Find
Notify
Tools

280 vs. Elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted
I have just loaded up some .280 Remington shells for a guy whom is going to Az. to hunt elk. I loaded him up 160Nosler Accubonds over 55.0 gr of 7828. Which shot exceptionally well. About .6 to .75 moa. BUt he is getting a little apprehensive now and he woorries that it will not be enough. I have tried to reassure him about the accubonds. Am I correct that that load should be sufficent?
Neither of us have been out there, I have only gone on what I have heard.

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Nosler Number 4 that is a minimum load for the .280 at about 2742 fps. But is does show as the most accurate load for that powder. The Max is at 59.0 with a mv of 2936. It should be ok I just wouldn't be going for anything real long distance. It's late in the game to be changing horses now. Worry about a different load next year. Accuracy is going to buy you more than missing faster.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you keep your shots inside 400 yds, that 280 is all he will ever need. Focus on bullet placement and accuracy.

Accuracy kills. Magnum velocities impress friends and forums.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My wife has killed two elk with her 7x57. First with the 140 second the 160. The 160 at 7x57 velocity was plenty.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I love my .280 & it is my backup rifle for elk trips. I use the 160gr NP @ 2850fps. Your load is closer to 2750fps & the NAB will expand a bit more & penetrate a bit less but still enough w/ carefull shot placement. I wouldn't be trying a 400yd shot w/ a .280 but stay under 300yds & it's enough.
BTW< my load is 57gr IMR7828, Norma or RP cases & Fed210M. It hits 2850fps from my ft.wt. 23" bbl. & on good days it stays well under 1moa.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The first elk I ever killed in AZ was in the Sitgreaves Nat'l. Forest (Unit 6-A if I recall correctly). He was a nice (score well over 300) typical 6-pointer. Fell dead as a mackeral to one shot. The round? Well, it was fired from a .300 Wby re-chambered M-70 pre-war Winchester, BUT....

Had tried a new load (for me) with 180 gr. Noslers and a not to be named amount of TCC-4350 powder. Didn't have time to chrono it before leaving for the hunt. My old loads were all at about 3,200 fps with a LOT (big heap) of original 4831. So, figured the amount used of this 4350 powder was giving me about 3,000 fps.

WRONG!! When finally chrono'd about 3 mos. after elk season, it was moving the bullet at almost exactly factory .30-06 velocities....like 2,760 fps. Still killed that elk deader than Sn-t. One round in through the boiler room and out the other shoulder at about 200 yards.

Tell your friend not to worry about it. Just stick the bullet where it belongs and his .280 will work just fine.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'd quit worrying about the bullet, and start worrying about a good knife sharpener. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
BUt he is getting a little apprehensive now and he woorries that it will not be enough. I have tried to reassure him about the accubonds. Am I correct that that load should be sufficent?

Croberts,

Reassure him his set-up is fine.

I just returned from my CO hunt and had great results from the 160 ABs.

I shot my Bull twice at 325 yards w/ the 160 ABs and once up close(He was still gasping alittle). The impact velocities at 325 were around 2480. The first bullet hit a rib, went through the lungs, hit another rib, and left a exit about 1.5". The second bullet went through the bulls shoulder and backbone, it came to rest in the bottom of the offside back strap.

If he keeps his range less than 300 yards he should be in great shape. Even at 300 he'd have around 2300 fps at impact. That'd be more than sticking a 30-30 in his side a pulling the trigger!

Tell him he'll be fine w/ his load he just needs to put it in the right spot.

These 160 ABs shoot flat for sure. I was sighted in at 250 here at home before I left and I hit that bull both times right where I wanted to at 325.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using the .280 Rem with 150 gr NP's at 3050 fps for a dozen years now. Tried the 140's, 160's and the 175's but settled on the 150's as they were sort of in the "middle" so to speak.

As previously stated it ALL boils down to PLACEMENT. We tend to overthink things here, especially all the debate over BULLETS. I'm not saying used the cheapest/softest slugs but any of the good bullets will work fine.

I've killed several elk in the 300-350 yd range with zero drama. Killed a big cow just last week at 326 yds. One shot...and flop she's over.

Placement....Placement.....PLACEMENT !!

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Croberts:
I have just loaded up some .280 Remington shells for a guy whom is going to Az. to hunt elk. I loaded him up 160Nosler Accubonds over 55.0 gr of 7828. Which shot exceptionally well. About .6 to .75 moa. BUt he is getting a little apprehensive now and he woorries that it will not be enough. I have tried to reassure him about the accubonds. Am I correct that that load should be sufficent?
Neither of us have been out there, I have only gone on what I have heard.

Is a 160-grain, 284" Accubond at 2700 FPS an adequate round for killing elk? Yes. Just put it in the right spot. Of course, ALL rounds must hiot the rightr spot to kill a big, tough elk!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote