Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 Bullet Selection
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
I'm about ready to start loading for my Marlin 1895 and am looking for some bullet opinions.

I'll have two different hunting needs:

#1 - up to 200 yard range on deer or elk, so I'm looking for good ballistic coefficient for this round.

#2 - up to 100 yards on wild hogs. This round could be lesser on the ballistics, but toughness is more important.

Or, if you have an option that would fit both needs please let me know.

Also, is there a "classic" go-to powder for the 45/70 like, say, RL-22 is to the 300 win?

Thanks!

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I have 2 that should fill both

1 is the 400 gr FN Barns Original , I have used it on deer ...Way over kill BOOM
2 is the Nosler 300 gr Partition

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should probably stay with the 300-350gr area bullets. Hornady makes some good 350s. I personally cast mine for the grand old caliber, but to each his own. Powders for it would be Re 7, IMR3031,AA2230 or AA2460,and IMR 4198. I'm sure there are other favs that will be listed by others. I use AA 2230C under the Gould hollowpoint mold by Lyman. No is 457122. Casts out at 340gr with aircooled wheel weights. Kills Missouri whitetails stone dead right now. Enjoy your project. One of my fav calibers.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the cast bullet option. I use wheelweights to cast 300 gr. flatnose bullets from an RCBS mould. Out of my Siamese mauser it is deadly on whitetails.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry too much about BC on a 200yd max. round. The Hornady 350grSP will fill the need close or far.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I wouldn't worry too much about BC on a 200yd max. round. The Hornady 350grSP will fill the need close or far.

Those sure seem to be an economical choice at about 40cents each. Do you use the flat point or round nose variety?

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
One bullet will do nicely. The 300 grain Nosler Partition. I am getting 2160 fps with my load, and it has proven more than enough. cheers

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 350gr FP is the way to go. Before they made them I used to just flatten the tip of the 350grRN w/ a file.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the 300 gr Nosler Partition or the 350 gr Hornady to see which your rifle likes best. As for powder I've had good luck with IMR3031, IMR4198, and RL7. As the others have mentioned be sure to give a ~400 gr LBT-pattern a try too, at least for your hog loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer and pigs I have used the Hornady 350 RN, If I was going to hunt elk with a 45/70 I would use the North Fork 350gr.

The North Fork just may be the best bullet for the 45/70.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
.458" 350 grain North Fork FP for everything.
H4198

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, fellas. The opinions range as wide as the marketplace. A couple of backyard bullet casters chimed in, but I haven't heard any recommendations about commercial cast bullets like Cast Performance or Meisters. They appear to be relatively economical at 20 to 40 cents/each compared to $1.00 or so for Partitions or Northforks. Has anyone purchased cast bullets and have any performance information?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iffin I was to buy it would prob be Leadheads or cast performance. I just enjoy casting so much I won't go any other way. Google Cast Boolits and learn all about it.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong either with the bulk 405g Remingtons from Midway at 12 cents a pop. 47g of IMR 4198 will do ya fine.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast Bullet Users Are you using a Gas Check, a Paper Disk, Felt Wad or anything between the Powder and Bullet?

If not, how do you control the Lead from melting on the Base?

Not trying to set anyone up. I have a similar situation to Slatts with a 444Mar that I want to shoot Lead in.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
The 350gr FP is the way to go. Before they made them I used to just flatten the tip of the 350grRN w/ a file.

I just picked up a box of the Hornady 350gr Interlock FPs. I also picked up some IMR3031 to put behind it. It was either that or RL-7, but 3031 just seemed to be a more classic choice (per Ken Waters).

Now, I just noticed that my Hornady manual pre-dates the 350 gr FP. Does anyone have the book min/max grains, for the 350gr FPs and IMR3031?

Thanks,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slatts, my Hornady manual is no 5. Still relevant on this load. For Marlin data they have 350gr bullet with 3031 starting at 45.2gr and maxing at 56.1gr. 1400-1900fps. Hotcore, I load my cast in 45/70 up to 1500fps. Nice easy load that does fine in my guide gun and Handi rifle in the kind of hunting I use them for. No leading and accurate. Just make sure your bullet fits your tube. Mine are just air cooled so not that hard.