New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Varmint Grenade
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents just picked up a box of these new 36 grain bullets in .224 and I thought that there would have been some loading data inside but there ain't. I hoping to find a load for my new A-Bolt in .22 Hornet? So if some of you have some information regarding this bullet, I'd certainly like to hear it. The new gun is a 1 in 16 twist.
2nd, do we know what powder Hornady uses in the factory 35 grain VMax, Thanks Fasteel

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed Barnes for load data on this bullet, and they said to use data for 40 grain bullets and start at the minimum or use data for 50 grain moly coated bullets and start at the minimum.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is what I reeived from Barnes
Hi Greg

These new Varmint Grenade bullets have a highly frangible copper/ tin core
that was developed for military applications. Their scored jacket design and
no velocity limit make them a great choice for varmint hunting.
At this time we don't have load data for the 36gr Varmint Grenade bullets.
We are recommending the use of our 50gr VLC load data or your favorite 40gr
uncoated data from other manuals/ manufacturers.

Thanks, Ty

We Aim to please, reloading is a great hobby, enjoy it.

Ty Herring
Barnes Bullets
Customer Service Director
P.O. Box 215
American Fork
Utah 84003
Tel 801-756-4222
1-800-574-9200
Fax 801-756-4222
Email: email@barnesbullets.com
http://www.barnesbullets.com <http://www.barnesbullets.com/>

Posts: 24 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey guys, i picked up some of the v/g's a couple of weeks ago,called barnes & talked w/ ty,he gave me all the load data they have availible. although it won't be published until 2008. but if you call barnes they'll give you the data you need..loaded a few in 22-250,ty said the max load is 40.5gr with varget. wow what a smoker,this load appeared to be alittle hot,as the bolt had to be hammered up & back with the palm of my hand. but it shot too damned good & backed off in .5gr increments the groups spread out,the max load produced a hole measuring .156" with three shots measured outside to outside. called ty back about the bolt sticking,he said maybe try shoving the bullet back in about .010",well i shoved it back .021" cured the bolt sticking but haven't shot at paper yet. pissers