New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bar bet info
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
An eye-blink lasts about 1/10 of a second. That is the amount of time needed for a typical rifle bullet to travel 100 yards from the muzzle.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My calculations are that at 2800fps=933.3 YARDS PER SECOND divided by 10 = 93.3 yards in the first 1/10 of a second--So, technically no not 100 yards but pretty damn close so as you would not notice.

Hope you won the bet

Gary

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You both have miscalculated; have to factor in the fact that the muzzle velocity is not constant and velocity is ever decreasing; if it is 2800 fps at the muzzle, it is less at 100 yards; depending on the bullet. It is not a laser beam weapon.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gab & dpcd,

How can you definitely say Brice miscalculated? He never defined what he considered a "typical" bullet or cartridge was nor what muzzle velocity he assumed. Sheesh! What nit-picking over a bar bet!

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Now nit pickers dont go away mad, just go away!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Man just go have another. beer

If you are going to argue over little details in a bar bet you need more beer Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All I am saying is that you can't assume a constant velocity over any distance; you all already know that. The bullet traveling 100 yards in one second is often true, but not at a constant velocity. Gab's theory is the one I was commenting on.
You have to realize that I have nothing else to do.
Wait, I do; all those gun parts in my shop that people want worked on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually figure 1/3 of a second for time of flight for a 50gr .223 Blitz-King to fly to the gong-plate at 300 meters at my club's range... and just under another second for the sound of impact to return to my ears....

I spend an awful lot of time hammering at that plate with my Rem 700 VSSF .223 rifle...

and in an average week burn up about a pound of Reloader7 doing that...

I'm very good at banging that 8" square of 1" plate with any bolt action rifle I own.... I have been educating the "tacti-cool" club members of our club that the only thing relevant to calculating "wind drift" is not caliber or bullet weight, but "time of flight"

And "bullet drop" is also related to "time of flight".

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Well Shoot, with a 1/10th of a second any of us could dodge the bullet and throw our knife with effect at the assassin.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Confused Dull day ????? Roll Eyes roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK dpcd, I need to defend myself Big Grin and have you read what I wrote---It said in the first 1/10 of a second--that's all the op asked.
He did not ask and I did not reply to a longer range shot--there was no consideration of any velocity AFTER 93.3 yards.
perhaps you need to re-visit the clinton definition of what exactly the meaing of is-is.

There--I have defended my honor an smote another infidel killpc

Gary

In case you have thin skin-all in jest!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, you got me. I admit not thinking through this completely, before responding. I usually respond without reading or thinking at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you heat up the tar bucket, let me remind you that I said ABOUT 1/10 of a second. I'm talking rule-of-thumb. A 257 Weatherby takes about .09 seconds. A 300 Savage about .14 seconds Most of the hunting rifles found in a typical hunting camp will be pretty close to 1/10. According to my ballistics program. Sheesh!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This post reminds me of the Cleopatra Jones rule...

BLINK, AND YOU DIE IN THE DARK!!!

Sorry could not resist. Smiler

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Say what, 450? Must be a pop culture reference. Whizzed right by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You have to realize that I have nothing else to do.
Wait, I do; all those gun parts in my shop that people want worked on.

They've waited this long ...

NRA, Grass Roots North Carolina,Tea Party Patriots, National Association of Gun Rights, PHAshoots.net.

I drank the blue kool-aid - will work for brass.

Posts: 55 | Location: Lexington, NC | Registered: 24 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A bullet is fired parallel to the ground at the exact same time another is dropped next to the muzzle. Which one hits the ground first?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
A bullet is fired parallel to the ground at the exact same time another is dropped next to the muzzle. Which one hits the ground first?

THey hit at the same time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

THey hit at the same time.

Correct...kind of Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in a vacuum, with the down range level and the drop vertical....

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
....and is the target flying toward you or away from you and at what speed?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
and at standard temperature and pressure.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Depends on what planet and what velocity. Big Grin
If very little gravity, the bullet could be fired at escape velocity so it would never hit the ground. Also you need to factor in the curvature of the planet. space

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote