New
Find
Notify
Tools

GS Custom Bullets in my .30/.338
 Login/Join

<Phil R>
posted
I'm working up loads for my .30/.338 for an October deer/elk hunt and so far I've settled on 72gr. IMR4350 w/ Fed 215 primers, Winchester .338 brass necked up and Gerard's 160gr. HV bullets. I'm getting 3,200 fps and 1.25" groups. Considering that my rifle has a lightweight sporter barrel profile and weighs only 7lbs 6oz. including a 2.5x8 Leupold,I'm not expecting benchrest accuracy. I'm going to try one more load using 75gr. H4831 in the limited time left before the hunt. Gerard, if you're listening in, I'm seating the bullets to an oal of 3.3" with two of the bullet "rings" in the case neck and three showing. It doesn't take much effort to seat these bullets. Will they slip under recoil? The IMR4350 load just about fills the case under the bullet, and 75gr of H4831 compacts nicely when the bullet is seated. Sure are speedy little rascals with no pressure signs!

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
Turn a couple of thousands off your expander button, in a drill press with a file and then polish with 220 against the file...This is always a good idea with heavy recoiling calibers, works better than crimping IMHO.

The faster you drive thoes GS bullets the better they group and the better they kill..They are darn fine bullets...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Ray,
Thanks for the tip! If the slightly compacted powder doesn't keep the bullet in place, I'll give it a try.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI