New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm relatively new to reloading and so far only reload for my .300 WinMag and 9.3x74R DR. It's the 9.3 that's giving me fits and I think I need to chrono the loads (as many helpful posters have told me)

However, in looking at chronos I am at a loss at what to buy. I have never seen one, used one nor have I seen one in use. It appears to me that a remote readout would be helpful, even if not necessary.

Where is the chrono positioned with respect to the muzzle? In other words, at what distance is the reading taken?

Can anyone suggest a reasonably reliable chrono with remote at under $150?
I am not a high volume shooter and don't care about printouts or storing info on my PC.

Any general chrono advice would be appreciated.

Thank you very much

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I'm quite a regular visitor to the range and almost without exception every "hunter" at the range uses a Chrony. the only other chronograph set up I've seen in use was an elaborate affair used by a long range enthusiast with a 338LM for whom, judging by all the fancy gear he had, money didn't seem to be a problem.

Everyone else, my self included, who uses a Chrony seem to get good results consistent with expectations for the factory loads and reloads they all use.

Mine, which I've had for over 30 years, does not have a remote read out and this is a feature I would certainly pay for on a new Chrony. Set up 10 or 12 feet from the muzzle in open light and use the white plastic diffusers in sunlight. Use a quality battery and don't use near fluorescent lighting which seems to interfere with the electronics.These are good priced investments when reloading.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Chrony and Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph and prefer the CED Pro model #13800. It works in lower light and has the option of adding infrared for even lower light.I now own the CED and if I shoot the chrono again I would replace with the same model. Shooting any chronograph destroys it.I know!

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
RCBS makes one for around $100-125 and it looks like a huge cartridge. My older one was dropped and didn't bounce very well. The RCBS one is working just fine with some neat features on it that might be what you are looking for.

Look them up on the Web.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Shooting Chrony - affordable and reliable. The user manual is a pain to read as it is far too technical.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11201 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I've owned three different Chronies and now own an Oelher. Big difference in performance and price.Hopefully I'll never have to go back to the remote Chrony. I have no first hand experience on anything in between but the Chronies were a big disappointment to me. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go, $105:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/ca...oduct/productId/2452

You hear guys complaining about the chrony's all the time, you almost never hear any complaints about the prochrono digital. I and a couple of friends have them and they work great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
Where is the chrono positioned with respect to the muzzle? In other words, at what distance is the reading taken?

15 feet is pretty much standard. If you get closer the gasses exiting the muzzle can be seen by the "eyes" of the chronograph and cause false readings. If you're really nitpicky about the real muzzle velocity then you can add 1 fps for every foot the chronograph is from your muzzle. All modern centerfire rifle ammunition decelerates at roughly 1 fps per foot. If you set the chronograph up 15' from the muzzle then add 15 fps to your reading to get the true muzzle velocity.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
any is better than none.. the chorny with remote is a great one.. donT waste your time on the one with the onboard electronics

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The user manual is a pain to read as it is far too technical.

Did you know the technical team at Shooting Chrony are all from India?

I agree it is hard to read, but far from being 'too technical'....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
Here you go, $105:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/ca...oduct/productId/2452

You hear guys complaining about the chrony's all the time, you almost never hear any complaints about the prochrono digital. I and a couple of friends have them and they work great.

This is the same model I have, with zero problems thus far.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to draw outrage like a cake at a picnic draws ants.

1--If you shoot at various ranges and need to know where the bullet is at any particular point in the trajectory, a chronograph can be a help. BUT
a- If you use branded components--there are very accurate tables now available from the manufacturers, or through the use of computer programs such as the Quickload suite.
1a- these tables are probably more accurate than what you can get yourself with a consumer grade chronograph of any brand because:
A-they were developed by folks who shot many hundreds of bullets downrange--many more than the vast majority of us can afford to shoot.
1a--ask a mathematician, actuarian or statistician about standard deviation sometime and you will quickly learn that large, LARGE samples are needed to use this statistic as a predictor. large = more than 10 LARGE = more than 100.
B-they were shot under conditions known and recorded--i.e. we know the temp, humidity etc etc and averaged it.
C- they used a blast screen that virtually eliminates errors due to hot gasses which precede the bullet from the barrel and errors due to the flash of excess powder being ignited outside the barrel.

