New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 norma bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Norma 9.3 232gr bullets , norma oryx or norma vulcan.

Is the Oryx a tougher bullet Like a accubond and the vulcan more of a non bonded core like a balistic tip ?

I read Norma's discription and doesnt realy explain very well

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi GSP7, good thing then for you that I am a Swede and quite familiar with the Norma line of products!

Oryx is bonded and is wery similar to Lapua Mega and Woodleigh RN in hardness and caracteristics if not in apperance, they look more lite the Woodleigh PP in the nose.

Great for moose and pigs, will not owerexpand and will give god exits on animals.

Vulkan (vulcan) is a standards lead core bullet, in the 323 grains .366 version it´s as soft as they come, while not being a varmint bullet dont expext exits on animals and stay clear of short range shoulder shots at moose, bear, wildboars.

If used right is a straight out killer however, I used it in my 9,3x62 to cull 3 farm pigs that escaped from a neighboring farm.

Couldn´t have exits, was in between farmhouses, couldn´t have them leaving, can´t have wounded pigs running around, had to have them down and out.

Summary was 3 shots, three dead pigs, all just slumped over.

Hope that these answers will give some guidance.

Best of luck.

Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris, Thanks, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

I recently got a m146 9.3x57 and have only used the low cost Prvi 285s so far at the range. I dug some out of the dirt at 100 yards and the lead had come completely out of what was left of the jacket cup.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:

Oryx is bonded ........Great for moose and pigs, will not owerexpand and will give god exits on animals.

My own experience with moose is that the 232gr Oryx if pushed WILL overexpand massively to the detriment of penetration. It is not a bullet to use on a raking shot on very large game such as moose in a 9.3x62 as I learnt to my cost. The recovered bullet weighed 231gr but was 3x calibre diameter with literaly no shank left. Despite being in a perfect line for the vitals it stopped short.

I will continue to use it for large red stags but not for driven moose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma advertizes both of them to expand pretty rapidly, but sounds like the Oryx is the tougher of the two.

1894mk2, what lighter bullet would you use for your driven moose, 250gr accubond?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will use the 250gr Swift A frame.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I just had some excellent results with the Barnes TSX 250g in the 9.3x62.
I loaded 60g of Varget behind the TSX with a Federal 210m behind all of it, and shot a three shot cloverleaf at 100yds. The following two were a little further off, but still quite nice.
The primers flattened a little much for me, so yesterday I pressed some more with 59 and 59.5g of Varget, and I'll head back to the range today to test.

Posts: 9091 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma Oryx is a Woodleigh PP. Like Norma TXP is a Swift A-frame. Norma never succeeded in making a bullet of their own. They make great powder and cases, but never a good bullet.

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll take exception to Niel's statement ! In 2002, I was invited to the Norma moose hunt and thereafter to a factory tour where I actually witnessed the making of Norma bullets, including the bonded core Oryx.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre, I too thought the oryx was made by Norma. Norma's advertiseing/discriptions include which bullets are made by other makers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get real, The Oryx had been around some 5-10 years before the Woodleighs were constructed.

Get one of each and compare then, nothing a like at all.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Niels:
Norma Oryx is a Woodleigh PP. Like Norma TXP is a Swift A-frame. Norma never succeeded in making a bullet of their own. They make great powder and cases, but never a good bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
232 Grains oryx vill be fast to expand in a x62 its was primelery designed for the slower x57,

If you wish to push use the 286 grain bullet instead.

/C

quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:

Oryx is bonded ........Great for moose and pigs, will not owerexpand and will give god exits on animals.

My own experience with moose is that the 232gr Oryx if pushed WILL overexpand massively to the detriment of penetration. It is not a bullet to use on a raking shot on very large game such as moose in a 9.3x62 as I learnt to my cost. The recovered bullet weighed 231gr but was 3x calibre diameter with literaly no shank left. Despite being in a perfect line for the vitals it stopped short.

I will continue to use it for large red stags but not for driven moose.