THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What caliber is that Golf Ball ? .338 yes it is !.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber is that Golf Ball ? .338 yes it is !.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's something some of you may or may not have already seen . I'm attempting to contact all my Old friends in Low places an see if they'll allow me to play with them .

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...-new-dimpled-bullet/

At the U.S. Army’s Aberdeen Proving Ground, a team of ballistics technicians, supported by some of the U.S. Army’s top sniper instructors, has been quietly developing a radical new “dimpled” bullet. The exterior of the bullet resembles the dimpled surface of a golf ball. The function of the special dimpled skin is to reduce projectile drag, providing a flatter long-range trajectory, and greater retained energy at the target.
.338 Projectile with MIM Exo-Jacket

In their pursuit of a lower-drag bullet, the Army tried a variety of designs, including bullets with circumferential drive bands, dual-radius ogives, and rebated boat-tails. The dimpled “golf-ball” design was considered a “long shot” according to the design team, but it has performed beyond all expectations. The nominal drag coefficient (Cd) has improved by about +.040, while cartridge muzzle velocity has increased by nearly 80+ fps because the bullet’s dimpled skin reduces in-barrel friction. What’s more — the terminal performance of the dimpled bullet has been “spectacular”. The Aberdeen team set out to produce a slightly more slippery bullet for U.S. Army snipers. What they ended up with is a bullet with dramatically enhanced long-range ballistics and superior killing power on “soft targets”.

Higher Velocities Achieved
There was a surprise benefit of the dimpled bullet design — higher muzzle velocities. Given the same powder charge, dimpled bullets exit the muzzle faster because they produce less in-barrel friction than do conventional bullets. This is because the recessed dimples effectively reduce the metal-on-metal bearing surface. Lt. Col. Eldrick revealed: “the added velocity was an unexpected bonus. With equal-pressure loads, dimpled .308 bullets will fly about 80 fps faster than normal .308 bullets. With the large .338-caliber projectiles, the difference is even greater… we can pick up nearly 150 fps.” Given the observed velocity gains achieved with dimpled bullets, Aberdeen designers are now working on dimpled shell casings for larger artillery projectiles.

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but:

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...to-fool-web-readers/

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Would the sniper be required to yell FORE after pulling the trigger?

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was trying to figure out how they got it out of the swaging die. It looked to me like it would stick.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thank doc -- we got added to thier list of "fooled sites" ..

GREAT CALL

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I heard that they work better in a reverse twist barrel because the back spin gives them greater lift.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't use them because I have a slice. sofa

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to see if anyone was paying attention and SOME of you are !. Although that was a spoof perpetrated by another site ,I was curious as too how many of you had actually seen it . Dimpling could easily be accomplished if it were practical , however rifling and spin rates of projectiles aren't good for dimpled projectiles !!!.

I can tell you that the Below link ISN'T a Spoof see what Colt is up too .

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2009i...aysessioniii8550.pdf

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote