New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Trimmers
 Login/Join

posted
Ladies & Gents,
Looking for input on what case trimmer to buy, will be used mostly for 223 & 308 fired from an AR. will be loading in quanity so I'm leaning towards a electric.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the Dillon Rapid Trim 1200B, which is an interesting device that sizes and trims in one step. I haven't used it but have been wondering about it for a while. Would be efficient.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
Here's a link to the Dillon Rapid Trim 1200B, which is an interesting device that sizes and trims in one step. I haven't used it but have been wondering about it for a while. Would be efficient.

WOW! Complicated and expensive.

LWD

posted Hide Post
Yea, the Dillon trimmer is not just expensive but damn expensive, I'm kinda partial to my wife and dog,but I wonder if Dillon will take either in a trade ?.
Just hate the thought of trimming 500-1000 cases by hand, thats why I was asking for input on electric trimmers.
Well whats another $316.85 compared to what I've invested already, Damn I thought I was saving money when I started this

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Gracey power trimmer. Also the Giraud. Both are good trimmers. Both trim champher and deburr in one operation. Below are links to the manufactures web sites.

http://www.matchprep.com

http://www.giraudtool.com

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Jerry, RCBS makes a power trimmer, that I use and enjoy. I also use the Dillon Rapid Trim, but you still have to chamfer the case mouths after trimming. With the RCBS, all three steps to trimming a case, trim, chamfer, and de burr are all done in one step. You can check it out on Midway or go to RCBS.com.

Best of Luck.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the lyman has an adapter for an electric drill, and works well, plus you don't need a bunch of shellholders

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got one thing to say about the Dillon Rapid Trim, WOW! If I were loading 5000 rounds a day I wouldn't think twice about buying it. It's an impressive piece of engineering. But I load 100-200 rounds at a time (and I'm a cheap SOB) The Lee Case trimmer coupled with an electric drill, a bench vice and one of those footswitch extension cords makes for a cheap effective and convenient way to trim cases.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jerry Eden,
After looking at the RCBS it's just as expensive as the Dillon, however it is definitly an item I'm considering. It's a shame the Dillon 1200B does not chamfer as it would be nice to set it up on the tool head and just get on with the dour deeds of trigger pulling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JerryE I started reloading so I could afford to shoot more, now I find myself shooting more so I have components to reload more. I have found reloading to be such a enjoyable and rewarding hobby I enjoy doing it for it's own sake.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a Forster for years. I made an adapter for my B&D cheap electric screwdriver when I got the AR and have used it on many cases since. Not as delux as the purpose built electrics bur much cheaper and just about as fast.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:

LWD

It's quite a cool set up! Vacuum cleaner hookup..... resizes and trims in one operation.

A bit difficult to adjust precise headspace and OAL without trial and error. But once you're locked on ...... you can process cases as fast as you can crank the handle.

Be advised you'll still have to run a neck expander and depriming tool through the case before reloading (plus deburring & outside chamfering).

I have the Dillon Rapid trim with .223 & .308 sizing dies.

Worth the price?!!! That depends on what your time is worth!! Wink

I like them for high volume initial processing of military brass (which used to be cheap).

For general use the Lee drill chuck trimmers are great!

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote