Find
Notify
Tools

.250-3000 + new breed of cat.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
thumb The long throated .250-3000 Shaw barrel mounted on the Stevens Mod. 200 allows the longer bullets to be seated out to almost 2.800" cartridge overall length. The magazine length is the determining factor.The accepted OAL is only 2.515.

With this bolt action configuration this fine old case can be made to handle the heavier bullets at a whole new higher level.

Raining today screwed up our range outing. Maybe Fri. results will be posted. BOOM leftyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

you are starting to sound like Seafire and that longer throat, and longer bullet seating... actually moves a cartridge up a whole level!

I am really interested in your results on that project... I have always thought the 250 savage was one very efficient little cartridge....

And I have to admit, I have never seen the appeal of the 25/06 when you can have a 257 Roberts in a long action...I really think your 250 Savage is going to turn in some impressive numbers...

After seeing that Stevens with the heavy 308 barrel on it yesterday at the range.... my little mental gears have been turning on the same thing but chambered in a 250 Savage for a varmint rifle!

Keep me posted of your results!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am curious as well, I have been wanting to build a 250 Savage in a mountain rifle type configuration for a whitetail rifle.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Roger,

you are starting to sound like Seafire and that longer throat, and longer bullet seating... actually moves a cartridge up a whole level!!

Been doing that for over 40 years with some of my wildcats, John. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected Roger...

then Seafire is starting to sound like Roger! thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkToday was the baptism of the tough nut Stevens mod. 200 Deep throat 250-3000.
[LIST]Results
  • The head spaced proved out just great.
  • Recoil on all loads was mellow.
  • 90gr hp. dubvious manufacture,[All the Midway boxes say Game King Bullets 25 cal. 90gr. HPBT. Non of my 1000 are Boat Tails.] 39.7gr. DP86 powder, WW cases, WLR primers, OAL=2.628"----2530 to 2610fps. 3 shot 2" group 200yds.
  • 110gr. Berger HPFP. 38.8gr. DP 86 lightly compressed, WW cases, 215 primers, OAL=2.760". ----2596 to 2652 fps.clean, a "little" primer flattening. 3 shot 3/4" group, with 2 different shooters.
  • 120gr. spbt. Speer, 39.5gr. DP86 compressed WW cases, WlR primers, OAL=2.755", 2521 to 2600 fps. Mild, 3 shot 3" group at 100 yds. 5 shot 5" group at 300yds.?

This again is the first time bullets have been put through this Shaw barrel.

The rewoked Stevens trigger is down to less than 3 pounds with almost zero creep.

What a joy. dancingroger

•  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Roger,
    I'll take those defective 90g Sierras off your hands. My Savage 25-06 (formerly 270) loves them with IMR 4064. I have abou 20 left. I should have bought all they had.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bja105:
    Roger,
    I'll take those defective 90g Sierras off your hands. My Savage 25-06 (formerly 270) loves them with IMR 4064. I have abou 20 left. I should have bought all they had.

ConfusedI'm not all sure that they are Sierra's bewildered roger