sierra, their HPBT GameKings (except for the 85gr 243 and 90gr 257) are made "tougher" than their regular GameKings. I have also found them to be very accurate. IMO they are excellent bullets for deer in a 257AI or 25/06.

They may not suite your tastes, however, IIRC you like BTips and bullets that open easily.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fish30114 and olarmy!

Yes, Accurate and cheap. Should make a dandy small whitetail/antelope load. I'm putting in for WY 'lopes. Hopefully I'll get to try it on one. I'll probably take the rifle as a back-up and try to fill a doe tag.

Thanks again,

Reloader