Tools

Eargesplitten Loudenboomer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Do you know what it is?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I believe it was the Weatherby case necked down to .22 in an attempt to break the 5,000ft/sec barrier. That thing is way overbore and, quite frankly, absolutely ridiculous looking cartridge.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google it. The cartridge was developed by P. O. Ackley in an effort to exceed 5,000 fps. It did not. The answer supplied by thecanadian is correct.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Yes. I knew the AR members were too smart. It is a 378 Weatherby necked down to 223. Developed by PO Ackley for a guy named Hutton at Guns and Ammo, they wanted to see how fast a bullet could go.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
According to COTW it did achieve 4,600fps with a 50gr bullet and 105grs of powder.
Would be a rather expensive 22 cal cartridge to load for but I suppose if you wish to completely vaporise varmints this might be the cartridge to do it.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's easy to do; the M256 Tank Cannon fires rounds that routinely exceed 5000 FPS with a ten pound fin stabilized penetrator. (with ten pound sabot)

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Parker put it in his 1st edition. It was done as a joke you know.Yes it can be done,but a joke nontheless.He did love to play with abstracts though.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
I believe it was the Weatherby case necked down to .22 in an attempt to break the 5,000ft/sec barrier. That thing is way overbore and, quite frankly, absolutely ridiculous looking cartridge.

Right out of his book.

Purely experimental cartridge made especially for Bob Hutton of Guns and Ammo. Effort to set a world record velocity for the 22 cal cartridge. Made bt necking down the 378 Weatherby with a 40* shoulder

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Fischer:
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:

Right out of his book.

Purely experimental cartridge made especially for Bob Hutton of Guns and Ammo. Effort to set a world record velocity for the 22 cal cartridge. Made bt necking down the 378 Weatherby with a 40* shoulder

what's FUNNY is there is a former poster here that claims HE made it up ... just 20 years after the fact

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39624 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago - mid-nineties as best I recall - there was an article in the Precision Shooting magazine about the 22 E L. The writer wanted to compare barrel life with plain bullets and coated ones. (can't remember what sort of coating)

He decided to barrel two rifles for a cartridge with a REALLY BAD expansion ratio which would give him an answer quickest, and chose the 22 E L.

The barrel shooting un-coated bullets was completely stuffed after firing less than 100 shots, and I don't think the barrel shooting coated bullets did a great deal better.

Posts: 160 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
what's FUNNY is there is a former poster here that claims HE made it up ... just 20 years after the fact

I kinda/sorta miss his off the wall bullshit. It was at times very entertaining.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

I kinda/sorta miss his off the wall bullshit. It was at times very entertaining.

I don't miss it in the least. I also don't miss his threatening PM's and Psychotic rants...
Good riddance.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We got over 5,000 FPS with a 22-243 middlestead clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

What bullet and powder charge?

Thanks,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

I don't miss it in the least. I also don't miss his threatening PM's and Psychotic rants...
Good riddance.

+1

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah a guy was sitting next to me at a 1000 yd match...he had a 7/300 wea..after sight in and 10 shots my ears rang for three months with inner plugs, and headphones filled with those little orange puffs and then the muffs...loudest breaker rifle I ever heard..I was sitting about six ft from muzzle and slightly behind..don't know how he could take it ..