Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying New Chronograph
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking to buy my first chronograph and would like some help in getting the best one I can for my money. Feature wise, reliabilty ease of operation and accuracy.

Posts: 8 | Location: Northern Wisconsin | Registered: 02 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi shortstuf,
I just ordred my third chrono, so maybe I can be helpful. Hope so. My first, a Chrony, got shot. (No, I will not tell you.) I gave it to a friend, who sent it to Chrony, who sent him a new one. That was ten years ago. He still uses it.

I next bought a Pro-Chrono. Works fine except when it doesn't. It sometimes "hangs up", and has to be re-set. It is self-contained, no wire. I usually shoot on a supervised range, so must wait for cease fire. Very diseconomic and irritating.

So I decided to buy the standard of the industry, an Oehler 35, only to discover that they are discontinued, are $500 on ebay. So I ordered a CED from Shooter's Supply, Russ Haydon, 253-857-7557. Russ knows his stuff, very helpful. Same price as on line.

Bottom line, if you shoot on an informal range, get a cheapie. If a supervised range, or if you are getting pretty serious, get a CED or Pro-Chrono WITH a wire, and mayber infra red.
Good luck

Now there are two important featuers. The first is that there is a wire control to the bench, so you can reset. The second is that I ordered the infra red screens, that will work even in the dark. No shots missed, or so they say. That's about $90 extra.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go see the posts on 2 Dec.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
first chrony?
get a shooting chrony, with remote.
cheap, fast, reliable....

and ALL of them, from shooting chrony to oehler, are 0.5% error

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the cheapest Shooting Chrony you can find.

I just shot one Friday.

Now I am going to order two of them this time.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys.

Posts: 8 | Location: Northern Wisconsin | Registered: 02 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Chrony web site and look at there refurb for 50 bucks. Hard to beat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the refurb Chronys. They will take your shot up one in trade as well. I won't say how I know that. The world consists of those who have shot their chronographs, and those who will.
Good Luck

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
Ditto on the refurb Chronys. They will take your shot up one in trade as well. I won't say how I know that. The world consists of those who have shot their chronographs, and those who will.
Good Luck

one more group...

those who have an are lying about it!
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 05 December 2006 01:34
I am looking to buy my first chronograph and would like some help in getting the best one I can for my money. Feature wise, reliabilty ease of operation and accuracy.

Hands Down the Pro Chrono. As far as cheap chronos go I like them much more than my Chrony chrono.

Check out ebay, there was an outfit there not long ago selling Pro Chronos for 75.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just so every one is happy, I shot mine with an accelarator sabot the first trip out. Had the model w remote screen and did not hurt it much but I got a good brand on it now!!!!!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The downside of shooting chronies is they won't reliably pickup readings with the sun low in the sky. For those of us at far latitudes, that means mid-day sun in the winter.

Asside from that, a refurbed shooting chrony is a great tool, easy to setup, and cheap enough that you won't be too sad when you shoot it.

Just remmeber the bullet exits the barrel below your sights! animal

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
Why do you like the Pro Chrono?

I will order one before you answer, but answer me anywaySmiler

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader,
Why do you like the Pro Chrono?

Let me compare the two chronos I have personally.

One being the Shooting Chrony, The other the Pro Chrono.

The things I don't like about the SC:

1)The thing is like a puzzle Big Grin There's pieces everywhere. Loose one and your out of business. I believe it has about eleven pieces.
2)I get Error readings all of the time which is just ridiculous when you are doing load development.
3)You have to buy another piece of equipment(Yep making for 12 pieces to keep up with) just to get the different functions to read like shot strings, SD, etc.
4)It gives readings way off the chart sometimes when shooting, I've gotten readings that would have blown a rifle to pieces but yet showed no pressure signs and then the next rounds were fine.

The Pro Chrono(Reasons I like it):
1)5 pieces and much easier to put together.
2)I never get error readings.
3)All of the function buttons are very user friendly and right on the front by the screen.
4)It is very accurate as far as not having a shot way off the chart every once in a while like the SC.
5) Did I mention it only had 5 pieces Big Grin
6) Did I also mention it didn't give me error readings all of the time Big Grin

When you are talking low priced chronos, Pro Chrono is on top of the heap IMO.

Good Luck w/ your new toy.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
Thanks for posting that.
I ordered one $90 at Graf

I have shot a hole through the Shooting Chronys about every 3 years, so I did not want to spend much $. This is becuase, with a handgun, I am a piss-poor-shot.

But I could see room for improvment as the SC does not like my .177 pellet gun and does not like my .223 to go over 4200 fps [I can get no readings with 33 gr & H110].

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One problem I have had with the Chrony; If you are too close muzzle blast will affect the reading. To check for this back off another 10 feet and look for differences. The chrony will respond to .17 cal if the sun cant reflect off the bullet. Turn the Chrony on it's side and try again. (make sure the sky screens are illuminated.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote