New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 fast twist and starting loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First off I could use some reloading data for a 22-250 with a 8 twist barrel and heavy bullets.(toddbarrie@yahoo.com) Currently I use the Sierra manual and have to guess how much powder to use for a starting load. For example they have a load for 69 and 80 gr. bullets but what to do for 75 and 77's? Also, I would like to use powder i have on hand but many times they arent listed. I find things that are close on the burn rate charts but it just dosent seem as safe as seeing it in print first. What do guys do when they build a crazy rifle that offers no reloading data?

One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Hot Core and Seafire where are you? tell him about extrapolateing and gas pressures. I'm familiar with them but can't give a sceintific enough answer even though I've done it.

I don't like getting other people in trouble. I have a 22-250 ai with a 1 in 9 barrel but all I have loaded for is 70 and 80 grainers. Thats all I wanted for it and had established loads for it thanks to sierrra.

So, help this guy out.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well thats a place to start. Sounds like I'll have to do some research on gas pressure and extrapolation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best source for info is Steve Riccardelli's excellent site...

However if you want to cut to the chase.. after a lot of testing, I will verify from some source, which I can't remember where, but they certainly were right in my 22.250 with the one in 8 twist....

With any bullet weight from 68 thru 80... 33.5 grains of IMR 4064.. with a large rifle primer...I tried about 12 powders with everything from 68 to the 80 grainers and nothing came close to IMR 4064 and that charge weight... Varget does get honorable mention as does IMR 4895...

Velocity was pretty fair in each bullet weight, but I was looking for accuracy first...especially spending money on match bullets...

Good luck..

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22.250 Addendum:

I dug out my info on this from Steve's site... and this is what I tested....

I took 5 shots groups, with 2 loads each, from the lowest to the highest charges.. with two grains intervals...

which translates to this:

H 335: 27 grains, 29 grains, 31 grains...

Hodgdon Powders:

H 335: 27 to 31 grs
H 380: 33 to 37 grs
H 414: 31 to 39 grs
H 4350: 34 to 36 grs
H 4831 SC: 35 to 39 grs
Varget: 29.5 to 33.5grs

IMR powders:
3031: 28 to 32 grs
4064: 29 to 33.5 grs
4320: 29 to 35 grs
4350: 33 to 38 grs
4831: 35 to 39 grs
4895: 28 to 32 grs

Reloader Powders
RL 15: 30 to 32.5grs
RL 19: 35.5 to 37.5 grs

Winchester 748 ( which is identical if not the same powder as BLC 2): 29.5 grs to 33.5 grs..

IN all bullet weights, all were acceptable...

I tried H 4985 and as usual, its accuracy was non existant..

Loads were tested with
1. Hornady 68 gr HP Match,
2. Sierra 69gr HP/Match,
3. 75 Grain Hornady A Max,
4. 75 Grain Hornady HP,
5. 77 grain Sierra HP/Match,
6. Nosler 80 grain HP Match,
7. Sierra 80 grain HP/Match.....

I haven't tried the new Hornady 80 grain A Max.. but am looking forward to... after Christmas financial crunch, I was looking to order 500 or so...

The test rifle was a Ruger 77 Mk 2, with a 24 inch heavy magnum contoured stainless steel barrel from PacNor, 1 in 8 twist.. with a Boyd's grey laminate stock....

Special thanks to Steve Riccardelli for all the fine useful information he shares with all the follow shooters! dancing

The handsdown winner in my rifle, with all bullets was 33.5 grains of IMR 4064...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Seafire

Thanks for all the info. Back when Hector was still a puppy I read in a Ballistics book when expeimenting with a new bullet to figure the weight of the previous bullet and for each 5 grains of the new to reduce the powder charge by 1 1/2 grains and start development on the new load. It worked for me, but I never passed that info to anyone else.

As near as I can recall the info came from either Bob Forker, Hutton or the former owner of Guns and Ammo magazine. This was in the 60's, 70's time frame. Might have even been Ackley when he was penning for them.

I haven't tried the Noslers yet in my rifle how'd they shoot for you?

Again thanks for jumping in. And my apologies to Steve, I forgot all about his great site.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! Thanks that gives me somethings to play with. My buddy with a 225win 8 twist swears by H4060 and tried that today with 69gr sierras. they make the most beautyful little clover leafsSmiler Again thanks guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops...4064

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
does any one have a velocity range of a 75 amax shot out of a fast twist 22-250, I am wondering how fast you could launch a 75 out of a 24" barrel

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cummins,

if I am not mistaken, I was thinking in the 3250 range at max....

The 22.250 actually gains very little over the 223 with the 75 and 80 grain bullets....

If you go to a Swift case, or a 22.243 family or a 224 TTHunter..... you get faster velocities and faster throat erosion....

the 22/250 case is about the most you can push it before you dimishing returns skyrocket!

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Cummins,

if I am not mistaken, I was thinking in the 3250 range at max....

That is still pretty good and likely 300 fps or so faster than a 223 would do, however usually the opposite is true, the bigger the case, the more it performs the heavier you go up in bullet weight. I guess if you are trying to make the .22 bore into something its not, you are far better off stepping up to something in the .244 class

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I worked up a load yesterday with 77gr sierra MK. 27 inch broughton 5C. I used (starting load) 32.5 grains IMR 4350 to get 2795fps and worked up to 36.5 grains to get 3192fps. I bought some 75 gr Amax last night so if the chrony will work, i might be able to tell u more tonight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cowboy- I worked up the 75 Amax with IMR4064. My fastest load was 32.9Gr and average vel was 3215fps. I had no signs of high pressure(in my gun). My best load again was a little above 3000fps (3079fps) Do all barrels have a sweet spot where if u hit that velocity it will be accurate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am following this post with extreme interest...I am getting a 1:9 PacNor stainless for my 22-250 (a move up from the worn-out 1:10) and I want to see what these 75gr bullets can do. I like the BC's of these heavy 224's.

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For accuracy in the 75 grain Hornady line up, usually the 75 grain HP, is more accurate in my experiences than the 75 grain AMax....

the Amax will do more damage on critters tho....

If I had to pick one bullet for accuracy and long range shooting... but was not concerned about damage to the target ( non varmint shooting) the 75 grain Hornady HP would be my first choice..over the 80 grain HPs, and the 77's the 68 and the 69....

I haven't tested any of the Berger bullets....which would be fun to try...

But for generic bullets from the major manufacturers... the 75 grain HP hornady is my first recommendation...

cheers
seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, will a 1:9 stabilise that 75gr bullet?

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Yes it will....

Actually the factory one in 9 twist in my Savage, will stabilize the 75s and 80 grain bullets... all have been shot at MVs above 2700 fps....

So I don't know about at lower velocities, but definitely in faster velocities...

By the way, the Savage is a 223.... so the 22.250 will even be less marginal....