Still, it can be an interesting hobby, chronyism, and it will keep you at the range longer, thus keeping you out of trouble if you are single, and buying one helps the economy.

I have had 3. The first--one of Ken Oheler's old ones and thus the best since no-one can now get one and prove differently (see the subject unobtainium) and a couple of Chronys. MY Oheler was lent to a friend who shot it and the model was no longer made so he bought me a new Chrony. I have to admit that I could not say that the extra $$$$ for the Oheler were money well spent except that mine had a display that I could use on the bench and the Chrony did not. I later bought a "master" version of the Shooting Chrony that had a remote display usable on the bench and a computer interface and ballistics program that I found useful back then, since I was using some pretty exotic components.

Some other chrony info. Be polite and don't take an hour and a half setting the thing up while the rest of the firing line stands around picking their noses. On heavily overcast days, you don't need the sky screens, or whatever your brand of chrony calls the diffusers. Keep the sensors clean. A laser boresighter can help you quickly and accurately set up a chrony by showing you exactly where the bullet will pass through the sensors. Don't expect your results to exactly match the data of your fav loading manual--look for a relative difference between loads. Remember that whatever target you are shooting at does not feel or care about the difference of +/-100 fps.

The spellchecker really had fun with this one.....

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
any is better than none.. the chorny with remote is a great one.. donT waste your time on the one with the onboard electronics

Roll EyesJeff did you ever own "the chrony with remote"? This one was the worst of the three I owned. thumbdown

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roger,
i've owned pact, pro, and chrony ... and used several oehler .. several chronies.. i've shot mine.. will again..

in fact, i've shot over 3 inline, to see results... what i recall is there are all the same tech, and about all the same results...

what do i use today? shooting chrony with remote. least hassle of most

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chrony with remote readout works great. Never had a problem.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2Lucky guy! homerroger

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I set mine up 8-10 feet from the muzzle and have been shooting over the same set of sky screens since the mid 80's.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Roll EyesJeff did you ever own "the chrony with remote"? This one was the worst of the three I owned. thumbdown

I have a Gamma Master that has been utterly reliable over the past two years, though the Chrony to PC programme is utterly useless, as it has consistently failed to work with three OS.
One modification I did make was to follow advice & replace the metal sky screen supports with wooden dowels in case of errant shots.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in my experience, other than shooting them, when i have trouble with chronies, replacing the battery usually fixes them

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I set mine up 8-10 feet from the muzzle and have been shooting over the same set of sky screens since the mid 80's.

popcornFrank, the last problem I had with the remote reading chrony was some really wild readings at 10 feet. When I talked to the gentleman in India he said it was not totally uncommon, I was reading powder smoke and should use a 15' cable. I asked him to supply one and he said I would have to make it myself. This was the last of a bunch of irratating problems. Bought the Oehler. I'm glad that some of you are getting good performance and service from Chrony; I did not. horseroger

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Or better lighting conditions

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
quote:
The user manual is a pain to read as it is far too technical.

Did you know the technical team at Shooting Chrony are all from India?

I agree it is hard to read, but far from being 'too technical'....

Ha, Ha....I bet they are not shooters....just some smart mathematicians and engineers....well...it is too technical for me as I always struggled with algebra and all those crazy symbols! rotflmo

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11201 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Any general chrono advice would be appreciated. ..
I used them for maybe 20yrs. Found out they were pretty much a total waste of time and money. They provide you with nothing that you can't "guesstimate", except less $$$money$$$. thumbdown

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe. But I'm working up loads for a DR and am getting some erratic results and it would help me a lot know how consistent my loads are. In a DR small differences in velocity make a big difference.

I appreciate all this advice - fortunately I shoot at a range that's almost always empty in the morning so I can futz with setting up stuff.

What's the purpose of a "skyscreen"?

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the purpose of a "skyscreen"?

That's a common term for the optical detectors used to 'see' bullet passage.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
I run an Oehler 35 myself. A bit more involved to get set up, but rock solid performance.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
...Any general chrono advice would be appreciated. ..
I used them for maybe 20yrs. Found out they were pretty much a total waste of time and money. They provide you with nothing that you can't "guesstimate", except less $$$money$$$. thumbdown

Your kidding, right? Eeker

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my CED Mellenium. I've used it since I first became aware of it some 12 - 15 years ago.

It's easy to use, well built and it has a great display.

JFWIW.