New
Find
Notify
Tools

308win in rem700 5r mil spec, tumbling
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Only the second time I've had the rifle out, first time was just for break-in. I was shooting 175smks over Varget with a cci br primer and federal commercial brass. Started at 40.0 gr, tumbled. Moved up to 42.0, tumble. Then I have a few 43.0 Varget in LC73 brass left over from a load for my m1a that is didn't like, tumble. I was getting mad, so I pulled out a box of fed gmm 168 grain that I had, and THAT tumbled. Barrel is an 11.25 twist. Remington cuts the rifling in the same as they do in the m24, designed for the m118 special ball, 172gr fmjbt.

Is is likely to resolve loading hotter than 43.0 in lc? Should I just give up and go to the 155s?

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you say tumbling do you mean the bullets are hitting sideways at 100 yards?

If a 308 does not shoot good with Federal factory 168 Match i would think something is wrong with the rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
There is something way wrong with this rifle. Either the barrel is not what you think it is (308) or the twist is all wrong...

There is rifling in the barrel CORRECT???

Have you done the tight patch spin trick to verify twist rate?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check the twist with a patch, had not done that. Barrel has about 60-70 rounds through it. I was told at the range to get the muzzle crown checked, looks like it's time to call the gunsmith Confused

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
michael, this is NOT right! Cease fire and return to producer.

If you bought it new from Remington, I'd call them first.

If you bought this from some joker at a gunshow who claimed he put a 5R barrel on it...... you're fugged! Unless you can grab him by the sling and swivel!

Good luck!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
keyholing, is what i believe you mean to say ... that the bullets are hitting sideways...

the barrel is probably out of spec.. return to remmington

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle was brand new, came from a shop in OK, had it transfered here. It does have rifling. Came in a remington box, usual packaging with the tags hanging off the trigger gaurd and all. Label on the end shows it's a 5r mil spec.

one of us
posted Hide Post
send it back. and make them figure it out..

Posts: 1136 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's not right send it back to the shop.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
How long have you owned it?

When you shot it before did it do same?

Forget the gunshop if it's the gun send it to the factory.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contact Remington direct.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a bummer. Thanks for the help everyone.