New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with O.L. variance with Berger VLD's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The first load I developed for my new 7RM loaded the 168 VLD over Retumbo powder. This produced 4 shot groups of 15" at 300 meters.

Next, I wanted to develop a load with the 140 VLD.

Now, when I went to load up more rounds with the 168 VLD, there is a 5-7 thousandths variance from one loaded round to the next due to the tip of the bullets not being consistent.

How do I set my die to achieve the original O.L.?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is your variance to the bullets ogive? With your .284 bullets, call it the .278 diameter location (close enough).
What most people want to keep consistant is the distance between the ogive and the lands, not the OAL.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner,

I, too, want to keep the distance between the ogive and the lands consistent and am not concerned about overall length.

What I need to determine is precisely to where my seating die was originally adjusted so as to replicate the original ogive to lands distance.

Is there a specific tool I can purchase?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15" @ 300 Meters ???. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO KEEP THAT ???. Eeker

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Good eye. That should read 1.5".

I found my old notes and have solved my problem. The original load was seated .010" INTO the lands so I'll simply seat a round to touch the lands, measure it then back the bullet out and seat it in .010" less than touching.

Bobby B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread makes a lot more sense now.

Why do want something else? The 168 bullet will be much less subject to wind drift than the 140. You might get more velocity, but what for? And the accuracy might not be as good.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bobby, Yes indeed there is a method which allows you to Duplicate the original Loading - if - you still have at least one of the original Bullets and have not readjusted your Seating Die. The instructions are written with the intent to change from OCL to ODL. It is fairly self explainatory, but if you have a problem with it you can send me a PM.

No new tools are needed if you have a set of 0.001" capable Calipers.

You do need to make sure those really sleek Berger VLDs do not let the Nose touch the bottom of the Seating Stem, or your distance from the Ogive to the Lands will never be consistent.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hotcore,

Your method and my method is one and the same. However, I did not test if the nose of the 168 VLD's were touching the seating stem. Never thought of it. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

Bobby B.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Bobby, variance in seating depth can be caused by variance in the finish and dimensions of the inside of your neck. When you are seating your bullets you can feel the difference in seating pressure. If you feel one bullet that is harder to seat than others then that bullet will have a longer OAL. The problem is exacerbated if you have a lot of bullet grip.

IOW if the inside dimension of your neck is .004" smaller than caliber then that is too much and your OAL will vary.

Lately I have been paying special attention to seating pressure and it has been paying off. I use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer in most cases which does not oversize the neck and provides approx .001" bullet grip. Also polish up the inside of the neck with steel wool on a 22 cal brush

and coat the inside of the necks with mica

The bullets go in slick and I have very consistant OAL measurements, both measured with a comparator and to the tip. It also pays off in velocity variation. The last 6 shots with my 338RUM chronographed 3191, 3182, 3182, 3189, 3189 and 3197 fps.

The great groups you got with the bullets seated into the lands also lead to the conclusion that seating depth consistancy is your problem since seating into the lands will negate the effects of inconsistant seating depth.

HC, is there any baling wire or duct tape in that antiquated method you are alluding to? hilbily knife animal

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
HC, is there any baling wire or duct tape in that antiquated method you are alluding to? hilbily knife animal
I know of no Reloading Procedure that can't be enhanced with a judicious use of Baling Wire and Duct Tape. Or Duck Tape if you are into taping Ducks! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The exact OAL you had with the original bullet can`t be found now with another, even from the same box. Bullet lgt varies even in the same box so you need to use one bullet for all set-up and measurments. A Stoney Point, Sinclair or other tool for measuring off the ogive is what you want. They will allow you measure any bullet ogive from case base which is the critical measurment when keeping a set distance from the leade.
As noted the seater must seat off the ogive and not the tip of the bullet to make any true measurments possible.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I either modify my seater stem or make one that touches closer to the ogive.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote